Author Topic: Transition to cow's milk from low lactose formula for 12 month old  (Read 6113 times)

Offline becky1969

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 230
  • my favorite thing
Not sure if this is the right place for this question, so move me if you need to!

LO is 1 week shy of 12 months. The last week or so I've started transitioning him from formula to Cow's milk. I'm doing it 1 oz at a time, starting with the AM bottle. We noticed by day 2 that he was starting to have some tummy troubles - just a little extra cranky, night sleep a bit more disrupted. By last night it was pretty bad - it took him 90 minutes to fall asleep, and he was CRYING, which is unusual for him (usually if he can't go to sleep, he just chats to himself with maybe a little fussing thrown in). Totally restless last night, with crying every 30 mintues or so. Finally, I gave him some Tylenol, and he slept a good 2-3 hours without a peep. He only had 4 oz. of whole milk yesterday, mixed with 4 oz formula (+ another 18 oz of formula over the whole day).

Today, he's also pretty fussy, and seems to be aggravated. He's also very sensitive to other foods -easily gets intestinal upset and gas.

He's on Enfamil Gentlease right now. Should I try lactose-free milk? I don't think he's lactose intolerant, just maybe lactose sensitive? He never gets rashes or diarrhea, just tummy upset, crankiness and sleep issues.

Anyone go through this? Have any advice?
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Enjoying the toddler years!

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Re: Transition to cow's milk from low lactose formula for 12 month old
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 22:57:11 pm »
We had the same problems with cow's milk .It also constipated Ryan worse .After a few eeks we switched to rice milk and everything settled down again .Cow's milk can be very heavy on the tummy , some LO's just take a while to adjust but Ryan's sleep was really bad .He had severe reflux too so we weren't sure what the problem was at first , wether it was a reflux flare up or the milk
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 17:36:47 pm »
We have reflux too! I've been wondering if that's an issue since he's really upset when we put him on his back (put on jammies, change diaper, put in sleep sack). But, we just came thru a honeymoon period where he was eating/sleeping great, so I think it's the milk making his tummy hurt.

I think I'll give him 3 days with formula only, then start lactose-free milk.
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Offline Elisabeth and Victorias mummy

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My baby sister, cute!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 18:05:44 pm »
I am concerned aswell with dd.  she had reflux as well and was on meds, after doing a lot of reading and talking to her pediatrician he said to change to lactose free formula, then she was fine, did not need meds.  Now that she is almost 1 yrs, I am concerned weather to switch her to cows milk or try latose free milk.  I read somewhere that babies who had an aversion to cows milk due to unablility to break down lactose, could outgrow this by one year of age.  Do I want to take the risk.  Can we try skim milk, then if okay go to 1 % then 2% then whole milk.  Has anyone done this or have experience with this.
u rl=http://lilypie.com][/url]  []

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 22:21:15 pm »
I'm not sure, but I think skim milk is no fat, but is still full lactose. You'd have to try a lactose-free milk if you're worried about allergens.
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 22:37:41 pm »
We used Gentlease for our refluxer as well.  When we tried regular milk we got green/runny/stinky poos.   Still get that if she gets too much lactose.  Does fine with lactose free milk.   
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline M2W

• Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 22:55:02 pm »

He's on Enfamil Gentlease right now. Should I try lactose-free milk? I don't think he's lactose intolerant, just maybe lactose sensitive? He never gets rashes or diarrhea, just tummy upset, crankiness and sleep issues.

Anyone go through this? Have any advice?

Weston was on lactose free formula because it seemed to work well with his system. When he turned one I kept him on the formula for the most part and on occasion gave him reg. whole milk...and then started to give him regular formula...and I'd say over the course of the next 6 months (he's 18 months now) it did settle in...but not at first, so I would venture to bet the lactose free milk would be a nice place to start and then on occasion ease in a little lactose into his diet and over several months his digestive track might mature a little more.

He may not be lactose intolerant, but it may bother his system at this time because of an immature digestive track...Weston definitly saw improvement with time, but I did not give him reg. milk or reg. formula daily...just 1 or 2 times a week...VERY slowly upping it. :) Hope that helps...

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 18:36:45 pm »
M2W-that helps TONS. I agree about LO being sensitive, but not allergic. He's sensitive to lots of foods. I've been thinking the same thing - that his digestive tract just isn't mature enough - so it feels WONDERFUL to hear someone else say it AND have a LO with same issues!! Other moms act like I'm being over-protective or something for not starting him on milk whole hog, or for avoiding so many normal baby foods (we tried them, and they made him miserable). But I know my LO! They don't agree! I'm going to go LOTS slower with the milk -even the lactose free. He's been sleeping so much better since I stopped the whole milk - 12-13 hours at night! We've had 1 wake-up for an 8 oz bottle (I still can't seem to fill him up enough during the day - probably b/c our solid food choices are so limited). But besides the wake-up, he's sleeping without a peep which is wonderful. When his belly is bothering him, I can hear him rolling around all night, fussing in his sleep. Even when I don't have to go to him, it keeps me awake!
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 18:37:43 pm »
One more question - when you say you only gave it 1-2 times per week, do you mean a full 8 oz bottle, or 1 oz at a time? How slow DID you go?
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Offline M2W

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 22:33:59 pm »
Well Weston is 19 months (or will be on Jan 3rd) and I still give him MOSTLY formula. I will offer him cows milk once or so a week as in maybe a 4 or 5 ounce sippy cup/bottle with a meal. (I offer him juice/water/formula for more often)

On occasion he'll ask for milk (signing) it's rare, but when he does, I'll give him a 4 ounce cup or bottle. For a while there I was letting him have a special treat of 'ovaltine' (about 4 ounces) in the afternoons and he loved that.

Well let's see...I would say VERY SLOW...my transistion wasn't really a process of one part this and one part that for one week, etc...it was more a offer a little here and see what happens, offer a little more later down the road and observe. And I didn't notice his tummy adjusting until closer to 18 months really.

He still is not on FULL  cows milk, only because I prefer formula. It travels well...I can put a can in the car and a bottle of water and not worry about it spoiling, etc. Milk would have to be cold, etc...

Some mothers feel that your child should jump straight to cows milk at 1 year of age, but I did some research and reading of my own when Weston turned 1..and honestly cows milk isn't all that great from what I found. I love MILK (myself!) don't get me wrong...but on the children's immature digestive system it is fairly harsh, compared to other options. Some of the readings I had read, suggested saving cows milk until age 2 (one even pushed for age 3). And others flat out said Goats milk is a thousand times better then cows milk for humans. (said that it's more like breast milk then cows milk and easier on the digestive system)

I feel Weston is getting plenty of his dietary needs from various foods...and for me to have formula or powdered goats milk (which by the way tastes just like cows milk if it's really cold...warm it's GROSS IMHO) is just as easy as buying a gallon of milk.

I talked with two of Weston's doctors on two different occasions and they both agreed that cows milk is not required for their dietary needs, and that formula is totally fine to offer for however long I feel I want to offer it. I asked about goats milk instead, and they both agreed that goats milk was a fine sub for cows milk.

So if you aren't in a rush to push the cows milk...then I'd wait a while...and just offer a variety of liquid options (if he's already good with his formula, maybe try the formula that is for older children...I think it has less calories...I give both...Weston's not picky on his formula) But try small amounts (maybe 2 ounces at a time) of goats milk, some soy milk, cows milk, juice, formula, etc...just to get him used to various flavors and I'm sure he'll have a preferrence and if not, great, we could all use some variety in our diets.

Strict rules on cows milk is silly (IMHO) I LOVE cows milk, but that doesn't mean I'll die if I don't get it for a day, week, or month...ya'know what I mean...Let his little system mature and all those foods will come to...but if you push them you can actually help develop an allergy.

Weston was very sensitive to various foods that gave him gas and made his nights miserable...so I backed off and stuck with pretty mellow foods I knew were AOK for long periods of time between the 6 month & 18 month markers...I actually had him on the B.R.A.T. diet for a while (a few different times), just to get his system back to a nice basic start. (are you familiar with that diet? Bananas, Rice, Apples, Toast) so you stick to bread, apple, banana & rice food choices...all fairly blan and safe on their tummies...good to do after a vomit/poopy virus too.

Sorry to ramble on...Just new memories keep popping into my head...lol

In a nutshell...stick to what works and let his little system mature...he's got his whole life to discover cows milk...what's another year or two ;)

Offline M2W

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 22:48:03 pm »
according to Dr. Brazelton a toddler really only needs the following to thrive. (so don't worry when your child goes on an eating strike) ;)

16 ounces of milk, formula, cheese, yogurt, or ice cream (or another diary alternative)
2 ounces of iron containing protein (meat, egg, etc) or iron fortified cereal
1 ounce of orange juice (or fresh fruit)
1 multi-vitamin (which is used to cover uneaten veggies)

That's not a lot really. But it's amazing how little these suckers can eat on some days and other days put the food away likes it's going out of style! LOL

Totally not related to your thread on milk, but wanted to throw this out there as well. I also read that many parents are the reason their children are picky eaters and it has NOTHING to do with taste...but rather they hit the age where they are asserting themselves and like to see mom and pop running around worrying if they are getting enough food...when they are really enjoying the 'no' 'yes' control of the game more then the actual food choices. (hence the reason one day it's no to peas and the next it's yes) Suggestion to deal with this is to not worry so much about making sure your child is getting enough (as long as they are getting the above list for the most part, they are fine) and your child will end up deciding that eating what is served is AOK.

Personally ~ I will serve a variety but if nothing in that variety is a choice Weston wants to make, then he's welcome to get out of his chair and go about his day playing until the next meal...eventually he's hungry enough to think whatever food options are good. ;)

Offline becky1969

• my favorite thing
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 00:35:18 am »
Thanks for the info!

I'm not worried about Owen getting enough formula, that's for sure! He's drinking 24-28 oz right now, which is ont he high end for his age. The little dude is about 23 lbs too, so has plenty of fat to go around!  ;D I may switch to a follow-on formula, like you suggest. My worry is more digestive troubles, hoenstly. Gentlease works, so I'm loathe to change it. My main concern about changing to milk is the cost. Gentlease costs a fortune! I was just so ready to decrease our food budget.

My LO eats plenty, so we haven't had any food issues as yet. In fact, he'll eat almost anything I give him (as long as he likes the texture!), but the issues come later when he's trying to digest it.  ::) I do worry about him becoming a picky eater simply b/c he doesn't have much variety due to all the sensitivities! I wanted him to be introduced to a wide variety of foods by this age, and instead we're stuck in a food rut because he just can't seem to handle much. Amount doesn't conern me - he eats what he eats, and I don't fight him on it. But I do fret a little that if he doesn't see a green veggie before age 2 then he won't be interested in them! I'm hoping 18 months will be a point at which he'll be able to handle mroe foods. IN the meantime, I'll keep introducing things in small amounts every few weeks just to see how his system is progressing.

Thanks again! I'll talk to my doc at our next appt about our progress.
Owen, 12/28/05 7 lb 2 oz

Offline M2W

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 15:11:56 pm »
Your little one sounds so similar to Weston...seemed with us, time is what we needed to get over that sensitivity to lactose. And now he's great with a variety...(which is nice, because I can get the cheap formula and he's good with it, or milk, or juice, etc...) Makes life easier for those days the fridge isn't stocked with everything. ;)

I'm not sure where you are located, but if you are in the states and have a wal-mart or costco near you, then you could try their store name brands of formula (run about $10 per can) and Wal-mart does carry a lactose free formula (parent's choice name brand) for about $12 per can. Which is MUCH LESS then similac or enfimil. Also, just to throw this out there, I did read one report that was talking about the cost difference of milk to formula and it said that it wasn't a very large difference and that most people think milk would be less money, but you use it faster then a can of formula, so it came out about the same. (now that said, I did not do my own ounce per ounce cost chart, so I don't know if that is fact or fiction, but it is what I read at one point during my cow milk research) :)

Lactose free cow's milk is pricy...so I'd try to get him on regular formula (using lactose free formula for a while then transitioning to a less expensive regular formula) then trying cows milk again at that point.

Best of Luck...their little tum tums are still growing and need a little more time. :)