Author Topic: Taking only 1/2 of each bottle  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Ydnic

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Cheese!!
Taking only 1/2 of each bottle
« on: December 30, 2006, 14:49:24 pm »
My almost 6 month old DS has recently begun refusing the second 1/2 of each bottle.  Up until he began refusing, he was doing a 4 hour EASY with 8 oz at each feeding.  I can get him to take a whole one (or the second 1/2) only before he goes down for a nap, which I hate doing.

We've begun solids, but he only gets those once a day, so I'm not convinced that is the issue. 

Has anyone else had this problem?  Should I start offering smaller amounts more frequently during the day?

Feel free to move if I posted on the wrong board, I wasn't sure where to go with it.

Offline Lªuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Taking only 1/2 of each bottle
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 16:35:29 pm »
Hi
Have you increased the flow of the teat, your LO may be getting bored.
There are many reason why a LO will suddenly stop taking as much as they used to;-

Tip's on how to get your LO to take more oz's during the day.

It seems that all our LO's go through phases of either drinking milk well or really badly. We have put together a few of our tips to help you increase formula intake during the day.

This is a troubleshooting guide to help you understand why your LO’s intake may have suddenly dropped and is NOT designed to get a LO to sleep through the night if they have not done so previously, they may not be developmental ready to sleep through.

1.   Does your LO need to be using as faster teat?
If the teat you’re currently using is too slow, your LO can become bored and stop feeding as effectively. Your LO may also start fussing at the bottle, pushing it away - using a faster teat may eliminate this problem.

However, if your LO is gagging and choking on the faster teat, stop using it - at that particular time it is too fast for them. Another option is too put a small pin prick in the slower teat as a temporary solution.

2.   Does your LO drain their bottles?
If your LO is consistently draining their bottles, this usually means that they are not getting enough - try and increase the bottle by 1oz and see how you get on from there. My health visitor always advised me that when a baby has had enough they would leave about 1/2 oz in the bottom of the bottle, if they drain the bottles they need more.

3.   Clusterfeed, Dreamfeed or do both.
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54662.0 – more information can be found here.

4.   Have you started giving solids?
What solids are you giving? Are you giving milk first? It may also be that your LO is getting too much food and has cut down on milk as a result of not being hungry. If your LO has been firmly established on solids, it is normal for their milk intake to decrease.

5.   Have you tried giving him a 5 - 10 min break then trying to feed again?
Sometime giving your LO a small break in the middle of a feed, is all they need to take another 1oz or so. If this happens all the time, it could also mean your LO has outgrown the EASY routine they are currently on and you will need to change it.

6.   Is your LO teething?
If he is teething he may pull off after a few oz's this is because the suction created from sucking on the bottle really hurts their little mouths. A tip would be to rub his gums with teething gel BEFORE you go to feed him.

Does your LO display any of the following symptoms;
* restlessness, irritability and disturbed sleep patterns
* sore, red gums
* flushed cheeks
* loss of appetite
* a slight rise in temperature (but not above 39oC, which indicates a fever)
* dribbling (which may cause a rash or sore, chapped skin on the chin)
* a sudden desire to chew anything they can lay their hands on!
* an urge to bite. This should not be perceived as a sign of aggression or anger, more of a means to ease the pain.
http://www.teething-babies.co.uk/easing-teething/index.html

7.   Is your LO constipated?
If your LO is constipated, it could mean that they feel bloated and full. Therefore, not able to take their usual amount of milk.  Constipation in children can be due to the same reasons as in adults - diet, fluid intake, illness or medication.

Constipation could occur for various reasons;

•   Formula. If your baby is on formula, it's possible that something in his formula is making him constipated. Ask your baby's doctor about switching brands. (By the way, despite what you may have heard, the amount of iron in formula doesn't have any bearing on constipation.) see links here https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=46892.0
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54638.0

•   A medical condition or illness. Though it's uncommon, constipation can be caused by an underlying medical condition such as hypothyroidism, some metabolic disorders, some food allergies, and botulism. If your baby passes hard, painful stools, you'll want to have his doctor check him out, just to make sure.

•   The introduction of solids. Don't be surprised if your baby becomes mildly constipated as he steps up to solid food. That's because rice cereal — usually the first choice during this transition period — is low in fiber.

•   Dehydration. If your baby isn't getting enough fluid, he will become dehydrated and his system will respond by absorbing more fluid from whatever he eats or drinks — and from the waste in his bowels, as well. The result is hard, dry bowel movements that are difficult to pass.

After about six months, or when babies start on solid of semi-solid food, bowel movements become more regular depending on the food they eat. The stools start to look, and smell, more like those of an adult.
At this point, babies may suffer from constipation as their young intestines get used to the nutrients in solid foods. Dehydration can also contribute. As stools accumulate in the intestine, they become harder and more difficult to pass. Any remaining moisture is reabsorbed into the body, making the stools even harder and causing more discomfort.
Once your baby is between four to six months old, you can start introducing more porridge and fruit or vegetable purées into their diet. These are rich in fibre and will help prevent constipation. Prune purée is particularly good for this purpose.

8.   Are you on the 'correct' EASY routine for your LO?
Is your LO wanting to drop a bottle? Usually when your LO doesn't seem that interested in either the 11am or 3pm bottle, around 7 or 8months (sometime later) try cutting to 3 bottles; move 11am bottle to around 1pm and skip the 3 pm bottle. So you give a bottle at 7am, 1pm and 7pm. (times are only a suggestion). By keeping your LO on an EASY routine that is not right for her growing needs, you may find you are trying to feed when he/she is not hungry. Follow your LO cues and not the clock.

Here are links to sample routines for your LO age.
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=10384.0 - Sample EASY routines, 0-3 months
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=10385.0 - Sample EASY routines, 3-6 months
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=10386.0 - Sample EASY routines, 6-12 months
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=22115.0 - Sample EASY Routines 13mth +

9.   Is your LO currently suffering from any illness or medical condition?
•   Cold/flu 
•   Reflux, wind or colic  https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=13.0
•   Dysphagia   https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=34256.0
•   Infection/virus - ear/throat, etc https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=17.0

10.   Does your LO seem easily distracted when feeding?
When babies become aware of their surroundings, they often become distracted by everything in their environment. Try feeding your LO in a quiet, darkened room. You may want to try and put a piece of brightly coloured cloth over your shoulder for your LO to look at.

Never force feed your LO, there could be an underlying medical problem - you need to check out with a health professional.

Don't count out your LO may just be a 'fussy' eater.

I hope you found this useful, please PM one of us if you want to add to the list  ;)
[/font]
Lauren x

Offline angelina and andrew's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • my two cuties.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 19:02:16 pm »
hi ydnic, im having the same probs with dd at the moment and its due to very bad teething!!
could ur lo be teething?
im at my wits end and am just trying to get these extra(any) calories into her. i feel like its acidental parenting but when she is is pain ill do anything to help her. :)

Offline Ydnic

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Cheese!!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 19:58:24 pm »
Thanks Lauren and Angelina's mum.

My best guess is that it is due in large part to constipation.  The poor little guy, I hate to watch him suffer, and I know exactly what you mean about accidental parenting during all of this! 

We'll try prunes tonight and hopefully that will get things moving.

Thanks,
Cindy

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 19:59:49 pm »
Lauren x

Offline angelina and andrew's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • my two cuties.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 06:31:46 am »
poor wee soul, let us know how u get on.xx :)

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 13:13:45 pm »
My DS suffered terribly from consitpation at 6 months old, and we found that it was the rice cereal that was constipating him.

We also used prunes and prune juice, and that got things moving, but what worked best was giving him some banana.  Although you do have to watch out for banana, as it is one of those fruits that can go either way, it can help get things moving or it can constipate.  With us it helped and still does keep our DS regular.

We also changed his cereal over to Weetabix instead of the rice cereal and that seemed to help too.

Please keep us posted on how your little man gets on.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Ydnic

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Cheese!!
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 13:14:07 pm »
Well, the prunes have been working.  His messes still aren't the consistency they should be, but at least he's able to go again.  We'll keep working on it.  I think it was the squash I gave him that was the problem. 

He's been doing a little better with his bottles too, thank goodness.

Hopefully we're on the right track!  I hate to see him so miserable.

Thanks everyone and Happy New Year!

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 19:44:19 pm »
That is fantastic news.  You might want to keep on offering the prunes for a few days until you know that he is completely back to his normal self.  You could also keep on offering the prunes at least once a week to ensure that your lo will keep things moving.

Happy New Year to you too  ;)
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007