Author Topic: Switching from liquid concentrate to powder  (Read 1035 times)

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
Switching from liquid concentrate to powder
« on: July 15, 2006, 17:48:01 pm »
We have been using liquid concentrate from birth with out 6-month old dd and recently thought we'd switch to powder. We use Enfamil A+, but in the follow-up formula it's only offered in powder. Well not long after, she became extremely constipated - poor thing has rock hard pebbles that make her cry when she passes them.  :'(  We're now back to liquid concentrate but without all the good omega3/6 unfortunately as for some reason they don't make the follow-up formula with that in liquid. So I'm wondering, have others found that powder can be consipating, or was it just the change?  She had been doing solids well for about a month before this switch so I don't think it was anything she ate.

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: Switching from liquid concentrate to powder
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 18:38:46 pm »
Do you have to use follow up?  Can you not go back to what you were using before?

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 19:17:54 pm »
I'm wondering that myself!  The follow-up is recommended because it has added calcium.  The first formula has the omega3/6.  Which one should I value more - the brain food or the skeletal food?!?  Does it make sense that los should be on the same type of formula at 1 week as they are at 6,7,8 etc. months???  Do their needs not change  ???  I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that breastmilk adapts according to lo's age - how our boobs know how to do that, I don't know  ;)  The follow-up formula is about $12 cheaper too, though $ is really no object obviously if one is definitely better than the other.  What do you think out there?

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 20:42:12 pm »
Mine was on a formula that had no follow up version.  Doc told us not to worry about it. 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 23:20:08 pm »
I haven't used follow up for either of my boys and they appear to be fine ;D.  If you really like the old one I would jus tgo back to it. 

Don't forget that she will get nutrition from solids now as well.