Author Topic: 19mths and still not sleeping alnight  (Read 1337 times)

Offline mummyto6

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 25, 2007, 07:50:44 am »
Hi all,This is my first time on here so if i'm posting in the wrong place sorry.Lack of sleep does funny things to your brain.Anyway my problem is my 19mths son is still waking through the night.He goes to bed fine about 7.30 awake and falls asleep on his own.Then he wake between 1 and 4 times anight. :'( Sometimes i give him a drink just to get him back to sleep.I know that is not a good thing to do but i have tried to leave him to cry and go back to sleep,it just doesn't work.Help please. ???

andibig

Re: 19mths and still not sleeping alnight
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 08:00:43 am »
((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))

whats his routine during the day? could be a sign of overtiredness.

i always listen to Sashas cry when she wakes in the night.if its what i call a "mantra cry" then i leave her and see if she settles herself.if its a different cry i go in and settle her my self.

Offline mummyto6

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 08:18:39 am »
Routine i'm not sure we have one any more :-\ .
Get up about 7.30 breakfast washed dressed
8.30 take older ones to school
12.00 lunch nap time about 1.00(in his pushchair)
5.30 dinner,then start getting ready for bed at 7.00 bottle of milk and put down at 7.30.He goes to sleep fine but wakes from 12 on wards
 :'(

andibig

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 08:24:31 am »
how long is his nap?
the routine looks pretty good from what i see.

Offline Layla

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 11:24:56 am »
Hi there, sorry to hear your having some sleep troubles with your lo at the moment. What do you do when he wakes at night. I've noticed you mentioned you give him something to drink to get back to sleep. Do you give him milk or is just water?

Layla

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline mummyto6

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 09:25:51 am »
Thank for the replies.Up until sunday night i have give him milk.I know i shouldn't,but last year he was really poorly with his breathing.He was in ICU for a week.So when we left the hospital i was so scared if he cried to long he would have another breathing attack.I found that by giving a bottle of milk he would go straight back to sleep.Anyway sunday night i only gave him water,which he wouldn't drink.After about 5mins he went back to sleep and woke at 6am.Last night wasn't so good he cried for about an hour but then slept till 7am.I have also started to put him in his cot for his afternoon nap.The routine i wrote above was on a good day,some days he wasn't having a nap at all or was but late like 2-4.

Offline Layla

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 20:52:19 pm »
I would bring the nap forward, especially if he is having restless sleep at night. Give him lunch say 11.30 and nap at 12ish. It could be that he is overtired by 1pm and can't settle to sleep. Where was he napping before (if not it cot)? Was he having late naps becuase he didn't get settled until 2pm or because of other commitments. Try to have him take a nap no more than 5.5hrs from the time that he wakes up becuase although he might sleep the full 2hrs, he is getting overtired as you keep him up longer and it accumulates over time. Good idea to have him take naps in a cot. If he's had no naps then get him to sleep even earlier - like 6.30 the latest, again because if you keep him up until his usual bedtime, he is getting overtired.

You could try GW if you are worried about the crying or wi/wo to get him sleeping continuosly at night.

Here's a link on sleep training for toddlers (from FAQ's): - https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63896.0

I would keep giving water (even though it is waay easier to give milk and have them go back to sleep). Eventually you can put a sippy cup (with water) on the edge of the cot and let him know its there so if he's thirsty, he can help himself.

Good luck & let us know how its going  :-*

Offline mummyto6

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 07:23:15 am »
Hi all,Another good night(better anyway).He had his afternoon nap from 12-2 in his cot.Before he was napping in his pushchair.I woke him at 2 i didn't what him to have to long and i had to get ready for the school run.He was sooo happy all afternoon.Then he went to about 8pm abit later than i was planning because grandparents came to visit.Anyway he woke at 12.30,i lay him back down and left him.He went straight back to sleep.Then he woke again at 3.30 and i just lay him down and he went back to sleep.Without a bottle both times and without crying for long.He woke at 6.30 and i got up with him,he had a bottle of milk and is playing happily while i do breakfast.

Offline Layla

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 10:31:02 am »
That is great to hear!  ;D ;D ;D. Keep the nap time at an earlier hour for now and the bedtime and honestly, you will see improvement. Sounds like he is doing really well!

Keep us posted
Layla :-*

Offline mummyto6

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 09:36:05 am »
Morning,My little darling is still waking,but i no longer give him a drink.I have to go to him and lay him back down.Some nights it takes him 30mins to settle others it 1hr 30mins,but i'm not giving up.Last night was abit better,but the other night i felt like a yo-yo settling him back down.He has a cold at the moment so it's hard for me to let him cry,he sounds so poorly.But i know just one night we set us back to the start,so i'm not giving in.One night he will sleep alnight.

Offline Layla

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 21:05:12 pm »
He definitely will sleep all night!!! If he has a cold, give it some time and maybe some meds for the nose? Generally I put off sleep training when my lo is sick, so if he is getting worse then give it a break and back into things when he is better (still no milk though  :P as tempting as it may be). You are doing a wonderful job & keep us posted

Offline mummyto6

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 10:22:39 am »
Hi Isabella & Jasmine mum and everybody else ;D.I have started to put Charlie (my son) down for a nap at 11.30 and have to wake him at 1.30.He now goes to bed on a night at 7pm.I now have a relaxing evening.Last night Charlie slept alnight for the first time. :o.He woke early at 6am,but i don't care about that if he sleeps alnight i'll get up early.

Offline Layla

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 10:30:38 am »
Yipeeeeee!!!!! ;D ;D ;D.

I just love posts like yours. Nothing like a rested mummy & baby.

Wishing you & Charlie lots and lots more sleepy nights!

andibig

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 19:11:59 pm »
I love posts like yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done and heres to more Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;D