Author Topic: Seperation anxiety and sleep training  (Read 764 times)

Offline yaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
Seperation anxiety and sleep training
« on: March 06, 2007, 12:25:19 pm »
So after almost 2 weeks of successful sleep training, out of the blue DS has started having a lot of trouble going to sleep at night, getting very upset and having bad naps and nightwakings grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Altho I have no idea why I have a feeling he's teething and its brought on some severe SA; (he's clingyer in the day too). Now, WHAT ON EARTH DO I DO???
For the past three bedtimes I have tried to soothe in crib with words and patting and he's eventually gone to sleep but the NW haev got worse so I'm wondering if maybe I should not reassure at all. Sounds harsh I know but sleep training only started working for us when I stayed in room and did nothing whatsoever to help the goign to sleep. He worked it out for himself and hey presto! My thinking is if he is waking at night upset then he still needs to learn to soothe himself or else he will keep 'needing' me even if it is for a few mins. Make sense?
Please give me your thoughts, feeling rather desperate again as things getting worse and I really don't want to fall into a rut again.
His behaviour during sleep training has always indicated to me that if I give a finger he'll take an arm, kwim? so my insticts is telling me that I should put him in his cot, stay in room but totally leave him to it, no matter how long it takes, need some advice tho pls??

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
Re: Seperation anxiety and sleep training
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 15:11:48 pm »
Your DS sounds like mine.  We went through many bouts of sleep training for the same reason, we'd do a very little and he'd come to rely on that (patting, hand, etc.).  We had to sit in the room, not making eye contact or anything, and more or less ignore him, while laying him down periodically.  It was the only thing that worked for us.  Eventually we were able to move out of the room.

Good luck with whatever you try!