Author Topic: Adjusting to nursery  (Read 921 times)

Offline Cluna

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: April 12, 2006, 13:06:33 pm »
My son is just over 6 months old. I wanted to see what issues had come up with babies and sleep/naps/feeding/illness when going into nursery. Background - A friend gave me The Baby whisperer book when he was just over 5 months old and I started EASY then - it helped so much.
I used PU PD to extend naps ans this worked for a little while although we only managed 1hr naps. When very young Rory used to fall asleep in pram/car or baby carrier when I walked the dogs morning and afternoon so very rarely napped in cot until last month . We have had a lot of upsets and obviously this has effected our baby -My Dad got very ill when I was 7 months pregnant and I travelled back and forth 4 or 5 hour journeys until he died when my son was 3 months old - so routine was difficult and I have been low at times .and I think I used every form of accidental parenting there is feeding to sleep/comfort/sleeping in separate bed with baby - if I missed one or two my husband used them instead!  I started taking my son out to lots of activities, swimming, playgroup, music - which he enjoyed, but I can see now this overstimulated him so I cut back on activities except once or twice a week in the mornings activity time, I cut down on the walks of the dogs and took them out in lo's activity time
Sleep was improving at night, we had gone to 4hour routine , naps still not great. Then one of our dogs got seriously ill and had to be put to sleep - I was distraught, Rory started tryouts at nursery and got a tummy bug so doctor advised breast feeding little and often.
Then he then I got a bad cold and he couldnt breathe at night. He also has developed eczema on his tummy and back. Also my husband works long hours and/or works away in the week so its been hard to get him on board with the EASY and PU PD - causing a bit of stress.
His sleeping at night is improving ie he is not waking so often and is self soothing sometimes
Re naps - Often when he wakes after 30mins or 45 mins he is smiling and eyes wide - Should I try PU PD because this makes him really cry and lasts for at least 30mins-45mins . Since nursery and his teething/cold he sometimes only sleeps for 15mins and they don't know how to get him back to sleep - I imagine there is just too much going on for him.
At nursery they won't put him in a cot yet as he may wake other older nappers so put him in bouncy seat - I've asked them to put him on sleep mat with his toy/muslim sheet and dummy and just sit quietkly with him to help him sleep but I think he is overstimulated.

When at home is routine is (is close to nursery escept naps even more erratic)

wake 6.30-7.00
Feed Breast/bottle 7.00
dress/play/
Breakfast 8.45 cereal/fruit
9.15-9.45 NAP (15mins to 1 hr)
Play/walk dog (often catnaps if out with dog)
11.00 Eat - MILK bottle
12.00 LUNCH - Veg and fruit
12.30-1.15 SLEEP (15mins-45mins)
PLAY with toys
3.00 EAT MILK bottle
 snack - rask/rice cake
PLAY - walk dog
5.30 -6.00 DInner veg or fruit
Quiet play
6.45 Bath/story
7.15 MILK breast/bottle
7.45 sleep
10.00 dream feed Bottle
Recently waking several times at night - when ill (teething/cold needed one feed - now just needs comfort to go back to sleep - ie I place hands on him - sometimes he does have bad wind and I try and help release that before putting down again)

He is average weight although his recent checkup he had dropped slightly from his target weight (centile)
MAIN ISSUES -
How can I help improve naps and intervene at nursery if necc?
Do you think eczema is linked to solid food ( started at 5 months but eczema only started 2weeks ago- corres with nursery and intro of rask buscuits/rice cakes) or perhaps stress of last few weeks?
I also changed to next stage formula milk but eczema had begun already.

Do you think if I start PU PD at home for naps if obviously tired it wont work if not happening at nursery?
Should I carry on with PU PD if he's all smiles and action when he wakes after 30 mins etc?

Sorry I realise this is loads of stuff - and a bit muddled

Cluna

Offline Cluna

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 09:14:00 am »
dear Stacy,

thanks for replying, I think he is overstimulated so probably is overtired especially when he's at nursery and there is so much going on all the time and because in the beginning we were out walking or out and about alot he's reverting to sleeping only when in motion!. I'm going to try to extend naps over next 5 days before he goes to nursery again - and looking at the wake to sleep posts to remind myself what to do. I find judging solids difficult as everyone has different views and some of the baby/mums I know are eating loads. but I think you are right solids may cause prob,  he has always had wind prob and its going to take time to adjust to solids although he seems to love eating and want more. I'm going to cut out rice cake/rask (see if wheat/sugar is a problem too) . He slept a bit better last night, He woke a few times but went back to sleep very quickly either by self or with a little pat from me, in the past wind has sometimes woken him up. He has always cried when put on his tummy so consequently if he has wind, it doesn't get released as much (because I haven't left him on his tum for long) He was sitting on own at 5 1/2 months but no sign of crawling, so I'm goin to work on some more fun stuff on his tummy with some rolling toys and games.
Doctor said eczema is common and he may grow out of it - given loads of creams etc and said its too early too judge whether food allergy or related to my hayfever and Dad's asthma - but I'm cutting out anything with wheat/added sugar, getting rid of dust more! and monitoring what if anything brings out rash

thanks again
Clu

textbook/touchy smiley nosey boy