Author Topic: 11 months - long periods of night waking. Affecting older DS and relationship  (Read 1007 times)

Offline BeanBoo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0

My DS is 11 months old and still waking loads in the night. Up to 5.5 months he was brilliant, with a dream feed went through to 6.30/7pm. Then he got ill just when I was weaning and it all went wrong. I think he was hungry in the night because he's a big boy and really needed to be eating food but because he was ill couldn't manage it, then I think he got used to being fed again at night. Then we did PU/PD once he was better and eating solids and I think he got overtired through the process and although he started sleeping through again he started always waking at 5am and not going back to sleep. Since then he has had tonsillitis and been really ill for 3 weeks and needed lots of love at night and I think he's got used to needing his back rubbed to go off to sleep. We've been away too, staying at 3 different places for the last 2-3 weeks and sleeping in a travel cot rather than his normal cot. But now, he's waking for 1.5 to 4 hours in the night, sometimes crying, sometimes just seems to want to play or sit on our lap and look around or doze. Quite often he'll settle down in his cot and we'll think he's asleep, wait the 10 mins like Tracy says but then he just starts wriggling and the process starts all over again. It seems that something just doesn't let him drift off. The night wakings are random, sometimes it is 11pm other times it is 2-3am. It's stopped the 5am waking though because he then ususally sleeps until 6.45ish. My husband and I are exhausted and having to go to bed by 9pm so don't really get a chance to talk anymore, my 3 year old is tired and grumpy through the day because she gets woken by it and we just don't know what to do or where to start but something really needs to change and we need some advice. The other factor is that he doesn't seem to give tired signals in the day. If we take him upstairs then quite often he yawns once we take him into the bedroom. Sometimes I'm not sure if we are forcing him to nap though as he seems to be happy playing and only shows signs once we take him upstairs. He is generally able to last 3-4 hours activity time but that takes him to 10-11am in the morning and then he's not tired until 3ish in the afternoon and then wakes around 4-4.30 ish but that seems so close to his 7/7.30 bedtime and sometimes he misses his afternoon milk or we give it late and it puts him off his supper slightly. He usually goes down at night OK but could the late pm sleep be making him wake in the night after an initial few hours? I'm wondering if moving him to 1 nap would help? When we were in hospital with him because of his tonsilitis we arrived at hospital at 5pm and were seen by doctors so couldn't put him to sleep but he didn't show any sleep signs until 10.20!!!! Can anyone help unravel this with me?

Thanks

Offline BeanBoo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I know I've rambled here but I could really do with some advice. Anyone?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Could you post what your whole day looks like in EAS format? It sounds like be may be ready for less day sleep and the startings of the 2-1, but it will be easier to see if that's the case when I know a little more.

Is he teething?

Does he go to sleep independently at bedtime?