Author Topic: He wants to wean...12 months...mum's not too sure!!!!  (Read 832 times)

Offline Andys mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
He wants to wean...12 months...mum's not too sure!!!!
« on: April 29, 2006, 04:53:20 am »
Andy is 12 months next weekend.  Over the last 2 weeks he has decided to go from a smorgasbord of 2 boobies each feed - 4 times a day to maybe 1 in the morning, none for morning tea (those lips are tightly pursed!), 1 in the afternoon and 1 in the evening.   He seems to be getting bored with feeding (waving to his shadow on the wall....smacking my boobie as if to say hurry up.....), instead of going to the second boobie he pushes away quite clearing saying he doesn't want it.   Nothing has really changed in our lives and my milk supply seems OK.  He eats like a trooper during the day and takes fluids (cows milk or water) from a straw cup) quite easily after his meals.  I also leave his water where he is playing and he helps himself.

He is teething quite badly to make things more complicated.  If he wakes during the night I feed him to sleep...which he is more than happy to do.

Do I resign myself to the fact that he is deciding to wean himself.....or do I listen to my sister who says I am feeding him too much therefore he doesn't want boobie.  I do feed him to appetite (which is quite large!!).

I had planned to feed him until 18 months...I guess I am sad at the possibility......

Any thoughts welcome!
Thanks,
Donna

Offline Monika aka annamum

• Showing Appreciation 7
Re: He wants to wean...12 months...mum's not too sure!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 05:50:51 am »
Hi there,

There are a few possibilities. First of all, this is such age for a toddler that everything seems more exciting than nursing which requires him to sit or lay down. A lot of toddlers were weaned because the novelty of walking and being able to explore took all of their attention, they just forget to nurse. It can be only a phase and it truly depends very much on you and your commitment to breastfeeding. Usually, if a mom keeps offering and doesn't take it personally, a child will eventually go back to frequent nursing and may even surprize you with a renewed interest in it. If you don't care too much about how long you want to continue, this is a good time to encourage weaning.

I experienced several waves of such behaviour since my dd turned one. There were times she was only interested in nursing once or twice per day, which was unusual compared to her regular nursing needs. I always wanted for her to keep on nursing, as I knew that very few toddlers self wean before they are two or even two and half. Now, I know these are just normal phases in natural weaning, a child has a period in which his need for nursing decreases that will be followed by a period of increased need for nursing. All in total, it gradually decreases over the time anyway, what I considered a typical frequency of nursings at one or one and a half is not typical for my two and something year old dd.

Trust your instinct as a mom, remember, your child won't take your breast if he doesn't want but you can keep offering and see what happens over a period of time. I am personally very commited to extended nursing so I would encourage you to keep trying.

Good luck!

Monika
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 05:53:26 am by Monika aka annamum »
tandem nursing mama to sweet Anna (Feb 2004) and Alexandra (born at home Dec 2006)

Offline Andys mum

• Showing Appreciation 3
Re: He wants to wean...12 months...mum's not too sure!!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 09:10:50 am »
Thanks for your response and advice.  I would like to continue to breastfeed, and like the idea of offering him a feed and see what he says.  Today for instance he had a big feed this morning, nothing during the day despite the offerings!...until 4.30pm...I have never seen this behaviour in him...he came up for a cuddle then was 'headbutting' my chest.....so I offered him boobie and he had 2....then he had 1 boobie before bed...despite a mini protest.

Fingers crossed it is a phase and we can continue.

Thanks again,
Donna