Author Topic: Nursing strike! Need help, please!  (Read 755 times)

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 25, 2012, 13:02:41 pm »
My DD is almost 11 months old, and just popped her first tooth last week.    She was pretty miserable during the teething process, but was getting better... until Saturday night when I went to nurse her, she bit me.   The surprise and pain shocked me, and I yelled out, which I think scared her, and she pushed back away from me, crying and got really upset.  I tried again to nurse her than night, and she would get more upset as I tried to put her near my breast.   I had been nursing her to sleep (yes, I know this is a problem, and was thinking that I need to stop that anyways, but this is not the way I wanted to do it).   So I ended up rocking her to sleep that first night.   She did "dream feed" when she woke at her usual time overnight Monday but refused to nurse throughout the day, even when I offered the breast in different positions, at different times... at times she should be hungry.   She did take EBM in a bottle.

So on Tuesday she didn't want to nurse all day.   I had even taken her to the doctor in the morning, as her diaper was dry in the morning, when it is usually soaked.   I wanted her to check for an ear infection, because other than the refusal to nurse and being grumpy, there were no other signs of illness, and doctor said she was fine, but to try to nurse/give fluids as the dry diaper was a bit of a concern, especially with the heat.   Doctor was surprised that she is doing a nursing strike, as she knows my DD loves to nurse.   DD is also small for her age (16lb 1oz at 11months) and not great at eating solids, so I had been relying on her loving to nurse!   

How can I get her back to my breast?   

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Nursing strike! Need help, please!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 14:47:54 pm »
There are loads of great tips for coming out the other end of a nursing strike in this FAQ - http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=89418.0

And this one has loads of information about nursing a baby with teeth! http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=93368.0
*** Amanda ***

Offline mom2elise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 14:38:12 pm »
Hooray!   She nursed this morning, both sides.    So happy.

kept pumping for last 3 days.... In fact, I think I'm making more than she needs now...But just gave her EBM in bottle in stead of forcing her to breast, and being really low key and offering her breast every once in a while.    This morning she nursed.

The upside of her nursing strike is that she's gone 4 nights without any feeds overnight, so now I know her NW is out of habit and not hunger.

So I'm going to continue to pump and give her EBM in sippy or bottle during the day, and only nurse in am as this will e much easier on bedtime and in preparation for childcare...   How much should I expect her to take throughout the day?   She is not the type of baby to down a whole bottle in one sitting usually, so I was going to just let her have her cup and drink it whenever she wants throughout the day.

She'll be 11 month old on Tuesday.    Eating 3 decent meals of solids...except that she doesn't really like meat. 

Offline Fiver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
Re: Nursing strike! Need help, please!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 18:18:10 pm »
Well done!  So glad it worked out.  There's a milk calculator at http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/ which should give you a rough guide of how much she might need.
*** Amanda ***