Author Topic: Routine/sleep needs of your 26-30ish month olds  (Read 1515 times)

Offline K-JDA

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Routine/sleep needs of your 26-30ish month olds
« on: January 04, 2015, 18:47:02 pm »
Just wondering what your LOs routines look like at this age and typical amounts of sleep and how quickly things change during the 1-0...

We have recently cut the nap after a few months of craziness which the wonderful BW site helped us through and are now doing

WU 6-6.30
Nap 1ish for 1hr15
Bed 7.30

So about 12hrs total sleep. Am thinking this is pretty average sleep needs, maybe towards lower end but wasn't sure....??

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Routine/sleep needs of your 26-30ish month olds
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 22:27:15 pm »
12hrs is well within the average amount of sleep but also worth bearing in mind that LOs this age have such varying sleep needs and varying routines. Some have already dropped the nap completely whilst others hold on to the nap for another year or more.
The age period you've stated is exactly when my DS's routine needed attention. For us attempted nap capping didn't work and neither did the occasional no nap day, both totally normal methods moving towards total nap drop but neither suited him at all. So we began that age period on 2hrs sleep and about 10 or 10.5 hr nights, nights went shorter and shorter (hence my attempts to tweak and cap) until it was more like 9hr nights. At 31 months he dropped the nap cold turkey and moved to 11/12hr nights.  So whilst the changes in DS's routine were showing clear sings for several months the real change happened very very suddenly.
Our routine when it was stable was
WU 6.00am
Nap 2pm - 4pm (2hrs)
BT 8pm

Offline K-JDA

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 07:03:24 am »
Thanks for this Creations.

I think I spoke too soon! Since I posted nights in the last week have gone to 10/10.5hrs max and now suddenly we have EWs for the past 2 days. He has also woken after an hour's nap. Days have now got really long and there is a bit of OT setting in. I have had to AP naps at home for a while now too at weekends so I guess I am not surprised.

Think I will try cutting nap to 1hr first or maybe even 45 mins and see if this helps. DS has been a chronic EW'er during nap transitions so this could be a long process!!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 17:27:12 pm »
Let us know how it goes - and good luck with the transition!