Author Topic: Ear infection and night wakings  (Read 800 times)

Offline atlanta

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 09, 2007, 22:04:57 pm »
Went to the pediatrician on Tuesday and he said my son had an ear infection in his right ear (it was his left last week) and that's the cause of the frequent NW's.

He wakes up with a pain cry at least 3 times a night - sometimes he goes straight back to sleep - other times the only way to calm him is to feed him, which i'm reluctant to do.

Has anyone been through this and can offer advice?

I'm giving him his medication just before bed and he slept about 4 hours straight through last night, but then woke up at 2 hour intervals.

Thanks.

Offline donna_issabella

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
Re: Ear infection and night wakings
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 22:19:13 pm »
Hi there,

Ear pain is one of the worst pains, as there is not much bar analgesia that you can do with it. i am so sorry for your LO having to go through this twice in about one week. Is he on antibiotics for the infection?

Best I can suggest is that you give him regular pain killers. I know it isn't always something as a parent you like to do, but if that is going to help him, so be it.

Regarding the feed. I think sometimes it isn't the nutrition as much that helps him settle, it is the mechanism of swallowing that probably helps relieve the pain in the ear. Think about how if you fly in an aeroplane and your ears pop due to the change in altitude and the increase in the pressure in you ears. darn painful But what do you do to relieve it? Yawn, suck a sweet or drink water. The movement helps the eustachian to open up and equalise the pressure. Probably what helps your LO too.

If you don't want to feed, absolutely fine. But if you could perhaps do something to help emulate the movement or swallowing, that alone might help. But I am sure there are more experienced mommies who will be able to give sensible advice. :)

Good luck!!!
DI

Offline momofclaire

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
Re: Ear infection and night wakings
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 01:00:02 am »
PP is very right about the eating to relieve pain.  Instead of feeding you can offer a bit of water in a bottle that way he won't get used to getting calories at night and thus taking less during the day. 
You can also prop his head up a bit as this helps to relieve pressure.  The pain is as its worst when laying flat.  We put a pillow under Claires matress on one end to prop her up.  We actually still let her sleep that way because infections occur due to mucus pooling in those little tubes and being more upright helps with drainage.  She's had several ear infections although we have managed to escape tubes so far. 
Don't hesitate to give the pain meds when needed.
Hope he feels better soon.
Myia
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]

Offline atlanta

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 15:24:18 pm »
Thanks so much. I'm already propping him up at night - but i'll try the water and pain killers and yes he is on medicine.