Author Topic: Just - why? So frustrated!  (Read 40179 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: Just - why? So frustrated!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 11:01:49 am »
I do offer boob again after 15-30 mins, but she's never interested, just cries when I bring her to the breast.
Would she ever latch on her own given the chance? I know if I have a shower and I pick DS up without a bra on, he bends down and latches of his own accord... I do think this may change a little once she's not taking as much at night too.

Agree maybe she will take more once she's not feeding at night but I think the not feeding at night will have to come first. She's either interested or she's not, and when she's not, she gets really cross with me. If I happen to be hanging about naked maybe... but that doesn't happen very often ;)

Quote (selected)
I always try to resettle at night if it has been less than 4 hours since the last feed, but she's so noisy that if she doesn't settle quickly (like within 10-15mins) I have to feed her so she doesn't wake up Stan.
Is it possible to send DH and DS off to a grandparents/friends place or off camping or something for a few nights so you're not having to feed if she won't settle?

Can't happen really. They don't have anywhere to go, it's not camping weather, DH usually has to work at least some of the time at weekends. Stan has had sleepovers at granny's but never more than one night and I don't think he's old enough, he would miss me.

In Audrey's defence though, it is rare that I feed her before 4 hours. Most often it is four hours + it is just that there are additional wakenings in between times so even with two feeds at night I am often going in to her 3 or 4 times. So for example she will feed at 10, wake up at 1, be resettled, and then wake up again at 4 - which tells me she wasn't even really hungry at 1.

If I set Stan up in my room with ear defenders, and DH on the couch - or DH and Stan in our bed and me on Stan's bed in the room with Audrey - I think that might work.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 11:09:25 am »
If I happen to be hanging about naked maybe... but that doesn't happen very often
Once a day after a shower  :-[

Fair enough. Are you happy to give cold turkey a go for at least one night and get some observations?

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 11:18:31 am »
Fair enough. Are you happy to give cold turkey a go for at least one night and get some observations?

Yep, gonna do it tonight. Do you think I should insist she go right through til morning? Or allow a feed at say 3-4 am and then drop that one too in a couple of nights' time?

If tonight is awful, Stan can go and sleep at his gran's tomorrow night to get some peace. She's out Saturday night but he can stay again Sunday if he wants/needs to.

Offline becj86

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 11:25:45 am »
Yep, gonna do it tonight. Do you think I should insist she go right through til morning? Or allow a feed at say 3-4 am and then drop that one too in a couple of nights' time?
Sweet! A woman of action! I think you resettle her til she wakes clearly hungry - ie. waking within an hour or so of falling back to sleep generally indicates she's hungry. She will likely be hungry sometimes tonight and I'd probably do a feed around 3/4am if she's needing it but keep it to one side. Really the aim is to see how far she can go and how well you can transfer those calories to the day. Once she's filling up in the day more, she will be able to go longer without a feed too.

If tonight is awful, Stan can go and sleep at his gran's tomorrow night to get some peace. She's out Saturday night but he can stay again Sunday if he wants/needs to.
Sounds like a good fallback plan. He may want to after night one... who knows? it might be great!

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 13:46:37 pm »
Had a 30 mins nap and couldn't resettle - no idea if cecause it was close to 4 hrs between feeds? Trying to BF her back to sleep now so she's not OT to start the night...

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 17:47:52 pm »
Just jumping on to support you, Anna. Hope it goes well tonight!  :-* :-*

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 17:52:21 pm »
Thank you Katie!! :-*
Well for the first time, like, ever she didn't take a good bedtime feed. Only one side, wouldn't consider the other. I hope it's because she ate loads of supper. Oh well!! Stan and DH are briefed, I am braced - and baby Audrey is in for a surprise!

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 18:51:06 pm »
Good luck Anna! I hope it goes well for you tonight!
Elise

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 19:59:13 pm »
am hanging about in support!!
Why do birds sing in the morning? It's the triumphant shout: "We got through another night!"

DS1 -January 2009, DS2 -July 2011

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 21:59:34 pm »
Oh my - it is 11pm and she has been awake since 9.30. Not constant crying, but on and off, trying to settle. Really hope we both get a little sleep before the next NW...

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 23:09:43 pm »
(((Hugs))) Anna, you've been through this before. Remember how worth it it is in the end! :-* :-*

Offline anna*

• My two
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 08:26:20 am »
She did great last night. But gosh it always seems like this baby is one step ahead of me and anything I plan, she has other plans.

So she was awake and grizzling/crying on/off from 9.30-11... eventually went back to sleep... and slept til 5am! At 5am I was pretty surprised but also confused about what to do. She had already gone 10.5hrs since her last feed and tbh I was afraid that trying to resettle her would mean starting our day. Also, my boobs were about to explode.

I fed her from one side. Tried to limit it, 4 mins (although a 'normal' daytime feed is only 5-6 mins and I know the milk was coming out pretty fast). But thank goodness she went straight back to sleep after and had to be woken up at 7.10.

Offline Avery3

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 09:45:30 am »
hooray! sounds like a succesful night really!!!!
Why do birds sing in the morning? It's the triumphant shout: "We got through another night!"

DS1 -January 2009, DS2 -July 2011

Offline becj86

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 10:23:59 am »
Full steam ahead for another cold turkey night tonight then? Maybe she's sensing the determination in you...

Nice she slept such a long stretch. :D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:59:02 am by becj86 »

Offline ENMS

• Showing Appreciation 63
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 10:38:16 am »
Yay Anna!!! :D
Elise