Author Topic: Nap scheduling question for 11 month old  (Read 1136 times)

Offline mom2william

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Nap scheduling question for 11 month old
« on: February 24, 2006, 21:07:11 pm »
My DS was having early waking problems but this seems to be getting better (holding my breath!).  Anyway, he is occasionally sleeping until 7:00-7:15am.  I was wondering if him falling asleep for his morning nap after 10:00am is a problem?  Because that pushes the PM nap back to around 3-3:30pm.  Take today, he got up around 7:15am and went down for his AM nap at 10:15am.  He slept 'til 11:45 which I feel is a bit late.  He took a while to fall asleep for his PM nap; didn't fall asleep until almost 3:30pm.  His wake times are about 3hrs/3 hrs. 15 min before his AM nap and about 3.5 hours before the PM nap (I'm STILL working on how long he should be awake before the PM nap!) 

So...I guess my question is when is too late in the morning for a morning nap and when is too late for a PM nap?  Does it matter??  Also, is it OK to let him sleep past 7:15am?  (this almost NEVER happens but just wondering).  I've always gotten him up by 7:00am but as I said, I haven't had to do that in about 3 months as he's been waking too early and is just now coming out of this habit.

Just wondering if anyone has a LO that wakes around 7-7:15 am and what their daily schedule looks like.  Maybe I should post this on the EASY forum as well?

Thanks!
Suzanne

William born 3/23/05
Bennett born 3/3/08

Offline Carter'sMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • Windsor, Canada
Re: Nap scheduling question for 11 month old
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 21:58:50 pm »
Carter generally wakes at 7:00 - 7:15 am and I find that it defintiely interferes with naps.  I guess if I didn't value my sleep so much I could get him up earlier  ;)  I find that his first nap is at 10:00-10:30 which he will go down really well for.  His afternoon nap most days isn't until 4:00pm!!!  :o  Even if I start trying at 3:00 he won't fall asleep until 4:00.  I always make sure that I get him up by 5:00pm though.  His bedtime is then at 8:00-8:30pm and he is difficult to put down.  I think when the naps keep getting later and later like this then it is time to start thinking about one nap  :(  Carter has had 2 days with only one nap and he handles it fairly well and even goes to bed a little early.  He is starting daycare on Tues so I am sure that everything will become extremely messed up!!!

HTH
Cathy - Mama to:
Carter Luke - March 29, 2005
Mason Henry - April 7, 2007
Daphne Catherine Grace - May 30, 2010

Offline Paulsmama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 23:04:33 pm »
Way to go William and Suzanne!

Paul generally wakes 6:40-7 (I wake him at 7 unless he had a BAD night), and falls asleep for his naps around 9:30 and 2/2:30.  I limit his am nap, though, to get the pm nap to start in that window.  If he's not up from his pm nap by 4 then it starts to interfere with bedtime since we are still doing 4 bottles and I have to space out his feedings at the end of the day or he throws up. I don't like to push bedtime past 7:30 because he has a harder time going down.  Our typical A times are 2.5-2.75/3.5-3.75/3.5-3.75 though he's REALLY tired at the end of the day before his bedtime bottle.
Cynthia

Paul--spirited/March 2005
Joseph--touchy-textbook??/Sept 2006

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 01:11:18 am »
Hi Suzanne,

I thought I'd reply as we're also having problems with the timings of naps here. I'm lucky in the morning, as ds very rarely gets up until 9am, which is great for me, as I never go to bed before 1am (I know, idiot  ::), but old habits die hard). It does mean, however, that he doesn't have his 1st nap until midday, wakes up around 2pm, and then it's a dilemma as to whether he has another one or not. His bedtime is 7pm, so 2-7 is too long A time, but, if I try a nap in the pm (as I have done recently) he doesn't go down until 4.30pm, so doesn't wake until 6.30 - no good for a 7pm bedtime  ::) :P.

What I have been doing is, if I do put him down for a pm nap, waking him at 5.30pm, doesn't matter how long he's been asleep, or taking him out in the pram for an hour so he can relax, and maybe doze, when he starts to get cranky around 5pm (that one's good for the waistline, too  ;)).

I know that's probably not much help to you, just wanted to let you know how we are dealing with this 2 to 1 craziness here  :)
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline mom2william

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 14:14:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply's everyone!  I think him waking at 7:00am will be a rare occurrence since he woke at 6:00am this morning!   ::)

It helps to know what other people's awake times and naptimes are.  He is really making me crazy because most days, he rarely shows tired signs! 

Appreciate it and we'll hope for continued sleeping in later!!!!  Believe it or not, 6:00am is an improvement  ::)

Suzanne

William born 3/23/05
Bennett born 3/3/08