Author Topic: Just wondering if your 2 year old does this.  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Just wondering if your 2 year old does this.
« on: February 17, 2008, 02:19:37 am »
Zach is 2 1/2, he will be 3 in August.  I have known pretty much from birth that he is a very sensitive child, very aware of his surrondings.  I have a book called the Highly Sensitive Child and it describes him perfect.

Anyhow he pays SO SO much attention to details.  The smallest thing.  For example tonight, he pointed to his wall and asked what "this".  Well it was a paint speck on his wall about the size of the tip of a pen.  He always points out things that are out of place, or the smallest little piece of dirt on the floor.  I sware just things you would not even imagine or think most kids would pay attention to.

He also remembers things that happened like a year ago.  He never ever forgets anything.  He is still asking me "Where the pumpkins went, that we had on the porch 4 months ago".

Here is another example:  You know those I SPY books, We have one where there is proably about 100 different things hidden on the page.  Well you can ask him where something is and he looks around for a minute and points it out.  I think the book is for like ages 10 or older.  We bought them just thinking he would like to look at it.  Now it is his favorite book.  Every night he points out new stuff.  Pretty amazing.  It is like those Where's Waldo books.

So here are my questions:

1.) Does your toddler pay attention to the smallest thing, noise, dirt, speck of dirt on the floor?

2.) Is this pretty smart for him at his age to be able to look at a book filled w/ about 100 different stuff and colors and be able to point out stuff?

3.) Off the subject, but is your toddler just so afraid of heights?  He hates to be lifted up in the air, flipped upside down and heights.  If we go to a park, he does not play, he would rather walk on the wood trails.

I am not asking because I think anything is wrong with him or anything.  I know he is a very alert and sensitive kid.  I am just beginning to think I have a little genius on my hands, but then again it all could be so normal.  He also already knows what a quarter, a penny, a dollar, all money is and can pick them out. 

Maybe he is like the rain man :-0  Just kidding.. Really he is not like that, but I don't have any friends that there kids will just sit down and look at a I spy book or that pays attention to the smallest little detail.  So I have no way of knowing if that is common or not.

-Wendy
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
Re: Just wondering if your 2 year old does this.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 02:26:32 am »
Hi Wendy,

Catherine is exactly the same the best thing is a few weeks ago she pointed up to the ceiling and said "Whats that" a few marks on the ceiling neither DH or i had noticed.
Catherine is also very bright she knows colours lots of animals numbers.
As for heights Catherine LOVES it she is a dare devil like her Daddy. On the swing she is constantly says "Higher" to us.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 09:39:14 am »
Thomas does the same, notices things we never do!

Offline RyansMum

• Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 10:16:51 am »
Ryans memory amazes me sometimes, I can't get over what he remembers (though as a child and now as an adult I remember an awful lot of stuff going back to 2 years and one memory of being a babe).

He is always asking a lot of 'Whats this' and sees things before I do like planes in the sky etc.

As for heights Ryan is getting quite adventeous at the moment and jumping into the pool, ball pools and climbing things without wanting my help!

em_here

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 12:58:54 pm »
Jack is the same too, notices everything and remembers everything, my mums dog died a year ago and he sometimes still says "Bobby is gone to the angel in sky" and it astounds me!

lilmonkey

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 13:36:34 pm »
DD is like this.  She would even notices the pimple on my face before I even noticed it.  I think that it is normal for children to notice the littliest details.  We encourage this with I Spy games, memory games and naming games.  I've read taht children with very good memories do very well in school.

And of course your lo is a genius Wendy   :) :)

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 18:58:02 pm »
yeah it really does amaze me.  I am very detailed person also, but he still notices things that I don't.

Whenever we are out, he will say "look mommy, yellow firetruck.  Today he said "look mommy a bulldozer (he says bulldozer clear as day). that's a green bulldozer.

:)  I just love this age
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 19:31:10 pm »
Just had to share:  i got some cloths out of the dryer today and he picked up one of the babies cloths and said "Baby wear this to see santa claus at mall".  Tyler wore that outfit 2 months ago when we saw santa claus.  Amazing memory!!
Wendy -

Offline Alibobs

• Showing Appreciation 91
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 19:38:01 pm »
dd is exactly the same.

She recently asked questions about a funeral we went to for her cousin 11 months ago, and which has never been mentioned again. She described the church and gardens in detail and asked about where the baby was now.
You also gets very distraught if you say you'll do something and forget about it. She NEVER forgets.
Also, with the checking for things, she will often point out things that it takes me a while to see.  ::)

I don't think she's particularly bright though, just normal for her age.
Alison, mum to

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 19:59:37 pm »
Woo too.. lol...

2 and a half - 3 sees such an explosion in the children being able to think and understand and communicate - it's so exciting!!

H xx