Author Topic: Complete meltdown at bathtime  (Read 1370 times)

Offline RyansMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
Complete meltdown at bathtime
« on: February 29, 2008, 20:06:45 pm »
Hope this is the right place to put this.

Since my son was very young he has had a bath everynight.  He always loves his baths and as he has got older he likes to help wash his hair and body.

A couple of times when washing and rinsing his hair he has forgotton to close he eyes and shampoo has got in. He has naturally got upset and we have cuddled and rinsed all the soap away.

Now for the last 3 nights he has got very very upset and the last 2 nights he has tried to get out of the bath.  I let him watch me wash my hair this morning and told him that was how we would try his (head back and shower head) but this evening he went into full meltdown and basically had a serious tantrum.  We tried our very best to calm him and I did manage to get him to wet my hair but that was it.  So we had to force him to have his hair washed and right in the middle of rinsing he stopped the tantrum and just sat there while I did it!  I explained what I was doing and even though I was finished rinsing by this stage I got him to tip his head back and he was then ok with it.  We all had a massive cuddle and after that he was happy to be in the bath.

Basically I want to persevere with the shower head but wanted to hear from anyone else who had a similar experience and how you overcome it.

Thanks!

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Re: Complete meltdown at bathtime
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 20:17:13 pm »
We had a phase of meltdowns at hair wash time , we got passed it with the use of goggles
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Showing Appreciation 52
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 19:48:26 pm »
My son is not called Ryan, can I post here please ?  ;) :D

We still haven't worked out the hair washing thing at nearly 3.5 YO. I now go in the bath with him and I ask him to put my face cloth over his face whilst I rinse and I use a cup rather than the shower head.

Nadia, I love the idea of the goggles  ;D Can't wait to try that one next time we're due a hair wash

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 19:50:41 pm »
we have one of those things that look like a full ring but leave the hair out of the top.
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 19:57:23 pm »
We did use the face cloth over the eyes at first but he still went  ' nuts ' because he hated the water on his face he gasps as if we are drowning him ::) . Now the water still goes on his face but he's ok with the goggles .I find it quicker and easier to use the shower head plus can't use bath water to rinse because it's got shampoo and bubbles in and I tell him it's dirty water  , using the tap to fill a jug the right temp takes twice as long. We did try one of those shields but Ryan hated it
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline RyansMum

• Minecraft mad!
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 14:01:57 pm »
I really like the idea of the goggles will try that. No bath last night as visited Grandparents and got there quite late. No chance to get goggles for tonight but will try and get them in the week.

I also go in the bath with him and also he likes to have Daddy in with him a lot, made no difference and he had been loving his bath and had no problems until last week  :(

Offline RyansMum

• Minecraft mad!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 21:44:55 pm »
Well just thought I would give an update.  Ryan got a little worried at bathtime and tried to get out when Daddy got in but then we explained about the tipping his head back again and the shower and he sat there quietly and let my DH do it!!  He had a great bath after that, he didn't want to shampoo his hair, DH did that, but he washed his face and body.

I am still thinking about the goggles though Nadia, great tip!