Author Topic: Changes after kindergarten : early wake ups  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Changes after kindergarten : early wake ups
« on: December 11, 2014, 04:10:56 am »
Good morning, my 1.1 year old boy went to kindergarten  2 weeks ago.  Since then his wakings started at 5 am. We tried to put him back to sleep but with ought any results   
His easy :
 Wake up 5 am.  ( before it was 6)
Nap: 12-13:30
Bed time 1900

Because of the kindergarten he only sleeps one nap. He use to before taking 2 naps , each one 40 min. But lately if I put him down to a nap at 9 am he sleeps 1.30-2  and won't sleep afternoon. So he is tired off course
Tried to early his bedtime by 30 min yesterday, so he woke up even earlier.  I don't understand is he overtired or under tired? When should I put him to bed now?
Another thing : he doesn't usually wake up at nigh so he wakes very hungry and very wet dipper. ( even his closes wet sometimes , maybe those things makes him get up early too? Should I change something ?
Thank you

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: Changes after kindergarten : early wake ups
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 09:49:15 am »
I would think that is is OT Hon and his night is only 10h - typical for OT babies.

What I would do is to make him to have another nap somewhere during day and here I would go for two solutions:
- try for a second 15-20min nap around 4-5pm to prevent OT at BT - is it possible for you? My LO is 10mo, in the nursery from 5,5mo and he will not sleep in the nursery if they put him at 4pm for a second nap (first nap is 11:30-1pm), but if I manage to get home until 4pm, he settles easy for another 30min nap in his crib; a good way of making him to nap for the second time is also to let him sleep in a car seat around 4/5pm when I do the pick up; as your LO is older and may refuse second nap I would say second option could be the only way of making him nap
- try to make him nap in the morning for 20-30min (not longer) and than put him on a second nap slightly later than normal; however here you can do it only at weekends probably if LO is in the nursery whole week - but it's also worth a try.
~Marta

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 12:51:05 pm »
tnx for your suggestions' unfortunately its not very practical  to change the kindergarten naps. im taking him home at 5 so its too late for a nap. they sleep only one nap at 12:30. so i dont really know what to do... and on the weekends i notices' we put him down at 9 he sleeps till 10"30  and refuses to go for a second nap afternoon' so  he is tired again...

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 13:08:07 pm »
Just to chip in, ITA with Martii in that he sounds OT. I would do BT by 5.30pm at the latest if you pick him up at 5. Not ideal I know, but it may help get over the OT for now. Hold it for around a week and see if the nights lengthen and/or the nap lengthens at kindergarten.

Then I would look at moving that nap out when he's at home as obviously he's no longer wanting to be on 2 naps. Perhaps you could pd a little earlier than your kindergarten does maybe at 11.30am and let him sleep as long as he wants to catch up (obviously not over 3hrs or else that might impact his night sleep). Wdyt?

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 13:16:20 pm »
Way at 5:30 ? Wouldn't he be up by 4 am ??  I will try to earlier his bed time and see. 
About the weekends : he never sleep more then 2 hours max.  So he basically has 6 hours till he goes to sleep so of course he is tired. 
I will star with even early bed time.  But for a future; is there a way to put him to bed around 7:30 ? Or it's too much

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 13:28:23 pm »
No, if you remember before when you had OT with him, the earlier BT did not necessarily mean an earlier wu in the morning. You're just giving him chance to catch up on the missed sleep.

If he sleeps 2hrs when he's at home, you could keep to a 13hr day at most (including moving the nap to 11.30 not 9am), but tbh as he's catching up those days he might still want a slightly earlier BT.

In order to get to a 7.30 BT you will need him to wu in the morning at 6.30am and sleep for 2hrs at nursery.

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 13:33:55 pm »
thnx for your help.
dont u think the facts that he is  hungry and wet ' got to deal with waking early? 
h e just loves to eat and eats alot during the day' so maybe its too uch for him not to eat- 10 hours...

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 13:37:33 pm »
If his clothes are soaked through then maybe yes that's why he's waking early too. Have you tried going up a size in his nappy/diaper to see if that helps?

In either case, it's still too long of a day on a 1.5hr nap at this age especially as he's just moved over to one nap 2 weeks ago. Ideally he should be on a 12hr day or slightly less.

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 13:44:04 pm »
we tried the biger sizes' doesnt work' he sleeps on his tummy so it leaks a bit trough there to the shirt ...
ok tonigh we will try the early bed time' althought- yesterday i allready put him down an hour earlier and he woke up even earlier then 5...

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 19:31:38 pm »
Thought this thread might provide some helpful ideas for diapering at night. Soaking through his diapers at night

h e just loves to eat and eats alot during the day' so maybe its too uch for him not to eat- 10 hours...
If he loves to eat and eats well, then no I don't think 10hrs is too long for him to go without eating. I think the other ladies are spot on in that the short nights are due to routine and OT.

and on the weekends i notices' we put him down at 9 he sleeps till 10"30  and refuses to go for a second nap afternoon' so  he is tired again...
I think though, what Marta suggested is to let him only sleep 30min for a morning nap on those days and then do a second, longer nap around 3-3.5hrs later to catch up. This is a great option for LOs who refuse a second nap when the morning one has been long. Or, you could let him sleep in the morning and take him out in the car around 3ish to get another 30-45min out of him and make it to a better BT.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 21:05:55 pm »
Yes, that was to be my advice:) I don't think that 13mo is too late to have 2 naps still especially if it happens occasionally or at weekends. And I think doing short morning nap shouldn't impact his sleep too much. My DS was/is always doing a catchup on Saturday after 5 days in the nursery.
~Marta

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 04:42:56 am »
Will try the short nap today.  Will see how he is going to react. 
Thank you for the tips girls,   
By the way , today he woke up at 5:30 wich is much better than 4:50 :) I put him early to bed yesterday so fingers crossed

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 06:11:00 am »
So he catched up a bit:)! Great, FX!
~Marta

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 06:32:12 am »
Yay, that sounds a bit better. Let's hope he catches up a bit and gets back on track for you.

Offline Alisa masik

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 13:01:24 pm »
hi girls'
well after 5 days going early to bed the results r :  he wakes up around 4:50 . on the weekend put him to bed twice for a nap , slept for 20 min and 40 min.
in the kindergarden  asked them to put him to sleep twice ' but he refuses the  morning nap (9:00)  so he sleeps as usual - one time for one hour.

ideas?
thank u