Author Topic: Is it a phase?  (Read 3209 times)

Offline sce

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 24, 2014, 02:22:39 am »
Our DD will be 2.5 in January.  She was sleeping through the night and napping without issues for the most part.  Rarely would wake and usually only for a reason (sick or something).  She used to go down for naps very easily and willingly and the same at night.  Now it's all a struggle.

Lately, she's fighting nap time and has gone from a solid 2 hour nap to 1 hour.  It's a struggle to even get her down though.

At night, once we've gotten her down (again a struggle), she'll usually wake up around 3-4am and she'll go back down, but wake up an hour later and continue that pattern until around 6:30-7 or so and then she won't go back down.  She used to wake up between 8-8:30.  This all started about 3 weeks ago and we can't seem to do anything to fix it or change it.

Any suggestions?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Is it a phase?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 16:30:35 pm »
What time is naptime and bedtime? At 2.5 she may be going throuh a growth spurt or development leap (they seem to happen on birthdays and half birthdays mainly by this age) and perhaps also the start of the 1-0 switch. It seems like she is capping her own nap though.
Heidi

Offline HenaV

• Showing Appreciation 39
  • My shining light
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 17:29:20 pm »
Hi! We had a similar thing at this age. For us not turned out to be developmental. I stuck with R's routine using EBT on NNDS or when the nap was short. It passed as I am sure it will for you. Some Los start cutting down or out their nap at this age. I think it very much depends on your Los SNs.

Hth

Hena x

Offline sce

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 02:25:32 am »
Her nap time used to be 1:30-3:30, but now we put her down closer to 2.  Her bed time is 8:45-9.

I realized after making the post that I should add a few things.
-she just moved to a big girl bed about a couple of months ago, but it didn't affect anything then.
-since she was waking early and coming up into our room, we put a gate in front of her room which I think she hates.
-I'm 37 weeks pregnant so I'm not sure if that's affecting her behavior at all
-we use a white noise giraffe toy thing.  When she wakes in the morning, she'll go back down, but she'll wake up as soon as the giraffe shuts off which is 45-50 minutes later.

Not sure if any of that makes a difference!

Offline sce

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 03:18:15 am »
Hena, can you help me with those abbreviations?  I couldn't find them on the site.

Thanks!

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 13:28:54 pm »
Hi there.

EBT is early bed time
NNDs are no nap days :)

With that routine I'd say you are on the path to losing that nap. My E started with the map getting later and later and then we stared getting early wakings (EWs) and Bedtime (BT) refusals. We kept with the nap and shorter naps for a while, but she started getting OT (overtired) and grumpy so we started keeping her up instead of putting her down for a nap and she coped until BT at 6.30 or so and slept 12 hour nights plus and was much more restor d.

Have you read this:
The 1-0 transition...Advice and Tips to help you through.

Hope that helps xx
~ Naomi ~

Offline sce

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 13:18:26 pm »
So I had to post an update.

Yesterday, we put her down for her nap at 3 thinking we would try a little cat nap.  She fought us, but went down and had a 40 minute cat nap. 

We also tried to put her to bed early, which didn't work cause a friend of hers stopped by to play.

Anyway, she slept all night!!  So she went down around 9pm and slept until 8am. 

Now we don't if we should try for the cat nap again, or just get rid of the nap all together??  What does everyone think?

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 15:12:12 pm »
Tbh when DD1 was at that stage we stopped the nap but only to keep her bedtime the same as DD2's. We did quiet time in her room instead.
Heidi

Offline sce

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 04:14:20 am »
Another update.  Yesterday, she completely refused her nap entirely.  We put her down a bit earlier, around 8:15.  She was up again at 2, 4, 5 and 6! 

Today, she begged us for a nap around 12:30 which is nowhere near her usual nap time.  And she went down right away without any fuss.  We woke her up after 45 minutes. 

We'll see how tonight goes with the waking up.

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 04:12:37 am »
How did it end up going?
Heidi

Offline sce

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 02:20:05 am »
Sorry for the delay!   

To make a long story short, nothing was working.  She was still resisting naps and really resisting sleeping at night and continued to wake at 12, 3, 6 and so on.  Just exhausting.

As of last night, I decided to try some WI/WO.  It made everything worse.  She just hated it.  She woke up a couple more times than she normally would have and had way more trouble getting back to bed.

We've been putting her down for her nap much later.  Around 2:30-2:45 and we do something super active right before and that seems to have helped.  She naps for 1hr-1:45 minutes and we're good to go!  So that's way better.

Today, however, we figured something out.  She apparently hates when we close her door now.  So I told her that I would be just outside the door, but that I would leave it open.  I leave it open about 45 degrees so she can't see that I'm not actually there and she went to bed on her own without any fuss for her nap.  I just tried it for the first time tonight and she went down right away without a fuss.  So we'll see.

I can't believe that something as simple as the door being left open might be the trick.  We'll see.  I'll update you!

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 03:33:20 am »
Oh, good job figuring that out! Maybe a bit of separation anxiety going on. Glad it is working!
Heidi

Offline sce

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 20:21:41 pm »
Okay.  So she went down without a fuss, but she woke up just as much throughout the night.  She went back down very easily each time, but it's still exhausting.  What should we do?

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 05:36:55 am »
Have you still been doing a later nap?  How have the past couple of nights been?
Heidi

Offline sce

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 02:58:33 am »
Yes, we've been doing her nap at 2:30 or 2:45.  Nothing has changed at night.  She wakes up 3-4 times and jumps out of bed and comes up to our room.  Ugh.

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2015, 03:22:22 am »
Honestly that is a super late nap for that age. How long is the nap? I could see a short catnap at 2:00 maybe but for any of mine a nap that late and we would have lots of shenaningans!
Heidi

Offline sce

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2015, 15:41:51 pm »
Oh okay.  She used to nap 1:30-3:30.  So maybe we shoot for closer to 1:30 or 2.  We'll try it!  And then does bed time stay at 8:30 still?

Offline sce

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 22:07:35 pm »
So we've been putting her down at 1:30 for her nap for the past couple of days.  She naps for 1-1.5 hours.

Her bed time is 8:30.

She's still waking up 2-3 times per night though so nothing has changed.

Any suggestions?

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 17:55:32 pm »
That ends up being 5.5 hours A after a 1.5 hr nap...might be okay but may need capping as well. I would stick with it for a good week or so before tweaking anymore to see if things settle out!
Heidi