Author Topic: Help with soothing a 15 month old  (Read 1565 times)

Offline blueberry7

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 08, 2015, 07:18:56 am »
Hello,

My LO is 15 months old and has troubles falling asleep on his own.

By way of background, we never formally sleep trained him.  He was able to sleep through the night since he was 3 months old with a pacifier.  We pulled out the pacifier when he was 11 months old and after several nights of crying in our arms, he was able to fall asleep without it.  Generally, before I pulled out the pacifier, he was able to put himself to sleep fairly quickly (within 15 minutes).

He generally sleeps 11 to 12 hours at night and takes 2 naps during the day (at 10am and 2pm) with each nap lasting on average 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.

We have never been proponents of letting him cry it out.  We have always used shush-pat and/or pick up/put down. 

Lately, he has been sleeping later in the evening around 9pm after an hour or more of us trying to wind him down and soothe him to sleep.  He seems very tired at 7:30pm and we start our bedtime routine then, but every time we put him in the crib, he screams.  We have to either walk and rock him to sleep or give him an object (like a cell phone or cordless phone) to fixate on for 20 minutes before he falls asleep.  There is always a lot of crying involved and because we try to avoid letting him cry too much, we are always attending to him and staying by his side until he falls asleep.  He also wakes up at the same time (7:30am ish) so he seems very tired. 

What am I doing wrong and how do I get him to sleep on his own?  Is this a sleep regression or is this because perhaps he has been constantly sick with a cold (due to daycare) so he needs more comfort from us?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:36:46 am by Sammysmammy »

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 09:35:43 am »
Hi Hun,

As he is an IS it sounds to me like it may be that he is UT. It's possible that he is starting the 2-1 nap transition. Here is a link for you:

From 2 to 1 nap transition (10-12m and older)

Can you post his routine like this:

Wake Up (WU)

Nap 1

Nap 2

Bed time (BT)

Then we can come up with a plan of action, but it does sound typical of the 2-1 transition to me. 15 months is the age where this typically can happen, it's generally between 12 to 18 months old.

(HUGS)

x.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 09:38:29 am by Sammysmammy »

Offline blueberry7

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 19:25:24 pm »
Thanks so much!

Wake Up (WU) - 7:30am

Nap 1 - 10am to 11:15am

Nap 2 - 2/2:30pm to 3/3:30pm

Bed time (BT) - 9pm

For his bedtime, if my caregivers tell me that he hasn't napped well during the day (so only slept 1.5 hours or that he woke up at 2 or 2:30pm for a nap), I usually try to put him to sleep earlier like at 7, and then an hour later, 8, he'll fall asleep.

Offline blueberry7

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 19:33:45 pm »
I should also add that my guess is that he is OT at bedtime.  He's constantly falling asleep in the car when I drive him home after work from the caregivers.  Last night, he fell asleep in the car for about 20 minutes and at 6pm he woke up and wouldn't stop crying because he was so tired and wanted to go back to sleep.  After that, it was hell trying to get him to eat dinner and wind down and fall asleep.  He didn't end up going down until after 9pm and with a lot of crying while we held him and walked him to sleep.

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 21:07:43 pm »
Hi Hun,

If you want to do this gradually, start by increasing the morning A time by 15 minutes or so and let him sleep as long as he wants. Then in the afternoon just give a cat nap of 30 mins, and go with an earlier BT, so eventually the nap is at around 5 hrs A time and you cut the pm nap altogether.

Or if you have no patience for softly softly (like many of us ;)) you can just go cold turkey one nap, and bring BT forward.

What's your thoughts  ??? He very well could be OT by BT because of the length of his day  :( However OT and UT can work alongside each other, so a LO can have accumulated OT and short term UT from that day, confusing but true, and it causes havoc  ::)

x.