Author Topic: CRYING IT OUT FOR 1 WEEK NEED NEW STRATEGY  (Read 1114 times)

Offline sugarbooger

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
CRYING IT OUT FOR 1 WEEK NEED NEW STRATEGY
« on: July 19, 2007, 17:07:22 pm »
How old is your child?

8 MONTHS NEXT WEEK

What’s his/her daily routine?
630 BF ONE SIDE
730 BREAKFAST FRUIT AND CEREAL
800BF
830-900 NAP
1000-1100 WAKE FROM NAP
1100 SOMETIMES BF
1200 LUNCH FRUIT VEGGIE AND MEAT
1300 BF
1330 NAP
1500 AWAKE
1530 BF
1700 SUPPER FRUIT VEGGIE AND MEAT
1800 BATH BEDTIME ROUTINE BF
1900 BED
2200 AWAKE PU/PD
0100 AWAKE CIO
0300 AWAKE CIO
0400-0500 AWAKE BF

What’s nap routine?
2 NAPS 

How long are naps?
1-2 1/2 HOURS

What's bedtime routine? Time?
6PM BATH/BOOK/BF/CUDDLE
7PM BEDTIME GOES TO SLEEP USUALLY FAIRLY EASY

Do you bottle or breastfed??
BF WANT TO WEAN ASAP

How much? or how long?
4-6

If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed)
USUALLY BOTH SIDES

How many wakes per night?
UP EVERY TWO HOURS I HAVE ONLY BEEN FEEDING ONCE, PU/PD ONCE AND CIO THE REST OF THE TIMES

What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up?
30 MINUTES CRYING UNCONTROLLABLY

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?
CRYING

What have you tried to settle??
PU/PD, BF, CIO

Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?

NOT AT THE MOMENT HAS TWO TEETH NOT QUITE CRAWLING YET VERY MOBILE IN CRIB THOUGH ALL OVER THE PLACE

Do they have a prop? If so what is it?
USE A SOOTHER BUT DOES NOT HELP WHEN CRYING UNCONTROLLABLY JUST SPITS IT RIGHT BACK OUT

Do they have a lovie?
NO

I AM AT THE END OF THE ROPE I COULDN'T HANDLE THE SLEEP  DEPRIVAION ANY MORE AND SO WENT TO THE EXTREME CIO WHICH OTHER FRIENDS HAVE TRIED WORKED FOR THEM NOT FOR ME MY DD IS STILL WAKING EVERY 2-3 HOURS AND CRYS FOR 1/2 AN HOUR AT A TIME SHE IS NOT HUNGRY SHE FEEDS A LITTLE AND THEN IS READY TO GO BACK TO SLEEP WHICH IS WHY I WENT TO THE CIO METHOD BUT IT IS NOT WORKING. PLEASE HELP I NEED TO GO BACK TO WORK IN LESS THE 2 MONTHS AND I AM A NURSE SO I WORK SHIFT WORK AND DH WILL NOT DO WELL IF HE HAS TO GET UP WITH HER IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT MULTIPLE TIMES HE NEEDS HIS SLEEP.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: CRYING IT OUT FOR 1 WEEK NEED NEW STRATEGY
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 17:21:47 pm »
Hi there and welcome to BW!

Are you familiar with Tracy's books and the BW philosophy and methods? You may not be aware that BW does not support CIO in any way. Tracy believed there was a gentler way, it's just a matter of finding what works for your baby. To be blunt, CIO is likely to cause you more problems with separation anxiety and trust, and it can be dangerous. See this link for details -
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63839.0

Please, I am begging you to stop the CIO.

This is a link to information on the gentle removal plan, which for your baby's age could work very well. And this other link is to a sleep interview with Tracy which is also very helpful.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=451.0

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=52857.0
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 11:40:18 am »
How are you doing???

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline sugarbooger

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 16:06:00 pm »
I read the information that was posted for me and I have tried most if not all the suggestions from Tracy's book.  None of it seems to work for my DD I can not figure out why she wakes every 2-4 hours in the night.  She is not hungry and she settles easy I pick her up and hold her for a minute and she is calm enough to go back to sleep on her own this appears to be the only way to get her calm enough for her to go back to sleep.  It almost seems like she wakes from a bad dream or something because she isn't even completely awake. But she is crying.  I am just going to continue getting up with her, I know that one day down the road she will sleep through the night. CIO was never the way I wanted to go.  I was told by a pediatrician to do it, it had worked for close friends and I was so sleep deprived that I wasn't being the mother I needed or wanted to be..........

Offline Layla

• Showing Appreciation 362
  • Tiramisu - my favourite cake
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 21:21:38 pm »
Don't think about. The important thing is that you want to change it. Please don't let her CIO anymore.

Ok, I think your routine might need some tweaking. I would suggest something like this:

6.30 - wakes
9/9.30 - morning nap
10.30/11 - morning nap ends
1.30/2pm - afternoon nap
3/3.30 - afternoon nap ends
6.30/7pm - bedtime'

At the moment she's awake for 4 hrs before bedtime & thats wuiet a long stretch so she might be slightly overtired by bedtime. If you stretch the naps out (add more A time), she won't have such a long stretch. Try adding 10mins to her A time every 3-4 days so that she doésn't get overtired.

At night when she wakes, I would do the pu/pd method. Go in when it sounds like she needs you & pick her up. Calm her in your arms & back in the cot again. Keep doing that until she settles. If she's mantra crying, leave her cause she could be learning how to self settle but go back in if she is starting to sound distressed. https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=31.0 This is the link to the pu/pd forum. Have a look at the FAQ's on top of the page, which will help you in more detail how to use this method.

You have to remember that its not an overnight fix. When sleep training, you have be absolutely consistent & give it at least 2 weeks before changing methods or seeing if things have improved or not.

Have you ruled out illness/infections/etc....

Let me know how you are going
Layla

20/06/2012 - my angel baby

Offline shanlbc

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 02:32:52 am »
Sugarbooger...I just want to send you hugs because I have been just where you are.  Just last weekend I told DH I think I need medication because I was so depressed...and I think most of it is lack of sleep.  DS was waking before the DF, and then every 2.5 to 3 hrs all night. 

I have this horrible habit of blaming myself for the fact that he is not sleeping through when it seems like EVERYBODY else's baby does.  I know they don't but it sure seems that way.  When I am better rested, I see the fault in this theory but when you get up at 6:00am on only 4 or 5 hrs sleep, all you can think is "What am I doing worng?" :'(

My pedi also told me to feed DS at 10:00pm, then shut the door and don't come back in.  She said if vomits, change his sheets and put him back to bed.  That made me want to vomit!  I didn't do it but I have started to let DS fuss if he is not in a full blown cry.  He will usually go back to sleep.

I am working too and it is not easy when they are not sleeping.  I have to go out of town for work sometimes and DH actually does fine, he can go back to sleep after getting up where I toss and turn. :P

I am not sure if I can help you...DS slept night before last for 5hrs straight and last night for 6hrs which was a record so I am not the expert.  The only thing I can think of that has changed for us is that I realized he might be getting cold.  We keep the air conditioning on fairly low because I got so hot (gotta love that baby weight) but DH and I sleep under a down comforter.  I started thinking that DS's room is much smaller and cooler than ours so he might be getting too cold.  So we increased the ac temp by one degree and he has slept better than he ever has...for two days only bear in mind.

The only other thing I did was I started using Johnson's nighttime massage gel which "guarantees" a better night's sleep.  I don't really think that's it but I am not about to change anything!   ;)

Anyway, I know how you are feeling and how out of control you feel.  I am not the type of person to think I can't control a situation so I have had a hard time with DS not sleeping like he was "supposed" to.  Plus I used to get 9hrs of sleep before he came along!!!

I know I am not much help I just wanted you to know that you are not alone.

Offline missnmymum

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 11:50:27 am »
You can also try the Wake to sleep method, if you are able to really know when shes going to wake... time it about 20 mins before and go in there, gently rub her back untill she moves a little then let her fall back to sleep all by herself.... this should be a step towards breaking the habit of her waking by herself...... I will try to write more in a while....

Offline momofclaire

• Showing Appreciation 130
  • No, I want to marry daddy!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 18:20:51 pm »
Have things gotten better? 
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/6/687/68748.png[/img]