Author Topic: Head Banging anybody??  (Read 1136 times)

FrasersMum

Head Banging anybody??
« on: November 16, 2005, 07:39:17 am »
DS has developed this new habit at bedtime and naptimes.  If we are holding him he bangs his head against our shoulder. If in his bed he'll head bang the matress.  I have read that this is a form of soothing however I have noticed that DS does it when he is starting to calm, and it causes him to build up again.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks
Jo

Offline Emmy's Mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Head Banging anybody??
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 03:31:01 am »
Hi Jo,

I have an 18 month old niece who does exactly the same sort of thing - only she bangs her head when she wakes up midway through the night or midway through a nap and was inconsolable. We had no idea what was going on, the baby clinic and our GP thought it was because she was overstimulated during the day (she is very spirited) and that she didn't have much of a wind down period ... her parents didn't follow the BW methods and had just removed her sleeping aid cold turkey (mother's breast) by letting her CIO and we thought maybe it was related to that also....Anyways, they now swing her to sleep in the hammock for naps and this seems to have alleviated the problem....Not much help to you I'm afraid but I thought I'd just pop in our experiences with it - if you find out anything more I would love to pass it on to my sister-in-law!

Annie
Em 13/6/2005
Aidan 11/1/2007

Offline Cecilia~Olivia's mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Head Banging anybody??
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 21:20:02 pm »
Olivia did this from about 6-8.5 mos. Nothing too severe (looking back now), but I was worried.  She seemed to do it when she was overtired, mostly at nap time.  I just started singing quietly to her & pat her bummy so she would concentrate on my voice & touch (hoping it would not become a crutch later on), seemed to work or she just out grew it.  Head banging seems to be common, depending on how long & when/why factors too.  Talk to your doc if you are really worried.
PS, I also rolled up receiving blankets & tucked them around the crib between the mattress because she rolled around so much when sleeping, banging her head on the crib rails etc. & waking up several times at night especially.  HTH