Author Topic: Is this confusing to ds  (Read 1082 times)

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Is this confusing to ds
« on: November 18, 2005, 14:48:15 pm »
Is it confusing to a baby to put them to sleep
different ways.  For example, is it okay one nap to
give paci and have him put himself to sleep, then one nap to pat him to sleep?  I ask this because if I don't have sitter help or DHI need to put
him down with the paci?  I just don't want this to
confuse him and HINDER rather than help his ability to
go to sleep on his own.

Also, same goes for sleep position.  Can I change that
as well?
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
Is this confusing to ds
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 14:57:40 pm »
Personally I do......
kinda because at this point most days he gets at least one nap in the car and a couple times a week he is in the sling for awhile at the store - may or may not nap. And I still keep him with me at church, so he usually sleeps in the sling there. And at home we have been bouncing back and forth between naps in the crib and with me on our bed, though I often get up when he falls asleep.
I love the idea of him knowing that when he gets in the crib he just goes to sleep, but our lives are such at this point I cannot be home everyday all day so he has to adapt. And I think it is good for them to realize they can sleep other places besides the crib - stroller, carseat, sling, etc and give you a little more flexiblilty without losing your naptimes altogether.

Anyway - that's my 2 cents worth!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Is this confusing to ds
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 20:36:54 pm »
I was wondering this too.  Thanks for making me feel better.  Just put her down, she talked to teddy for a minute, whined once and out.   Yippeee!!!   8) And it's only taken 4 months to get here.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline cymonguk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 20:51:20 pm »
me too, mainly because we are trying to stop phoebe feeding to sleep, but its going to be tough as at the moment she whines when pat/shh to sleep. And at 4-5am it might be too much right now, esp if its my wife turn

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Is this confusing to ds
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 03:08:52 am »
It's only a problem if he complains when you do it.  So if you put him on his left side (no paci) to sleep for nap #1, then for nap #2 you put him on his back w/ a paci, then nap #3 something else.... if he goes to sleep w/o any complaints all 3 times there's no problem.  On a positive note, this helps him learn to sleep a bunch of different ways.  I think it's a good thing.

Even using the paci... if it doesn't become a prop, then there's no problem.

Nursing or feeding to sleep... that does usually become a problem because most babies are not happy unless that's how they are put to sleep all the time.  If your baby only does it once in a while and doesn't complain the other times, then I would say it's okay.

It's all about them being able to get to sleep on their own w/o props.  Once they start expecting the paci or the feed, then it's a problem.
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna