Author Topic: do you think this is a good amount of food for 1 year old.  (Read 1314 times)

Offline legend_018

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
do you think this is a good amount of food for 1 year old.
« on: April 04, 2007, 23:41:41 pm »
my Lo turned 1 March 28th. She's been known to not eat or be very picky. Some of you have probley read some of my topics which started when she was about 7 months old.

Lately, she's been eating pretty good. Well I think "lol". Is she?

Here is sort of a typical day lately;

1. anywhere from 1-3 oz of beechnut "oatmeal cereal with pears and cinnemon"
2. About 1 scrambled egg. I also mix about 1/2 slice american cheese in with that
3. a fairly decent amount of noodles or macaroni and cheese
4. anywhere from 1-3 oz of yo baby yogurt
5. about 1/2 of a small bananna 'it's a pretty small one'
6. Maybe will eat some turkey cubes or turkey sticks from gerber.
7. Not everyday, but has eating 10-12 peas with her noodles

I think that's it. She is drinking I believe between 24 and 27oz of formula/milk a day. her bottles are 3oz formula and 3oz milk now. I'm weening her off the formula. Dr. told me recently 24 oz is about average.
When do I get to drop a bottle. I try, but she won't have anything to do with it. how much more can she eat? It takes her long enuf to eat the list above.

the bananna and yogurt I actually give her close to bed and before her last bottle. I hate the mess "lol", but thought I'd give it a try. She doesn't always eat the amounts I put up there, but on a good day that's pretty close.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 12:45:40 pm by legend_018 »
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
Re: do you think this is a good amount of food for 1 year old.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 12:48:28 pm »
I forgot to mention that instead of 3X a day, I usually feed her 5X.

Little breakfast if she isn't crying for bottle, bottle, more breakfast, bottle before nap, lunch, afternoon bottle, supper, 1/2 of the last bottle, night time snack, and than 2nd half of last bottle. Something like that. Although this morning she woke up at 5:50am and was crying for her bottle and yesterday I had to take her to the Dr. due to crankiness and low grade temp and turns out she has an ear infection. ahhhh.

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 16:11:03 pm »
It sounds about right, but you are at a point where you should be emphasizing table food more and bottles less.  I'd also start offering more fruits and vegetables.  Other good things to try include grilled cheese sandwiches, pizza, pancakes/french toast/waffles, cream cheese on graham crackers...

On the bottles, I'd drop the after-nap one first, then drop the before-nap bottle and replace it with a snack.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline legend_018

• I love bath time!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 17:00:01 pm »
thanks. I'll tryyy. I have bought the frozen little pancakes and waffles before and she ate a little, but than wouldn't eat them anymore so I eventually stopped. Actually today she is being rather pickier than usual "that's the norm actually". The list I wrote above has been what we call good eating days and she still requires the bottles. Fruits and Veggies are so so hard. I WILL try the cream cheese on graham crackers.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 17:32:50 pm »
I thikn 24 ounces is too much at her age - I wouldn't offer more than 20 TBH.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 20:55:41 pm »
When we were working to fatten up dd, cream cheese was a lifesaver.  She'd eat it on pretty much anything - french toast, crackers, banana bread.  Cream cheese on banana bread is still a fav.

If you're having trouble with fruits and vegetables, try offering different ones or the same ones in different ways (remembering though, that it takes 20 exposures on average to get a kid to eat something new).  Offer cooked vs. raw, or cut fruits in different ways.  Soft fruits can be served cut into spear shapes so they are easy to grasp.  I always prefer fresh over packaged, but little fruit cups (peaches, pears, etc in fruit juice) make it easy to keep a variety on hand.  I also make frozen vegetable blends (broccoli/cauliflower, peas/corn/carrots) alot because it allows me to offer multiple veggies while only dirtying one pot.  A little bit of butter also entices dd to eat cooked veggies she might otherwise turn her nose up at.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline Marisa's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 22:10:19 pm »
24 oz of milk seems like a lot to me. Our pediatrician didn't worry about how much milk intake DD was getting, as long as she was eating a good variety of other foods. I think DD was drinking at most 1 cup of milk per day ... plus other dairy (cheese, yogurt).

It's easy to get carbs in, and a bit more challenging with fruits & veggies. Well, mostly the veggies. Have you tried sneaking in more veggies? You mentioned scrambled egg with cheese. Try doing that plus adding some veggies. We make veggie egg scramble to get those veggies in. I always prepare/cook/chop up veggies to have on hand, usually carrots and zucchini, but it can be anything, and I just throw some into everything. I'll throw in this veggie mix into scrambled egg, noodles, etc.

we also start the day with a serving of veggies in her "dinner mix" eaten at breakfast time. It's a good way to get one decent meal out of the way at the start of the day, and then not have to stress as much about meals for the rest of the day.

-Marie

Marie