Author Topic: 15 weeks now waking during the night  (Read 1270 times)

Offline mmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 96
15 weeks now waking during the night
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:38:02 am »
C has STTN a handful of times. This past week, we thought he was moving in that direction for good.  However, now he is waking anywhere from 1-3 again.  I read about growth spurts, but doesn't he seem young for this?  He is not near the 4 month mark.  We have tried settling him without food, but this tends to mean more NWs.  Last night he woke at 1, 2, and finally fed him at 3.  But he was angry because we tried to give him just 4 ounces to hold him off until morning.  But he wanted more.  Yet the problem with giving more is that he won't eat in the morning.  I have also tried giving him more liquid during the day, which is working.  But I know that Tracy says to feed more frequently if it is a growth spurt and C won't feed any closer than 3.5 hours.  I don't DF, as it never seemed to work for us.  Do the NWs seem growth spurt related or am I on the wrong track?  I am so frustrated that the sleeping is getting worse, rather than better.
Kara

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 15 weeks now waking during the night
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 20:06:41 pm »
There is a big growth spurt at 4 months so depending on what you take 4 months to be could be 16 weeks or 17 weeks + a few days - so I would think 15 weeks isn't too early really.

If he is getting the right amount of daytime sleep, his A times are right for him and he has been sleeping through then it could well be hunger driven. I would probably just feed at the first wake up, so if it is around 1am he should be hungry at normal wake up. If it is a growth spurt it should only last a few days and 1 night feed at 4 months is quite normal.

Is he draining his bottles in the day? If he is put another oz in his bottles to see if he will take more at a feed rather than feeding sooner. You could also try a faster teat to see if that will help him take bigger feeds in the day.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline mmom

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 23:22:57 pm »
Thank you for the reply Laura!  I can't say he was sleeping through all the time.  But we were starting to get a trend.   Actually, today was the first time in a long time, that he wanted to eat every 3 hours.   So maybe it is a growth spurt.  He is draining bottles, but prior to today, I was wondering about teat size.  I added an extra ounce all day today and the only bottle he didn't finish was his top off bottle prior to bedtime. 

I think his A's are ok and he is taking decent naps.  I don't think anything jumps out about that aspect.  One night his cat nap was too long because I lost track of time.  But that hasn't happened since.  This has been 3 nights of wake ups.  Isn't that too long for a growth spurt?
Kara

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 10:31:14 am »
Growth spurts really vary. I never really noticed them with either of my two, they didn't really feed more frequently or want more it was just suddenly clothes didn't fit! They can last up to a week with BF babies so a few days is quite common - he may need a bit longer on the increased feeds to catch up IYSWIM!

How much is he taking at a feed now?

Laura

Offline mmom

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 12:05:17 pm »
Laura, I didn't notice GS with DS#1 either.  That is why this is confusing.  I know DS#2 is growing because he doesn't fit in any of his 3 months cloths, as they are too short on him. 

He takes between 6 and 7 ounces per feed during the day and normally he eats every 3.5 hours.  Yesterday was every 3.  However, last night wasn't great.  He woke at 2 and I gave him 5 ounces.  (This aspect I am confused about - I don't know how much to offer.  I read somewhere on here that I shouldn't give as much at night?  The night before I only gave 4 ounces because of that.)  Then he stirred at 5 and I got him back to sleep and he woke again at 5:30 and wouldn't resettle.  But the little stinker wouldn't drink a bottle, so it wasn't hunger.  Even at 7 when he woke, DH said he wouldn't take a bottle.  That is why I hate those middle of the night feeds, because he won't drink in the morning.  All together, he had 5 ounces this morning.
Kara

Offline Mollie1

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 20:03:37 pm »
Kara - we are in the same boat here. harry is only taking 3oz at each feed. Last night he fed at 430am and I fed him again at 730am but he only took 2oz. Am going to try 3.5 hrs tomorrow. He has only taken about 14oz today with the DF to come later (he usually takes about 5oz here). This has been going on for about a week :(