Author Topic: from bottle to sipy cup...HELP!  (Read 751 times)

Offline rayanne7826

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 14, 2010, 22:58:46 pm »
My DS is 11 mo. old he was introduced tot he sippy cup pretty late (around 9/10mo.) totally my failure.  :-\. So now I am trying to wean him and its not going well.
I thought morning would be the best time to try again b/c he is usually very hungry however, he cried and whined for a good hour and the being the impatient mom that I can sometimes be, I gave in to the bottle.
Each meal there after I offered the cup but to no evail.

In all fairness he drinks very little juice/water from the sippy cups so I'm guessing he's not a big fan.
His bottles are the doctor Brown's so I'm going to purchase one his training cups to see if that helps and hopefully it will (not holding my breath).
If anybody knows of any tricks or has any suggerstions I'd be eternally greatful for your input.
R

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 87
Re: from bottle to sipy cup...HELP!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 00:38:15 am »
Oh I don't think you've failed at all.  Sounds very normal to me.

Here is what I did.  I only ever put formula and/or milk in the bottle and only water in the sippy (I didn't introduce juice until they caught on to the sippy, just got lucky they liked water).

Leave the sippy of water out and available all day long, not just at meal times.  Yes, he might play with it at first, might make some mess, but it is all in learning.

The sippy did not replace the bottle until after 1 year old.  So you're good.  I know some Pediatricians will say get rid of it at 1, but you have time.  With both of my children they weaned themselves by 19 months and I never had a fight.  By 19 months we were down to the bed time bottle and that was all.  So it happens and its a transition and it will be OK.

Try leaving the water sippy out all day.  And try limiting the bottle to only milk.  All the advice I have so far, looking forward to hearing others, good luck !!!

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

Offline ~*Nicole*~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 178
  • Formerly: *Nicole-Ava's mom*
Re: from bottle to sipy cup...HELP!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 00:44:27 am »
I switched DD around 10.5 months (I started earlier than 12 months, when her ped. recommended, b/c I thought it would take forever--but it only took a couple of weeks). I just offered her formula in a cup in the morning and if she refused, she refused and I gave her bottles the rest of the day. Eventually, she drank the formula and I dropped the other bottles. She was eating well and so I wasn't concerned about her formula intake if she refused the morning cup. She just moved on to having breakfast instead. When I first started, I gave in and gave the bottles and we got nowhere.