Author Topic: How long does it take?  (Read 997 times)

Offline bwsjohnson

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How long does it take?
« on: January 23, 2006, 19:38:03 pm »
HI there, I have been working on extending my 16.5 week old son's short naps for about two weeks now. He usually can be coaxed back to sleep when he wakes after 30-45 minutes, but how long do I have to continue coaxing him? When will he do it for himself consistently? He has done it a couple of times, but he is very erratic when he does! Just wondering if anyone had any idea how long I needed to intervene for?
Thanks!
Heather

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Re: How long does it take?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 04:34:23 am »
Self soothing is a learned skill, that literally takes weeks. It's not something that will happen overnight, or within a few days. Your little one is just 4 months old, so dc's just starting the process.

I found that as dc matured, from 3 months to 4.5 months, dc ability to settle into sleep gradually improved. It took lots of patience and keeping calm on my part. Lots of patting-shushing, and staying near to support through the jolts.

Right now, you're just 2 weeks into it-- a week from now, it'll be better-- not completely better but you should notice somewhat of a difference. During the time, be as conscious of dc sleepy cues and making sure dc doesn't overtire/over stimulate prior to dc nap. You don't want to push dc awake time right now, just focus on helping dc to settle to sleep without the prop.

I hope the helps, I know it's not easy right now, but it will improve as dc matures each week.

Offline bwsjohnson

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: How long does it take?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 15:22:32 pm »
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it! Okay, then I will try and be a bit more patient AND flexible when it comes to my little man's naps. He'll get there when he's ready, right? Just worry a bit about how the naps mess up the routine, but hey, what the heck!