Author Topic: 9 month old not wanting afternoon sleep?  (Read 1172 times)

Offline aussie_mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
9 month old not wanting afternoon sleep?
« on: March 09, 2006, 06:12:18 am »
hi,
I just wrote all about my lo and her not wanting her afternoon naps and just as i went to post it, my time had run out and i had to sign in again and i lost every thing i had written  >:(
So i will try again.
My 9 month old, who has not been sleeping at night has ( Touch Wood) started to get so much better only waking once or twice instead of every 2-3 hours!! Any way the past 3 day and counting she has not wanted her afternoon naps? she has been fighting them to the death. Yesterday she didn't fall asleep till 5pm 30Min's off having her dinner?? today she didn't go down till 4pm. she will cry and cry in her cot. i use to be able to put her down awake in her cot and she would go to sleep on her own, i would put her down at about 1-2pm. Should i just keep her up till 3.30-4pm or is he out growing her afternoon naps??
help needed  ???

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Re: 9 month old not wanting afternoon sleep?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 19:28:17 pm »
What is morning nap like and at what time?  Is it too long? Is she waking early in the mornings?  Basically, what is her schedule like?  From what little I know, 9 months is too young to be only having one nap.  And, when they do go to one, you want to ensure they keep the afternoon one.  If you can, send us her routine and maybe we figure this out.  It 's so frustrating isn't it...you just fixed the night problems and now you have daytime issues.  They're lucky they are so cute!

Zelka

Offline aussie_mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 00:37:52 am »
Her morning sleep is for about 45Min's to 1 hour, not very often she will go a bit longer. She normally wakes up to start her day between 7am and 8am. she is obviously tired in the afternoon but like i said will fight it to the death and not give in. then she is over tired in the evenings?? what to do??

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 02:20:09 am »
Hi!

I don't know what to suggest besides a consistent nap routine but I have a hunch that's not the problem because this is a new problem for you.  Could you be trying to put her down too late and then she's overtired?  Have you maybe taken a soother away recently?   Does she have a hard time falling asleep at night?  To be honest, what you're describing sounds so much like a baby getting ready for one nap a day but I don't think that's it seeing as she's only 9 months.  If this was the case I'd say read what I wrote to a member this evening under toddlers sleep entitled "13 month wakes early and won't take afternoon nap" or something along those lines.  I wish I could help more.
If you can think of anything that may have changed recently, let us know. 

Hang in there.

Offline aussie_mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 11:32:29 am »
Finally!!!!! she went down for a nap today no questions asked!!! it was great. i think her problem was she was over tired so i put her down earlier today and it worked!! the whole day run like a text book!! touch wood maybe we are on a roll... ;D

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 17:51:27 pm »
How wonderful to hear!! :D

Yes, sounds like she probably was overtired.  When Nikolas was that age, I remember that his morning awake time was only about 2 1/2 hours max before his first nap and about 3 - 3 1/2 before his second.  I hope things keep looking up!

Cheers
Zelka