Author Topic: Question about extending naps  (Read 990 times)

Offline Jenna's Mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Question about extending naps
« on: March 11, 2006, 18:20:49 pm »
Hi, I read through the post about teaching sleep to 3-5 month olds and extending naps past the 45 min mark.  I think I have a texbook baby because she seems to reach milestones on time and do "textbook" things... like now, she is 3 months old tomorrow and just started with the short naps.  So I read the post and have been doing the thing where I put gentle pressure on her legs and arms at the 35-ish minute mark when she stirs.  This is working so far even though I only started it this morning, so we're on extended nap #2 at the moment.  However, my question is this... she first sleeps soundly for about 35-40 mins, then stirs, at which point I intervene and we do this for a while, possibly half an hour, and then she'll enter into another nice quiet sleep which is deep sleep #2 of the nap.  So do I wake her to keep her on her routine?  I ask because this nap right now started a few mins late, and now she's back into a deep sleep but we're about 15 mins past her feed time at the moment.  I'm going to let her go another 15 and then wake her, at which point we'll be half an hour past her regular feed time, but that will have given her a 1.5 hour nap.  The middle portion, where I'm holding her legs and arms, sometimes takes a little longer so it then pushes out the second half of the deep sleep nap... so I'm confused as to whether I should let her sleep or wake her.  Please help, thanks.  I hope this makes sense   :)

Offline Jenna's Mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Question about extending naps
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 23:12:18 pm »
Thanks.  I did wait until 1:30pm as opposed to her usual 1pm feed.  That was okay but then we went out to the shops and she for some reason hates to nap in her carseat, which transfers to the stroller.  So she completely missed her 2:30pm nap.  We got home, fed at 4pm but she only took half her usual amount.  I tried to get her down for a nap but she was crying the whole time and finally I figured out she was still hungry so gave her another couple of ounces.  She just took a catnap, but I'm not sure whether she'll be ready to eat again by 7pm, I guess we'll find out  ;)  I guess I might be in for a bad night, hopefully not  ::)

When I extended her naps, I did stay to see her through the jolts but she seems to kick her legs for longer than 5 minutes which also wakes her up so I stayed through those as well... tomorrow I'll try leaving after the initial jolting.

Thanks!