Author Topic: Refusing to eat until he's starving...  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« on: September 12, 2011, 13:06:32 pm »
So it would seem that food is interfering with my kid's life.  What I mean is that he's a typical 2.5yo who is too busy to really want to eat.  On the weekend he refused snacks but then would quickly become starving and want his meal like NOW.

Anyone else have this kid?  He's very polite 'no thank you mommy' when I offer, which I find completely endearing but it's a stretch to get foods into him until he's losing his mind with hunger.  Then we have to say 'no I'm sorry it's not time for dinner' and ride out him crying at the stove or trying to open the fridge.  I figure he would put 2 and 2 together by now that if he takes his snack it will sustain him but he hasn't.  It also means huge swings in blood sugar :(
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 13:08:05 pm by *Wendy* »
The tweaking never stops!

Offline SammyNik

• Showing Appreciation 10
Re: Refusing to eat until he's starving...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 21:07:18 pm »
Ah yes the good old 'I'm not hungry' turning into 'I'm starving' is happening here too, too much fun to be had it would seem ::) Most of the time I put them something into a bowl and pop it next to them while they are playing and it generally disappear pretty quickly ;) If I know we are going to be having a late dinner or something I will tell them it IS snacktime and pop them on the sofa with the tv on for a while, a blast of peppa pig and they soon forget they were upset to be dragged away from their fun!!
Niki - Mummy to 3 beautiful little monkeys.

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Showing Appreciation 326
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 21:14:28 pm »
I offer an appetizer rather than making the low-blood-sugar child wait for the meal.  Apples w/ peanut butter while I'm making lunch, frozen blueberries if it's before breakfast, etc. 

I try hard to honor their hunger/fullness cues so I don't want to force them to eat if not interested.  I'm also not going to hand out a cookie right before dinner, but if they want to have apple slices, a peach, etc while I cook I'm totally fine with that.

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 444
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 21:20:08 pm »
It's all healthy offerings, usually fruit or crudite.  Very occasionally cheese or something.  And if he's hungry he will normally eat.  But lately it's like ' no no no' and even if I put it out he will take it and put it on the counter 'no want this'.  And then he 'forgets' to eat and hunger strikes lol  Ahhh the mood swings of a Spirited kid.  It's like a roller coaster.
The tweaking never stops!