Author Topic: napping training, please help!  (Read 979 times)

Offline newmommyl

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 21, 2006, 17:05:24 pm »
I am a new mom w/ a 7 wk dd.  the first month or so were tough, very fussy baby (turns out she had a milk allergy) now that that's straightened out and her temperament is better i am trying to implement naps in her bed, not in my arms like she has been doing since she was born.  it's only been a few days and i know it will take time but any advice to keep me on the right track would be appreciated.   My main objective is to get dd to sleep out of my arms and my #2 obj is to get her to more than catnap for 30 min here and there.  Let me preface this by saying i am not a faithful swaddler and she does not love the paci.  i know these are key parts of the 4s's but...and i know what tracy would say, but she wriggles her arms out of her swaddle, she has since the day she was born.  we always swaddle from teh waist down adn she sleeps well at night like this.  The paci is good once in awhile but 75% of the time she spits it out or will not take it all.  I'm not to disappointed w/ this as i don't want to have to go thru, her waking up when paci falls out which is not a problem if she doesn't lay down w/ it in the first place but is when she does.  (if that makes sense). 

Nap time has been going like this for the most part.  working on reading her cues...a yawn, her tired whiney cry.  Then i'm trying to use the window of opp to get her in her basinet as quickly as possible so she does not fall asleep in my arms.  Sometimes a wind down isn't always possible like this last nap.  She was dozing fast so i just laid her down shushed/patted.  She fell asleep but was up about 20 min later.  How long do i let her wake for before i go up and shush/pat again?  i'm afraid if she stays awake too long she will overstimulate herself and not fall asleep.  This time i went up shushed/patted she is clearly tired and kind of dozes, then up again.  This is the second attempt at napping today.  I feel like i'm trying to get her to nap more than she is actually sleeping and i'm inadvertantly doing the opposite of what i want to accomplish.  How far do i go w/ this.  How many times do i try lay her down--everytime? or set times??  how many times during a "nap" do i go in when she wakes up?  should i just let her fall asleep in my arms a few times a day so at least i can assure she is getting some sleep while we are in training.  or should i be more efficient (which i know i should) in getting from wake to sleep?  i don't want to create bad habits and i don't want to be selfish...i want her to get rest during the day but on her own.  Am i doing nap overkill??  Please help me. 

Offline newmommyl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 18:10:17 pm »
thank you so much for your reply...it helped a lot just to hear you say you felt like you were always trying to put baby down for a nap or extending.  That's exactly how i feel.  It's like spinning my wheels.  And the frustration continues.  This last nap attempt fizzled completely.  Out of about an hour and 15 min in basinet she probably slept for about 10 min.  she's pretty content usually while she's awake in her basinet so i let her go most of the time but like i said i want to help her while she's sleepy enough to go back to sleep.  This time when i finally got her up she got very fussy and chewed vigorously on her hands which is usually her cue that she's hungry.  So now i'm in another predicament.  she's been on a 3 hr eating sched pretty consistently for the last few weeks but this morning i've fed her more like every 2 and 1/2.  Now is this b/c she's getting overtired or b/c she's going thru a growth spurt and needs more food?  It's like the chicken and the egg...is she not napping well b/c she's hungry or am i misreading her overtiredness for hunger and feeding her unneccessarily.  She is taking her bottles right down though. I am going to put more of an effort into a wind down routine like you suggested, i just have to work on timing.  Typically she would show signs of tiredness an hour or so after a feed.  but this week i've been so hyperfocused on naps i've kind of lost sight of that!  I'm trying an hour now and i'm going to attempt another nap.  Is this nap overkill to keep trying every feed cycle?  I just know she's tired though, she's barely slept all morning!  I am going to swaddle and good this time.  i have to admit that this morning i swaddled her incl her arms and she napped for almost 45 min w/o stirring.   :P  ok i 've got a yawn so i think i'm going to try to act on it...wish me luck.  oh i also agree w/ not letting her sleep on me, i think it would make this process harder. 

Offline newmommyl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 23:48:51 pm »
well nap #3 was w/ swaddle.  she didn't sleep right away it took almost 40 min and i could see the frustration in her eyes trying to get her arms free but she never really got fussy, just kind of laid there awake.  finally she fell asleep even w/ one arm a little out.  she slept for about 40 min or so.  i'm totally doing the swaddle, in fact before bed tonight (her first night in her nursery and her crib-yikes!) i swaddled real tight!  and i already ordered a miracle blanket.  i feel like a bit of a fool going gangbusters about swaddling now after i've ignored it for so long but i guess better later than never right?  we'll see how it goes.  thanks so much for your help. 

Offline newmommyl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 01:03:55 am »
you are totally right about the fidgety ones needing it the most. i was just telling my husband about how your advice helped me.  i will keep repeating that to myself, b/c i am feeling a bit guilty restricting her little arms, but i'll get used to it right?!  what about as the weather gets warm.  will dd get too warm in the miracle blanket?  will i not need a regular blanket too?