Author Topic: OK What is the Deal  (Read 756 times)

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
OK What is the Deal
« on: April 23, 2006, 02:46:18 am »
My DD is 11 months old, and textbook/spirited.  Emphasis on spirited.  We've had sleeping issues forever.  45 min naps, we kind of out grew them.  She usually takes 2 naps a day, one in the morning between 10& 10:30am.  Usually 2 hours or so.  The afternoon nap is usually around 3:30 and lasts 45 min.  That would actually be a great day.  Lately, she's refusing to nap in the afternoon.  But here's the weirdest thing.  When I try to put her down for her morning nap, and afternoon nap she's doing a totally new thing.  Our nap routine is diaper change, upstairs with blankie and paci, close blinds and turn on noise maker.  Then we sit in the rocking chair till her eyes close and stay closed but she's not out.  We get up, into the crib, cover with a blanket and we're done.  This usually lasts about 10 min total.  In the past week though, everything is the same, but when I put her into the crib she flips onto her tummy as if to stay there , the bolts up and starts speed crawling in the crib.  If I let it continue, she will sit up, then stand up in the crib wide awake.  I know she's tired.  She was just practically asleep.  But then into the crib she is up and motoring.  How I've dealt with this is to pick her back up and sit back down in the chair again and repeat my routine.  So now, instead of this whole process taking 10 min, it sometimes takes 20-30 min.  Finally this morning I laid her down for the 2nd time, and she rolled onto her belly again.  I pretty much threw the blanket across her, left, and crossed my fingers that she would go to sleep.  Luckily she did.  But this afternoon and yesterday afternoon, nope.  I must have gotten her drowsy/sleepy in my arms 3 times, but every single time she refused to go to sleep in the crib.  What is that deal with this behavior?  I've tried standing there forever flipping her onto her back again and again and it just exhausts me and hypes her up.  She's recently began teething for the first time, though she doesn't seem to be in pain when she's doing any of this.  She's also learned to pull up and stand, though she doesn't know how to get down.  Could all of this have something to do with it?

Offline alyssa1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 19:26:11 pm »
I have to agree with the previous post, it sounds to me like she's turned it into a game.  I would try putting her down in her crib more awake and leaving the room instead of waiting.  You could try walk out / walk in - leaving the room but returning if she needs you.  I would avoid picking her up and rocking/sitting with her.
Also, it sounds like if she gets over 2 hours for her first nap, you might want to try pushing this 15 min. further into the day and only having the 1 nap instead of 2.  Maybe she doesn't need the 2? Maybe she just needs the 1 nap and earlier bedtime.  Just some ideas  :)