Author Topic: How much activity ?!?!?  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Spencer's Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How much activity ?!?!?
« on: April 25, 2007, 09:50:03 am »
Don't know how much activity is enough for our little man . . don't want to over do it.  He's on a 3hr EASY, but not sure during his awake time how much of that should be spent doing tummy time, on his play mat etc etc.

Also, anyone got any ideas on how to encourage him to grasp ?  He's so engrossed in trying to find his thumb this past week and a bit, he doesn't seem to be very interested in anything else !!!
Thanks heaps

PS He's just over 10wks old

em_here

Re: How much activity ?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 10:18:00 am »
My DD is 4 months old, and does not swat or grasp, she just sucks her hands.  I would just do activities your baby enjoys, for example my DD does not like tummy time, but loves her chair and the "Jumperoo" so I stick with this. I also have some one on one time just talking to her.  She does not like her play gym so I don't bother with that. I try to encourage her to grasp by having toys on her bouncy chair but she is not interested at all.  I think that as long as your lo has the toys within reaching grasp he will do it when he decides he is ready. Hope that helps you a little x

Offline Spencer's Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 11:35:41 am »
Thanks for that .. .but how long is your bub awake for and how much of that time is devoted to activity and play ?  Don't want to overstimulate our little man with too much play !!  :)

Thanks again

em_here

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 11:39:14 am »
Hi again, she has 1 hr and quarter to one and half hours activity time, but she is touchy so half an hour prior to bed we have cuddles and low key activities. At 10 weeks she could only manage 1hr and 1/4 activity time at the very most, sometimes only hr.  It is a bit trial and error, but the ease of which they go to sleep gives you a clue.  If it takes ages and your lo is fretful it is likely overtired/stimulated, so cut back slightly on activity time the next time and see if it helps

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 14:04:07 pm »
If he's interested in finding his thumb, he probably won't be interested in anything else, but if you hold something easily "graspable" up to his finger tips, he'll start to make some effort to grab it eventually.  I think our A time around 10 weeks was about an hour, but like pp said, there is a huge range and trial and error is the way to go.  My dd1 could handle much more A time then my dd2, just differences in personalities and temperament :)

Offline victoriab

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • Forward Together Forward
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 15:15:06 pm »
A time varies from baby to baby, but my dd was doing about and 1 hour to 1.5 hours at 10 weeks.  I did as much tummy time with her that she would tolerate.  It may only be a few minutes, but keep at it and each day may he may spend a little more time on his tummy.  I also don't think she really started grasping for things until closer to 3 months.  They first have to discover that they have hands and what they are there for before they start using them.  It sounds like your little guy is just realizing that he has hands.  Give it some more time, he will figure it all out.