Author Topic: How to go breast to bottle & drink right amounts ??? also cluster feeds ???  (Read 614 times)

Offline Nic and Jackson

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Ok
My DD is 8 or 9 weeks old (sleep deprived not sure now)!! 
She breast feeds about 9 - 10 times a day and has no real consistency and i lack confidence as a result and therefore would like to go to bottle so at least i know what she's getting etc.

BUT ............  I don't want to be giving her 10 bottles a day.

So, she is 4400grams in weight. 
1)    How many bottles a day should she be having, and
2)    how much should she be drinking in each bottle? 
       When breastfeeding some afternoons she has a feed every hour for about 4 hours,
3)    i can't imagine doing this with a bottle? 
       Also when i've given her a bottle she only drinks 60ml - 80ml. 
      (2 to just under 3 ounces) - I'm sure that this is not enough so
4)   if she needs more what do you do to get them to drink more?  Just make them wait it out till next feed
      is due??

Many thanks for your help.  (I have a toddler and the b/feeding thing is taking it's toll on him also).

P.s. - sorry for so many questions.

Offline Lªuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Just to let you know I have seen your questions I will reply later if no has been here before.  ;)
Lauren x

Offline Lªuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Hi there

1)   Try a 3 hr EASY to begin with, feed at;
7am/10am/1pm/4pm/6pm & 8pm - bed  - inc clusterfeeding
7am/10am/1pm/4pm/7pm – bed – no clusterfeeding

See EASY FAQ’s https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=82.0

You can also add in a dreamfeed at 10pm if you wish – more info on both cluster and dreamfeeding can be found here. https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54662.0

2)   If your baby isn't eating any solids (the recommended age for starting solids is six months), the general rule of thumb for formula amounts is 2.5 - 2.7 ounces (oz) per pound (lb) of body weight. So if your baby weighs 6lb, he should consume about 15 or 16oz of formula in a 24-hour period. If he weighs 10lb, he should have roughly 25 - 27oz in a 24-hour period.
Please note; this rule of thumb doesn't really work with metric measures.

Please bear in mind that these are rough guidelines, and your health visitor will be able to advise you on the right amount of formula for your baby as he grows. Also, these guidelines don't apply to premature babies or babies with a low birth weight -- again, ask your health visitor for advice if your baby falls into one of these two groups.

3)   You can make your Lo take more, the general rule of thumb is;   

If you make a bottle and your Lo drains the bottle – top it up
If your LO leave approx. 0.5 oz in the bottle then they have had their fill.

4)   Then feed at the next 3hr mark as above.

Bottlefeeding FAQ’s can be found here https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?board=93.0

I hope this answers your questions.
Lauren x