Author Topic: Switching to Enfamil AR  (Read 4651 times)

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Switching to Enfamil AR
« on: July 29, 2011, 05:14:05 am »
Yesterday DD was diagnosed with Reflux, she is 3 months old. The doctor said it wont help with completely with the spit up so he recommended we switch from enfamil gentlease to enfamil ar. they told me that i should gradually do it. so for her first feed we did 2 ounces gentlease and 2 ounces ar. tomorrow we were going to do the same thing, maybe for night time switch her completely to just the ar.
so far today we have had good luck with the chunks, she drinks it just fine with her size 2 teats.

any advice on if i am transitioning the right way? also, what should i do if she gets constipated? my dr said just to add more gentlease until she is better but when i called the enfamil hotline they said i shouldnt be mixing the formulas at all. im confused, do i listen to the dr or the enfamil hotline?

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Switching to Enfamil AR
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 07:39:27 am »
I have replied on your other post, but we switched straight over with no mixing and my two were fine with it. The Enfamil works by thickenng in the stomach when it hits the acid so I guess if you are mixing she's not getting so much of the Enfamil so it will be hard to know if it's working and she won't get the full benefit from it.

Laura

Offline SabrinaD

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 16:40:28 pm »
Thanks Laura. The dr recommended this way, he said it is better for digestion. To do it gradually, so tonight she will go full AR :)

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 17:37:00 pm »
The standard practice is to do a gradual change to prevent tummy upset and baby refusing a new flavour... but it one has a different texture, you could run into issues of it taking bubs by surprise and causing a bit of choking.

I would listen to the Enfamil people (and Laura!)