Author Topic: I dont know what I should be doing!!  (Read 1212 times)

Offline shelltkd

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 21, 2009, 21:14:22 pm »
Hi Ive been reading Tracy's books and tried to start implementing the EASY routeine.  I have a few questions as my 5 weeks old little girl is a touchy baby when it comes to sleeping, and I have huge problems settling her and geting her to sleep. 

Today she only managed one of her naps as the rest of the day she spent so long not settling it was time for another feed by the time she was going off.

I need some advice here?? Please help me.  She will feed quite well, and when she does finally get to sleep, she sleeps well.  Should I be waking her for her next feed if she isnt waking herself?  Otherwise doesnt it throw off the whole routeine?

Today went
7am E - breastfed
7.45 A - Nappy change and clothes change then rest of time trying to get her to sleep (she started showing sleepy cues about 8.10am)
9.30 S - Off to sleep

10.30 E
11.10 A
12.00 S

2pm E  I woke her for this feed as I wasnt sure what to do?
2.40 A  Took 1 hr to get her to sleep
3.40 S Woke after 45 mins

5.15 E
6pm A refused to go to sleep is still awake now after next feed at 8.30

Please help I know she is overtired but she wont settle.  She needs rocking and ssh/pat to sleep and as soon as i put her in her moses basket she wakes up, she is awake and happy for a few minutes put wont ssh/pat back to sleep then starts to scream.  I dont know what to do?

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Re: I dont know what I should be doing!!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 21:31:41 pm »
Hi there, sounds like you're having a rough day. I had a run of those a few days ago and i was advised that my LO was OT. If he is OT I was advised to get him out of the OT cycle any which way you can and start again, but still continue to wake for feeds. Even resort to accidental parenting for a day. i spent a whole day in the car.  ;)

If he is a touchy baby ( i think my baba has a touch of touchy in him also!) he may also be getting overstimulated easily ( i think...pretty new to all this!) For the 1st morning feed I keep it really low key, I don't even leave the bedroom with him and we have quiet A time on the bed until he gives me a sleepy cue then he goes straight down and sleeps well. I am in the process of sorting the rest of the day out but I have that nap sorted and i then know that he has had at least one good nap and a good start to the day. I was concerned about day/night confusion with this as i don't open the blinds and keep the lamp quite low but it hasn't happened. Before I was jumping up in the AM singing and putting the radio/tv on so he would know it was daytime and i think he was going into overload!

I hope this helps, i have kept the low key AM since our last visit from the OT monster and it seems to work, plus i get to hang out in the bed with my wee man.  ;D

Hope this helps, i'm afraid i'm pretty new to all this and can only give you my experiences rather than good advice!  xxx

Offline shelltkd

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:30:20 am »
Thanks, i think it OT as well, just trying to stick to EASY.  Will try and get her to sleep as much as poss today and start fresh with EASY tomorrow then, will prob work better!

Fingers crossed!

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 09:47:48 am »
Thinking of you...just do all you can to get your LO to catch up. It took Brodie a good 2-3 days to get over it but i did continue to feed every 3 hours as per EASY, it did take me all i had to wake him tho when he FINALLY  slept. Now I just take it easy.This AM  we had our quite A time upstairs and he has been nappping for over an hour  :o.

Offline charmie

• Showing Appreciation 122
  • my family, my everything
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 20:34:55 pm »
Brodiesmummy has given you very good advice.  Definitely keep waking her for her feeds.  Keep her quiet.  AT this age K Became OS even by looking at a baby monitor, and even singing.  And if she is a touchy sleeper she might be showing you sleepy cues too late.  So if she showed tired cues by 8.10 she should have been in bed by then.

Anyway, while she's OT keep her a time really really short.  Wake up, feed, nappy change, cuddle, 4s wind down and back to crib.

Here are some links which might help you;

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63243.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=85500.0
http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64277.0

xxx
charm

Offline shelltkd

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 12:17:05 pm »
Thanks, have been trying but nows shes cought a really nasty clod and keeps waking herself with sneezes and coughs!! What a nightmare, going to perservere and try and get her sleeping so i can start EASY properly!!!

Offline charmie

• Showing Appreciation 122
  • my family, my everything
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 16:06:41 pm »
Awww poor bub!!  Try to give her as much rest as possible.

Let us know how you get along...

xxx
charm

Offline Barley

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 00:49:57 am »
Thanks for this post. I am also having this problem amongst other issues.  We seem to be having problems getting EASY off the ground and running. I think part of the issue is a growth spurt here at 6 weeks and being OT.  I think the OT is our fault before starting this because we were so worry about him not sleeping him at night that we kept him up to long during the day.  Hopefully, we get onto a routine here soon.

Offline shelltkd

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 19:01:32 pm »
Ok, update time, improving slowly i think, she has slept a bit better today and gone off quicker which is incredible using ssh/pat, even manages to put her in her basket not quite asleep and get her off acouple of times.  Even more amaking she got herself to sleep in her car seat at the doctors today, not ideal i know but she was due a sleep and its the first tine shes done it herself!

Fingers crossed things keep improving as she gets better!!

Thanks for all the help!

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 19:12:02 pm »
So glad things are starting to improve for you. My LO has also just started to show great signs of independent sleep as soon as I put him down. In fact he sometimes gets sleepy at the swaddle! (when he's not wrestling it anyways!) Its always good when all that shushing starts to show results, shushing for hours every day for the last 4 weeks but thankfully its starting to reduce a little.

Now that I have seen OT at its worst I make sure never to get into that cycle again, i have been watching his cues like a hawk but now slowly starting to increase his A time. My Wee Boy has also got a horrendous cold at the mo which never makes things easier, and things like falling asleep in the carseat just can't be helped if you're getting out and about but it always helps to time your trips at naptime.

Hope your Wee Girl starts to feel better soon. x :)