Author Topic: How/When do you ditch the sippy cup?  (Read 961 times)

Offline kate585

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
  • My darling redheads!!!
How/When do you ditch the sippy cup?
« on: April 13, 2007, 13:07:05 pm »
Ryan can drink out of a sippy, straw cup, or a regular cup, but the sippy is easiest for us.  He's a very enthusiastic drinker  ;) so if you put too much in the regular cup, it goes all over.  At what point am I supposed to switch from a sippy? 

Also, he usually eats his meals and has his milk in a sippy later.  Should I do the milk with his meals instead?  He is CRAZY about milk and I was always concerned he'd just drink and not eat.  But he's a big eater, so I'm sure it wouldn't affect his meals too much after an adjustment period. 

Finally, he likes to wander with his milk, which can't happen with a cup. Would I get him used to the sippy of milk in his highchair first and then switch to a cup with meals? 

TIA; I am clueless here!   :D 

p.s.  We are moving in two weeks, so I think I should hold off until then to do a major switch in routine, but I could start giving the sippy with meals now, right?   :-\
Kate,

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: How/When do you ditch the sippy cup?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 13:51:36 pm »
i think it depends on what you are willing to commit to.  :)  if you want him to start having a drink wth his meal, you could do it with an open cup - and explain to him that this cup does not leave the table.  then, when he does have that cup of milk that he's working on while playing, that could be a sippy cup.

*personally*, i think by the age of 4 is when they should disappear totally... which means a certain little girl is about to be through with them!!  (though she really doesn't use one much anymore)  ;)
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

binxyboo

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 15:30:39 pm »
I think I would offer him a little cup of milk with his meals, maybe 4 oz or so, three times a day, so total of 12 oz, and then let him use his sippy throughout the day for all other milk and beverages you want to offer. So he has time to get used to the idea of having his milk with his meals. I don't really have a set opinion on this, as long as Riley drinks and eats enough throughout the day, I'm happy.

lilmonkey

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 17:00:38 pm »
If you let him wander around while drinking his milk, you could try using a Rubbermaid straw cup.  DD likes using this more so than the regular sippy cups and it's great for freezing.  I would fill it (milk, juice, water, etc.) halfway and lay it on its side to freeze without the straw.  Then fill it all the up later.  It keeps the liquid nice and cold for about 1 or 2 hrs. 

Here's the cup:  http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd210003

Mimi