Author Topic: Starting BW at 13 mo  (Read 773 times)

Offline anorthrup

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 29, 2014, 14:49:16 pm »
We have tried starting BW techniques several times in the past few months and actually were doing well around the 6-8 month range. But since then, we fell into very bad habits of rocking our baby to sleep with a bottle, because she always seems to be teething or sick or in some kind of tummy pain every time we've tried to start sleep training. Where do we begin? I used GW with my older child at around this age, but we had been using BW techniques for most of the time that he was a small baby (He was not nearly as spirited and touchy as our second child :)) Where to begin?!?!?

As a side note, she usually sleeps through the night and takes one good 2 hour nap every day. She just doesn't know how to put herself to sleep, because we've never really let her learn.

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Starting BW at 13 mo
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 15:04:25 pm »
Yes, if she's never fell asleep independently before then GW is the way to go.

It's explained in more detail here:

Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)

Since she is currently rocked and bottle fed to sleep, a first step could be to either put her down slightly sooner (when she's drowsy/ starting to nod off, but not totally asleep), or to wake her slightly before you put her down in the cot. You could also gradually reduce the amount of rocking you do.  Or, do you think you could move the bottle earlier in her BT routine, so the feeding is removed completely?

WDYT?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 15:17:09 pm by cathn »
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline aimeenorthrup

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 03:02:20 am »
Thank you so much for your response! I apologize for taking forever to get back to you. Unfortunately right after I posted, she started getting multiple molars and then got sick. Her third molar has almost come in and I'm hoping to start right after that. One other question for now. What is a typical awake time for a 13-14 month old? Her sleepy signals are hard to pick up on sometimes and it sometimes seems like she's not sleepy at all when we start bedtime. Right now typical schedule is:

Wake Up: around 8 am
Nap: around 12:30 pm(usually naps 2 hours)(sometimes the nap is as late as 2pm if she doesn't go to sleep the first time)
Bed Time: around 8:30 pm

Offline cath~

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 09:59:55 am »
Wake time for 13-14 months can vary quite a bit actually because some are still on 2 naps.  However, a routine with 4.5-5hr A time either side of the nap is pretty common.  I see your pm A time can be 6 hrs some days?  This may be a touch long for her so you might want to bring bt fwd a bit, or try moving the nap a bit later to balance the day out.  Once you get to this age though it can be a bit of trial and error to find what combination of am and pm A times work best for your LO.  With my dd1 she tended to prefer a shorter am a time and then a longer pm A time, but it's not like that for all LOs.  Sorry if that's a bit vague.
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline aimeenorthrup

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 13:25:20 pm »
That makes sense. I was thinking that her afternoon A time was too long. I'll try and work with the naptime. It is somewhat flexible most days. Her two left molars are about to break through and then I'm hoping to start. I did read something on another thread about super spirited babies doing better with WIWO. Do you think we should try that or stick with GW. She is very, very strong willed and can resettle herself at night but we've never really given her the opportunity (at least for the past 6 mo), to learn to fall asleep independently. Thank you for your help!

Offline cath~

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 11:10:56 am »
Hi,

Yes I have also read threads where WIWO has worked better for spiriteds.

My dd1 is v spirited at and around 18 mos we had to re-ST her due to some apop to get us through a tricky patch.  I used GW and it worked but if took pretty big steps (so not quite so gradual) and then moved on to WIWO quite quickly.

I think iiwy I'd go for whatever your gut is telling you will work best.  If she gets too upset then you could backtrack a little and take it more gradually.  Maybe a first (big) step (if you chose that route) could be to try settling her by sit with her / in her room and reassuring her just with your voice.  When that's working, you could move further away/out of the room and you can still use your voice to reassure her from a position out of sight
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old