Author Topic: 17 month old Difficulty getting down for both nap and bedtime  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Coops Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
17 month old Difficulty getting down for both nap and bedtime
« on: November 29, 2014, 05:51:48 am »
My DD is just about to turn 17 months and she was doing great with naps but something is up. She has been really difficult getting down for nap and bedtime. Naps have been hit and miss because of that. Today we went without and I put her down at 6:45pm and she was a bear. OT.

Here is our normal routine:

Wakes between 5:30am-6:30am, sippy of milk
Breakfast 7am
Snack 9am
Lunch between 11:15-11:45
Naps at 11:30 or 12 depending on what time she wakes. She sleeps for 1-2 hrs depending on the day.
Snack 3pm
Dinner 5:30pm
Bedtime between 6:30-7pm

What should I tweak?

Offline lolsyb1982

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
Re: 17 month old Difficulty getting down for both nap and bedtime
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 06:52:57 am »
Hi Coops Mom

Does sound like she's UT at nap time. I would probably try a 6.5hr A time instead so earliest nap would be is 12 if she woke at 5.30.
See if that makes a difference and if not you may not to push it out a little more.

I would say if she doesn't nap then bring her BT earlier to try and help with the OT. Hopefully she's a lo that tacks on the missed day sleep to her nighttime. (Mine doesn't but a lot do)
Lauren

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 17:21:31 pm »
Hi Hun,

Good advise from Lauren :) It does also seem like you're lacking some consistency with the differences in WU/nap time/length and BT. Trust your mother's instinct, it's the best tool you have. Would you say she was high/low/average sleep needs  ??? Can you watch her in the morning and make a judgement call on whether you think she is UT or OT at nap time  ???

I know this would be hard to bear, but is there any way you could wake her at a consistent time in order to set the day  ??? So like this:

WU 5.30

Nap 11.30

BT 6.30

Then you could start to nudge forward in 15 minute increments until you hopefully get closer to this:

WU 6.30

Nap 12.30 to 2.30

BT 7.30

I know it would was a killer for me to wake Sam early, but this work for us at one point when consistency was seriously lacking.

Let me know your thoughts Hun and (HUGS) x.

Offline Coops Mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 21:10:42 pm »
Ok, here is my update.

For the past two mornings DD has woken consistently between 6:30-6:45am.

I did 6.5 hour A time both days and still have trouble with settling during nap and bed. It's not as bad as it was but definitely not easy to go down.

She is low sleep needs - always has been-- but I'm just not sure how to tweak so she's not so upset to go down. This is a new thing as of a week ago. She used to go down quite easily!

Offline lolsyb1982

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 21:43:38 pm »
Could be the 18mo SR starting a little early?

There are some threads on it on the toddler board. Ours started at about 16/17 months. Quite often you just have to ride it out.
Lauren

Offline Coops Mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 22:10:25 pm »
And she just refused her nap today with my nanny... aye aye aye. She's happy as a clam now! Ha!

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 10:06:16 am »
Could be the 18mo SR starting a little early?

Absolutely, it could be! DS started early with this.

18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2

x.

Offline Jodes112

• Showing Appreciation 42
  • You got this! 🙌🏻
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 14:31:09 pm »
Hi,

Has this been going on for long and did she self settle before?

I'm asking because my dd at around the same age went totally wonky with her sleep and until then she was brilliant at settling herself.  She would refuse nap, cry, get up and out of bed, even if she was shattered!

This lasted for about 2/3 weeks then all of a sudden she went back to normal. I think it was a combo of the 18m sr, teething (as lots popped through all at the same time, so check for that And give meds beforehand if needed!) and also some separation anxiety and the fact she was missing out.

For naps I ended up just getting her up after 20 mins to an hour once the whining And shouting turned to crying and screaming. Then at around 3.30/4 she would ask for a cuddle and just flake out on me. So I would put her down for half an hour then bedtime wouldn't be so difficult as she was so tired.

I knew she was a self settler so in the back of my mind knew she would go back to herself. It was awful at the time but things did start to settle down and she was back to normal.

I'd say just be consistent still and offer the nap At the usual time if she resits get her up and try later if exhausted. If wont nap later then early night!! (6pm)

Just hang in there and be consistent hopefully things will even out again! Xx
Jody
 xx

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 09:40:45 am »
Great advise Jodes112 :) Thank you for adding your wisdom, and Lauren! x.