Author Topic: 13 months, 90 minute night waking!!  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Cleoandskye

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 30, 2014, 08:10:06 am »
Please could you advise me on what you think is going on. My baby is nearly 13 months and her sleeping patterns have suddenly changed. She is having a 3 hour sleep in the morning (used to be 90 minutes), and then another hour or so in the afternoon, or she missed the afternoon nap altogether. If she misses the afternoon nap she is incredibly restless while sleeping at night. Over the last week she has started waking up at around 12am/1am and will not go back to sleep for about 90 minutes. We've had to resort to rocking her or popping her in our bed as we are both so shattered and to sit next to her cot while she cries to be held kills myself and my husband.

Her routine is as follows:

5am wake up
6am bottle
7am breakfast
8:30am sleep (3 hours)
12pm lunch
3:30pm nap (fights to go down/sometimes won't nap at all so we resort to a walk in the pram to just calm her down and give her some quiet time)
5pm dinner
6pm bath
7pm bottle and bed

If she doesn't get her afternoon sleep she wakes every hour for the first two or three hours after she's been put down to bed, just for a dummy and then goes back to sleep, no rocking or picking up required.

Regardless of whether she sleeps in the afternoon or not, she still wakes in the earliest hours of the morning for an extended night waking!

Last night she was up for about 90 minutes and then woke up for her day at 4:45am........I'm so so tired I could cry.

Would be open to any advice or help, please!

With love

Cleo

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 13 months, 90 minute night waking!!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 15:08:55 pm »
With such a long nap that early in the day I imagine she is using it to tack on to her night sleep. Personally I would be pushing out thenmorning A and shooting for one long nap at about 10:00 and then do an early bedtime. Once you have a good one nap routine set you could slowly push bedtime later to get a later wake up.
Heidi

Offline Cleoandskye

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 21:29:04 pm »
Thanks so much for your advice.

We followed your suggestions and put her down at 10am. (She woke at 5am) She only slept for 90minutes and wouldn't go back to sleep after. We then out her down again at 3 (took us from 2:30pm to get her down, lots of fighting), she slept for 45minutes and woke up crying.

At bedtime she cried and cried and cried, and has woken up 3 times since then so upset we've had to rick her. Could she be overtired from me pushing her sleep out this morning? We pushed it out by 90minutes.

She doesn't seem to be teething, or have a temperature. She's not normally a crier, all I can think is that maybe pushing her sleep time this morning maybe started her off overtired? Maybe she's just. Not ready to go to 1 nap just yet.....finding this all so confusing. What do you think?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 13 months, 90 minute night waking!!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 03:09:41 am »
Ah sorry..when i said "shoot for 10:00 am" I meant gradually not all in one go (though tbh my kids were perfectly fine with huge jumps like that, not all lo's are). I would maybe do 20 min or so a day? And just keep a short catnap as a back up if the nap is a bust. What time was bedtime at?
Heidi