Author Topic: Hit me with your best tips to get through canine teething!  (Read 5506 times)

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Hit me with your best tips to get through canine teething!
« on: December 03, 2014, 09:06:18 am »
Argh, losing the will to live here. It's been what feels like forever with these damn canines!

I'm medicating before the nap and BT with ibuprofen. Nap is down to an hour at most, EBT is not working... Took her over an hour to go to sleep last night (usually takes 30mins or so anyway). Waking every hour throughout the night and hard to resettle, waking fully around 4.30am. Dream meds don't work so far in that it wakes her up and thinks it's time to get up  ::).

Stupidly trying for a short CN now, but she's singing away up there. OT has well and truly set in. What have others done if I may ask? Ride it out and keep to set nap and BT? Try for 2 naps? (which isn't looking promising so far). This child is totally resistant to AP, so that's a no-go too I'm afraid. Really interested to hear if people have survived this and not gone completely insane  ;) x

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
Re: Hit me with your best tips to get through canine teething!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 11:30:57 am »
Ah bless you Honey :(

You didn't mention if you have elevated her head  ??? I found it could help, due to the increased salivation, which can drip down the throat and cause an irritating cough. Also because the bloody pools in the head around where LO is teething, it causes a pulsation, a bit like you get with a headache, so raising the head helps with that too.

With NW, Sam absolutely loves this:

http://www.pillowpets.co.uk/dream_lites?gclid=CM3SrpniqcICFUr4wgodOXsAEw

Unlike other stimulating night accessories, he finds this very soothing and it helps him back to sleep. It covers the ceiling in stars and if you set it on blue, it's not too bright. I find when I lie with Sam I almost drop off  ::) shocker  :o Maybe something  like this will be novelty enough to help her right now.

If tweaking isn't working I'd be inclined to stick with her usual routine personally, but I find that all of the switching things up just drives me crazy and isn't always successful. I suspect with her resistance to APOP this may be your best route  :-\.

Hope something here is helpful Honey.

(HUGS)

x.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 14:01:19 pm »
Thanks so much Vicki. She has a toddler pillow but doesn't like the thing whatsoever. She's just woken up an hour into her nap screaming. I don't know what to do for her, I've never seen her like this. I've managed to calm her down eventually but she's still up there tossing and turning by the sounds of it.  :'(

To top things off she is screaming and crying at me all day again like she did with her molars. I'm fast running out of patience with that tbh. She refuses to try talking so is getting very frustrated and it shows when she's teething.

I just hate this sooo much!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 14:09:11 pm »
Just some hugs Kelly, I think you are doing all you can.  DS is teething too at the moment and he's a horror with it, sleep is totally out of the window so although he's much younger, you seriously have my sympathy xx

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 14:24:52 pm »
We're with you too :( These are giving DS2 hell, and I remember it being similar with DS1. I'm going to elevate his mattress tonight as he's coughing through the night from the saliva. We are having creaming fits through the night, poor love.

So just hugs and support from me! x
Catherine x

Offline Mattsmummy

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 15:00:55 pm »
WINE...and chocolate....
but seriously...some meds, and just ride it out...M had a HORRIBLE time with canines...
I do feel for you - it sucks...
hang in there and IIWM I'd try and stick to the routine as much as you can...
"But the fighter still remains"

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 15:53:24 pm »
Have you had her ears checked for infection  ??? I know teething is painful, but an ear infection coincided with teething for Sam and I was missing it because I presumed teeth was the entire cause of his distress. It never hurts to have a GP check a LO over when they're this upset, from experience.  Just a thought, I hope I'm wrong though.

WRT to the pillow, Sam wasn't keen either at that age, so I always used a rolled up towel under his mattress.

x.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 15:55:20 pm by Sammysmammy »

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 16:01:05 pm »
Thanks so much all, I seriously don't know what I'd do without his place. Mattsmummy... I'm definitely going to give the wine and chocolate a go!

I'm also going to elevate the mattress tonight too with a rolled up towel, thanks for that. I'm willing to give anything a go (except co-sleeping as the poor little mite would probably get even less sleep!). I'll stick to the routine come hell or high water.. That's the only thing I'm good at atm. At least that takes the stress out of that.

I'll check her ears now, but she doesn't seem to be tugging on them or anything?! If anything, she's like the bloody energiser (other batteries are available  ;)) bunny atm. She's trashing everything she sees, this must be severe OT  :(

((Hugs)) back Catherine. So sorry you're going through this too. It does make me feel a little better though  :) xx

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 16:04:51 pm »
((Hugs)) back Catherine. So sorry you're going through this too.

I second this  :(.x.

Finger's crossed her ears are okay, and raising her head works. If not then the wine and chocolate are sure to help, recommended for you both! Although I hit the pizza myself.x.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 16:47:52 pm »
I'm a pizza girl too! Normally with the wine.. Then if there's any room left, chocolate! I've arranged for all three tonight and since DH is away working, I'm going to treat myself to a chick flick too. Here's hoping I get to watch the whole film without falling asleep or DD interrupting  ::)

Forgot to send ((hugs)) to you too Katherine. Hopefully you can get some sleep (and/or wine, pizza, chocolate) too xx

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 16:58:59 pm »
Wine, pizza, chocolate sounds fab!

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 17:12:54 pm »
Oh how I wish we could all watch a chic flick together and eat and drink all of the above lol :) The children would be on sleep overs of course :) x.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 17:17:27 pm »
We had to go Triple Threat with J's canines: Ibuprofen, Acetominophen (I think that's paracetamol on your side of the Pond), AND topical gel. Also a Dream Med would have helped had I thought of it at the time, but I had a syringe ready for the inevitable sobbing at 2AM, along with the gel.

Offline Kellyjs

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 17:31:08 pm »
Thanks deb, I haven't been using topical gel, I might have to give that a go too!

I'm thinking 'love actually' for tonight? Christmassy and a feel-good film? It would be lovely to have you all here x

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 18:03:09 pm »
Or 'The Holiday' another christmasy favourite of mine :) x.