Author Topic: 15 mo old always stops eating after 2 bites  (Read 4161 times)

binxyboo

Re: 15 mo old always stops eating after 2 bites
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2006, 01:46:11 am »
At his 14 month check he was 31 lbs and 2 ft 10. I think it is partly genetic, DH is big at 6 ft 4 ins.

He always had great weight gain , surviving mostly on nursing until he was one, then he started eating more.

But all kids are different, you know that.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 01:53:12 am by binxyboo »

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2006, 01:52:39 am »
Wow he is a big boy.

Zach has ALWAYS been in the low % for his weight.

So...  I know you had said it so many times before, but what would you do.  Just stop ALL dairy even hidden for 2/3 weeks and see if his poops and mood improves?  If not then I will know it is something else or just the way it is.

Like I said (this week) he has been fine though.  Still the large, smelly poops with food in it.  He does have some BAD smelly gas, but does not seem bothered by it. 

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

binxyboo

« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2006, 01:55:32 am »
Yes, I would take it all out. It won't hurt him anyway.

If there is a big difference, then you can play with it a bit and intro yoghurt, for example, to see if he can tolerate that. KWIM?

binxyboo

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2006, 01:59:10 am »
And you will have to keep in mind that by this age, they get so used to being one way that you may not notice a 100% difference in his moods.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2006, 01:59:28 am »
Thanks!  By the way what does KWIM mean.  I have seen that a lot and that is the only one I don't know what it stands for.

Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

binxyboo

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2006, 04:55:38 am »
KWIM?

Know what I mean?

I did assume of course that you would run anything by the docs first, so you are all on the same page. I guess the dilemma  is if  it is the dairy, he won't eat more until it's gone and he feels better, but you don't want to remove it if he's not eating anything else. You could intro rice milk as a snack to see how he likes it, I guess.

He does seem to go through phases of being fine again doesn't he?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 05:01:28 am by binxyboo »

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2006, 11:39:17 am »
You can also have a wheat/gluten intolerance (and show symptoms similar to celiac) without actually testing positive for celiac disease. I agree with everyone - I'd discuss with the dietician about cutting out all dairy/soy and possible even wheat for two weeks to see if it improves his poops, eating and overall mood.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Lucysmom

• Showing Appreciation 118
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2006, 14:19:13 pm »
Hi -

Yes, under the supervision of a dietician, INSIST on putting Zach on an elimination diet.   

Also, my dd is 18 months and she is almost exactly the same size and weight as Zach.  She is about 21.5 pounds and is 31 inches or something.  Dh and I are petite, so we are not concerned about it and neither is our pediatrician.  All we can do is offer healthy foods and she will eat what she wants.

If, as you say, Zach has always be in the lower percentiles for his weight, then it seems to me that he is naturally pre-disposed to being on the lower end in terms of weight.  My pediatrician has told me time and time again that as long as a child is pretty much following their established weight curve, they are fine.  And she also has said many times that children stop gaining weight at such a high rate once they enter toddlerhood (not a word really but you understand what I am saying!!  ;) ).  So as long as there is not a DRAMATIC decrease in their weight, then my pediatrician says there is nothing to worry about.

I hope I am not coming across as pushy or a know-it-all, I certainly don't know everything and I am just trying to help.  I feel like your doctors are not clearly explaining things to you and it makes me angry and frustrated.  Your son's poos do not sound normal at all, and neither does his bad gas.  I would arm yourself with the knowledge you have gained here about allergies/intolerances, and simply take charge of his care.  Like I said before, call the dietician, and get him on an elimination diet.  That would include getting him off of the pediasure since it does contain milk proteins.  You may very well find that he will eat a lot more once he is no longer having gastro-intestinal problems. 

Sorry you are going through this.  Hugs to you and Zach.