Author Topic: food quantity for 8mth old  (Read 1001 times)

Offline hawkeye1315

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 23, 2006, 15:20:27 pm »
My 8mth DS has the following eating plan:
7am - 8oz bottle, 3 tbsp of cereal with 3oz of formula
12pm - 5oz bottle, 1 tbsp of cereal with 1oz of formula, 3 tbsp of veggies and 1 tbsp of protein
5h30pm - 8oz bottle, 2 tbsp of cereal with 2oz of formula, 3 tbsp of veggies and 1 tbsp of protein

He's followed this routine since he was about 6mths and has dropped his dreamfeed since about 5mths.  He takes 2 naps daily of about 1.5-2hrs each and sleeps through the night from about 7pm til 6h30am. 

I'll be introducing fruits shortly to his diet.  I opted to introduce protein first before fruits because my health professional said it was okay and that it may help with protein adoption. 

Are the quantities of food enough for my DS?   Should I increase his portions?  I realize all babies are different, but what quantities do your babies eat? 

TIA :)

binxyboo

Re: food quantity for 8mth old
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 16:07:54 pm »
Under a year, milk, be it breastmilk or formula, should be the mainstay of your childs diet. Since your baby has a good intake of formula, it looks like everything is on track! Since your baby is sleeping so well, it certainly doesn't seem as though hunger is an issue, although of course, hunger isn't the only reason why babies wake, if only it were that simple!

Have you intro's any finger foods yet? Riley really enjoyed eating little pieces of cereal, toast, soft fruit etc at that age. It's so exciting to see them self feed themselves too!

There is lots of great info in the frequently asked questions section, and also feeding routines where Moms share about what their lo's eat at the top of this board. I think you'll find exactly what you are looking for there!

Offline momto2princes

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 18:40:01 pm »
Hi there,
I second that your schedule looks pretty good.
As long as you continue to give him is bottle first and solids second you can feed him until he tells you he has had enough. As long as he is growing, active and alert then I would feel confident he is getting what he needs.

Jasmyne
Tyler 02*03
Logan 04*06

Offline Mom2one

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: food quantity for 8mth old
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 02:24:49 am »
Hi there,

My DD will be 8 months old next week and here is what our feeding schedule.  I wonder too if it's okay, but thought I'd post it for you to see.

7am-5.5oz bottle
8:30am-breakfast (handful of cheerios and 2-3 tbsp of fruit)
11:15am-5-7oz bottle
12:30-lunch 2tbsp cereal, 2tbsp meat, 2tbsp veggie (this is what I offer, she doesn't always finish)
3:30-6-7oz bottle
5pm-dinner 2tbsp cereal, 2tbsp meat, 2tbsp veggie, 2tbsp fruit (again this is what I offer, she doesn't always finish)
7:30-6-8oz bottle