Author Topic: 3 month old waking at 5.30am  (Read 8398 times)

Offline traineeparent

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 09, 2006, 02:40:55 am »
My 3 1/2 month old has been waking at 5.30am several times lately - after sleeping through to 6.30 or 7 am for 3 weeks. So far I've always fed her - not sure if it's the 3 month growth spurt, so i've given here the benefit of the doubt. She fed but I'm not sure if she was really that hungry.  One day she woke at 4.30am really hungry - (gulped for 20 mins), other days at 5.30am and the occasional 6.30 or 7.   After the 4.30am wake up I tried feeding every 2 - 2.5 hrs for 2 days, thinking it was a growth spurt - but that day became a bit of a mess and I wasnt' sure if she took enough because she wasn't really hungry at some feeds.  Now I'm not sure what to do about the night waking.

It all seemed to start after she started cooing. One morning she woke at 5am, cooed and talking to herself then she went back to sleep (I didn't go to her).  The next night the cooing turned to more emotional sounding whimpering sort of coo-crying but not full-out crying.    How long should I wait before going to her?  I feel like I'm leaving her to cry if I wait for full-out crying, it's whimpering/whining but gets to sound more desperate. Not sure if this is a mantra cry or not??  Am I going to her too soon?

I'm not sure if I should be starting to do pu/pd or stick with shush-pat. Each time she wakes with the whimpering cry I try shush-pat but it hasn't calmed her so I've fed her.

At bedtime she's harder to settle now. should I be using pu/pd now instead of shush-pat?  Now that she can find her hands she tries to suck them but it seems to distract her. I swaddle her but if I leave her hands in, she's frustrated trying to find them. If I leave one hand out, it seems to distract her and she's hard to settle.  If I do pu/pd, should I only pu if it's a full-out cry. I think she's doing a mantra cry, kind of a protest cry when I put her down.  It used to take about 10-20 mins to settle her with shush-pat but now she could stay awake for ages fiddling with her hands. (She was using a dummy/pacifier but she's not interested in it any more. She virtually never went to sleep sucking it, usually only sucked it for a couple of minutes then released it when calm. I've virtually stopped using it - only during the day when out if very upset).
 If I left she'd eventually cry.  Do i leave and wait for her to cry then come back in, or do I try to shush-pat her - it takes ages if she's distracted with her hands. I'm also not sure what to do at naptime.   One night she was sucking her hands to soothe herself but she just gets frustrated with her hands now, she's rooting trying to put her hand in but not quite being successful.

To make it all harder we've got family from overseas staying for a month, and we're currently with them on holiday out of town for 10 days - using a portacot - she's adjusted to that ok.  So I don't want to start any major nap-extending pu/pd stuff till they've gone.  But I don't want to get into bad habits re rushing into her after a nap/night waking etc.

How old is your child?  3 1/2 months
What’s his/her daily routine?   2.5 - 3 hr EASY.  Only does 45 min naps so often becomes 2.5 hrs and EASA. If I'm out with buggy or car she might sleep longer but no guarantee.  She's been on EASY since 4 weeks, but I've only started doing a consistent wake-up time of 7am for the last 3 weeks or so.  Prior to that I waited till she woke, or woke her if still asleep at 8.30.
Times are approx, depends how long it takes to settle her for naps.
E 7 wake up, change nappy/diaper and feed
A 7.45
S 8.30 (45 mins)
E 9.30
A 10
S 11 (45 mins)
E 12.30
A 1
S 2  (45 mins)
E 3 / 3.30
A 3.30
S 4.30 / 5 (45 mins)  Doesn't always have this nap if too overtired and hard to settle.
E 6.30
A 7 bath
E 7.30 feed (usually small top-up)
S 8. could take 20 - 30 mins to settle her
E 11 Dream Feed

Wakes any time 5.30 - 7. Several times have had to wake her at 7.

What’s nap routine?   Shut curtains, sit on bed and sing lullaby, bed. If at home, always in her bassinette.

How long are naps?  45 mins unless out in buggy or car, and that's no guarantee
What's bedtime routine? Feed, bath, feed, music, sit on bedside and sing lullaby, bed.
Time? about 8pm
Do you bottle or breastfed?? Breast
How much? or how long? Usually about 20 mins
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) Usually both
How many wakes per night? 1 or none
What’s your LO like when waking at night? Whimpering turns into emotional-sounding calling out, but not full-on cry. When I went to her she smiled looked happy then cried when I tried shush-pat/   How long is he/she up?  I tried 5 mins of shush-pat then fed her, so about 1/2  hr
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Fussing     Or is it a mantra cry? not sure
What have you tried to settle??  shush-pat
What do you do for A time and how long is it?  play on play-gym, reading books, looking out window, talking, singing. Incl feed total is about 1.5 hrs.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?  Cooing. Found her hands
Have you introduced cereal? No.
      Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? Was using a dummy (pacifier) but not interested any more. Virtually never went to sleep sucking it, usually released it when calm. If I offer it now, she spits it straight out. So I've virtually stopped using it - only offer it during the day when out if very upset - and generally not interested.
Do they have a lovie? no

Help please! I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Offline torontomamma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • A day at the beach!
Re: 3 month old waking at 5.30am
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 00:59:54 am »
It's hard when they wake early - I've been a mom of early wakings myself.
My lo needed a early morning (for me it was around 4am) feed until about 6months old.  I would go in when I heard her, feed her and then put her back to sleep for a couple hours (if I was lucky!)

Is it possible to get her back to sleep after she wakes?  Does she seem sleepy still or completely awake and ready for the day?

Good luck!
Jaime
Jaime - Toronto, Canada

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mymers

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 16:26:21 pm »
My 14 week old has been waking between 4:15am (UGH!) and 5:30am since his 12 week growth spurt. I've tried a couple of things... leaving him until he starts to get more worked up (which tends to be around 6:00am) then going in and soothing him and also going in right away and putting a little hand pressure on him. Either way, he seems to get more worked up when I come in, so I end up giving in and picking him up at the upset cry. I know I should probably wait for the frustrated cry, but I'm usually too tired to wait for that point. I end up picking him up and shh/patting him on my shoulder from anywhere between 10-20 minutes. He tends to settle and allows me to put him back in his crib all groggy and will sleep until our 7:10am wake up time. It has been working without an extra feed, but I'm not sure if I'm causing more problems in the future by picking him up early. Sorry I'm of no help. I'd like to see what others suggest as well.

My-Hanh

Offline traineeparent

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 02:50:59 am »
Hi Torontomamma
Thanks for your reply.  Yes she goes back to sleep by herself, I don't have to do anything. I put her down awake after the feed (she might be groggy but awake). If it's almost 7am then I'd keep her up for the day because she'd be pretty awake by then.   

Thinking about it some more, I think she's definitely hungry - she feeds for 15 mins or so which is near a full feed. Perhaps it's not habitual waking like I thought - she can put herself back to sleep - I've heard her wake at 3am a few nights and whimper a bit, yelp then go back to sleep. 

Up till about 3 weeks ago she was sleeping till 6.30 or 7am (now suddenly lots of 5am wake ups). I think what's changed since then is that I decided to have a consistent wake-up time of 7am, so I'd feed her at 7am (or at least by 7.30) even if she'd fed at 5 or 6.    The problem is that she takes so little at 7am (or 7.30) (5 mins at most) that in effect she's getting one less feed between 7am and bedtime, so maybe that's why she's hungry at 5???

Prior to that I've woken her 3 hrs from the previous feed (i.e. if she woke and fed at 5am I'd wake and feed at 8 and start the day.  If at 6 then 9am).  Is there any problem with doing this? The book doesn't explain how to deal with the 5/6am wakeups.  I can't see how I can get a decent feed into her if she's not hungry.  I'm thinking that when she consistently sleeps til 7 then I could make all times the same/similar - or won't this work?  It still makes it difficult to plan your day of course but I might get to 7am quicker.

The other change around the same time  is a new swaddle (velcro cotton swaddle) since she'd outgrown the first one. She's in between sizes and wriggles her hands out of this one now.

Mi Mymers
Thanks for your reply.  I admit I've given in and fed her after 5 minutes of shush-patting and often less. But she sounds worked up and isn't calmed by being picked up which she usually would.   Her cries have changed since she started cooing so it's a little harder to tell.

Offline torontomamma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • A day at the beach!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 13:40:45 pm »
I think what you are doing sounds fine, I would feed at 5 then feed again at the regular wake up time.  I don't think that is causing the 5am wake up, I think they just can't go quite that long without getting hungry at 3mos (she is going about 6hrs which is good).

I did what you are doing now, and about 6 months (after we started solids) she dropped that 4am feed quite easily.

Not sure if you have checked the naps board but there is a lot of info on 45 min naps...

Best Wishes,
Jaime
Jaime - Toronto, Canada

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mymers

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 20:07:08 pm »
Hi,

I asked about 5-6am wake ups awhile back as well. The advice I got at the time was either give a partial feed when they wake followed by a full feed at your normal wake up time or vice versa. When my LO woke at 6 a few times, I just gave him a little to settle his stomach and put him right back down until our 7:00-7:15am wake up. It seemed to work for us. When he wakes closer to 5am, I give him a full feed. He usually takes close to a full feed at 7am as well. Hope that helps.

My-Hanh

Offline nikki 1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 23:00:46 pm »
my little bundle of joy who is 9 months old has recently (3 weeks ago) started waking at 11pm and 5am appox for a bottle I've tyred the pickup/putdown method but he will not settle until he has a feed !!!  he eats to a route during the day and eats really well so he's not going to bed hungry!any tips/advice gratefully received THANKS

Offline jomige

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 23:28:37 pm »
Traineeparent,
You may also want to consider moving your LO to a 3.5 hour EASY.  My DD started waking more at night and having short naps and I was advised to move her to a 3.5 hour EASY (although in doing that she moved herself to a 4 hour EASY)...It definitely helped with her naps and nighttime.  I thought that it might make her wake up more at night (with one less feeding a day) but it has actually helped.  I was also surprised she was able to handle more awake time.  We went from a similar schedule to yours to this:

E 6:30 am (BF all feeds x 20-30 minutes)
A 7:00 
S 8:00 or 8:15 (she normally naps about  2 hours 15 minutes...I let her go a bit over the 2 hour mark but it hasn't disrupted her night sleep yet)

E 10:30
A 11
S 12:15

E 2:30
A 3
S 4:15 cat nap (30-45 minutes in stoller during walk)

E 5:30 (I do a 3 hour interval here so I can top her off before bed)
A 6:00 bath/stories
S 6:30

E 10:30 DF

E 4:30 (but she has never slept through the night...but at least she only wakes once now not 2-3 times which she reverted back to a few weeks ago!).

I hope this helps.  I would definitely recommend trying the 3.5 hour schedule...based on her awake times it looks as if she may be able to handle it.  There is a great thread on the EASY FAQs board on when to switch and some sample schedules of a 3.5 hour EASY.  There is also a great transition schedule in BWSAYP.

HTH and good luck!

Jodi
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline clarapist

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 13:36:29 pm »
OMGOSH- I just posted the SAME post about my LO in night wakings, too! :) MY LO is 4 months, and did the SAME.  Guess I should have read yours first! My only difference is that he will often take a LONG nap in the pm, and I hate to wake him b/c he obviously need it. I'll be following both posts. :) PM me if you'd like to chat to see what works!
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline traineeparent

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 09:28:26 am »
Hi, thanks for all the advice.  In the last 2-3 weeks the 5am wakeups seem to have gone away! (Here's hoping).  We had a 3am wakeup 2 weeks ago (very hungry) but it's back to waking her at 7am (she's usually lying there awake). The occasional 6.30.     I'm keen to try moving her to 3.5 hr EASY.  How are you others going?

Offline cazza92

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 10:05:27 am »
Sorry do not really have any decent advice! when megan was that little sdhe used to wake at five am and i used to go into the spare room and cuddle up with her :-[ Bad i know but at the time it gave me another couple of hours sleep. She gradually started sleeping later as she got older. Its all abit difficult in the first coulple of months but it does ger easier as they get older or so they tell me!

Offline Mymers

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 01:34:14 am »
Hi,

We're doing better with the 5:30am wake ups as well. He still stirs awake, but can put himself back to sleep after a little talking. We were getting up between 7:00-7:30am, but I have been creeping it in towards 6:15-6:30am because we will have to start earlier when I go back to work soon. Thanks for checking in.

My-Hanh

Offline dani2806

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 17:15:14 pm »
My lo is 4 months old and has started to wake up at 5:45 after 3 weeks of waking between 6:30 - 7.
I had decided to start my days that early but from yesterday I changed my mind, I'm too tired. So I tried something diffenrent this morning. I fed him at 5:45 (I diluted 2 spoons of formula in4oz of water), he had it all and slept.
I then woke him at 7:30 not sure if this was right...

I'll try this for a few more days and see if he wean himself of the early feed.

Just my view, I'm not an expert on this as you can see but hope others can help you more.
all the best
Dani