Author Topic: Why won't she eat?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline rinajack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 162
Why won't she eat?
« on: December 10, 2006, 01:55:20 am »
My 8mo DD won't eat at the moment.  This has happened before when she has been ill, but I cannot see any sign of illness currently.  She is teething, and this always sends her off bottles (in fact if conditions are not 100% perfect she goes off bottles) but she normally eat solids like it is her last meal.

When she has refused to eat due to illness she did not wake at night for food either.  This has been going on a couple of days now, and she woke up hungry last night - when she wouldn't settle after 1.5 hrs, I fed her a bottle and she took 180ml in a couple of minutes, absolutely starving.

She is not taking all that much milk to make up for not eating. She often doesn't take much milk, but like I said eat heaps of solids including HEAPS of yoghurt to make up for it.

When she is a bit fussy about food I give her finger food and she eats that instead - but she isn't eating that either, just playing with it.

Why won't she eat?  And what can I do to encourage her and prevent more night feeding?

Her normal feeding routine is:

6:30 Bfast - cereal with yoghurt mixed in and formula mixed in too followed by bottle. 
9ish - Morning Tea - fruit - usually a peach or the like cut in half with the seed removed.
11ish Lunch - vegies/protein, then some pureed fruit, then bottle
2ish After noon Tea - as with morning tea, or an arrowroot.  sometimes a different fruit that she has in safe feeder
4:30ish Dinner - vegies/protein (significant portion of finger food here) plus yoghurt
6ish Bottle.

Normally she easily eats all teh solids, and bottles vary greatly.  With less solids, she never makes up the difference in milk, so we try to no focus too much on that, and give lots of yoghurt.  Now she is barely touching the solids, and as normal, is not making up for it with the milk.

??? ??? ???
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 08:47:21 am »
Ds did the same sort of thing at about the same age - just seemed to go through a phase of not eating anything (leaving me tearing my hair out!!!!).  I figured it was just his little "thing" at the time - he wasn't sick and seemed happy so I figured he'd eat when he was hungry.  One thing I tried not to do was make a big issue of it - he already knows what buttons to press to wind his mum up and I was darned if I was going to give him one more!  Also, at that stage, he whacked out 6 teeth in a fortnight and I reckon that played a huge part.  He was still having wet and dirty nappies so I figured he was OK.

It lasted for a couple of weeks - then he hit a growth spurt at 9mo and ate us out of house and home!

Could she be wanting to feed herself with the spoon and refusing your help?  Is there anything at all she will eat (we survived on toast with cheese spread!)?  Could you speak to your health visitor or GP for reassurance?

I'm sorry I'm not being much use here but sending a hug because it's hard to deal with.

Offline rinajack

Re: Why won't she eat?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 09:00:40 am »
No I tried letting her feed herself, but she is only playing with the food.  We don't make a big deal out of it (I don't have the patience to argue with her, and she is spirited so it would do me no good anyway). 

Should I just DF until she decides she will eat again?  I really don't want to get in the habit of night feeding.

I am not worried from the point of view of her not eating "enough" but I am frustrated that she won't eat during the day bus is hungry at night.  We have been through periods of her eating even less than this, but she wasn't waking for night feeds then, so this is more annoying iykwim....
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline maisy

• Showing Appreciation 131
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 10:15:59 am »
Hi Rina, we were going through this around a month ago (whenKirsten was 8 mo)  she has literally survived on cheese and yoghurt! oh and toast. I tried homemade , jars , the only thing she would consistantly eat was finger foods. mainly cheese. she seems to be coming out of it now (touch wood) but we are now having a fight to get her in her highchair. she starts screaming as we lower her into it so thisis affecting her food intake a bit as she wont stay in it long enough to eat!

I am sure she will pick up again soon - this too shall pass!  :-*

x x x x
Lee Ann,

Offline rinajack

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 10:25:35 am »
Thanks guys.  In the meantime should i dream feed or wait and see if she wakes?
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline maisy

• Showing Appreciation 131
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 11:08:30 am »
Rina, if it was me (and it is omo) I would wait and see if she wakes. If she isnt used to having a dream feedthen I would reckon you are reinforcing the habit of nightfeeding. Does that make sense?  If she hasnt had enough in the day then she wil wake at night but maybe if you do a dream feed then it will contribute to the lack of daytime eating.

Ok I read that back and know it doesnt make much sense, but my brain wont allow me to to fix it! LOL
(works xmas party last night  ::) enough said!)

I hope that helps

x x x x
Lee Ann,

Offline rinajack

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 19:32:50 pm »
OK I didnt DF and she woke at 4am but settled easily enough.  And hasn't woken yet at 5:40am (although I think she is starting to, this has been a good sleep in for her).

Fingers crossed she eats today!
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline legend_018

• Showing Appreciation 21
  • I love bath time!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 18:27:01 pm »
Believe me I know how you feel. My LO stopped eating solids it seems to be a long time ago now. I try everyday and she is never interested. I have been trying finger foods but she just maily plays with them. I try a lot of things and I try many different times of the day. but nope - she just won't eat. It's real frustrating sometimes. bottles she is good, although even those she cuts back on here and there. She stopped eating solids I want to say a little before she turned 7 month and she is 8 1/2 months old now. I even put some delmonte fruit on her tray and than I tried putting it into the blender today but NOPE. I can't begin too tell you what I have tried and what I keep on trying. I even had another topic opened for it and gots lots of great encouragement and advise ect.
Chayse was born March 28, 2006
Chaunda was born August 13, 2007

Offline rinajack

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 19:52:28 pm »
I think I worked out why she won't eat.  I have a wicked sore throat, with no other symptoms of illness, so I am guessing she has this too.  When I swallow it feels like there is a major swollen lump in my throat and it really really hurts.

She has decided once again that yoghurt is ok to eat.  But is still pretty low on everything else, but is not waking hungry so I can live with that. ::)

Legend.  I read your post, and have just had one idea what else you can try.  Do you eat at same time as lo?  Does she show an interest in your food?  What if you sit down with a plate of your food, then wait til she is interested in it, then feed her food from your plate?  Certainly can't hurt to try, I know Zara always eats better if we are both eating, particularly on finger foods.
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 18:12:29 pm »
We eat together and ds is very keen to try our food, using our forks (gently of course).  We just let him, it means he tries more stuff - most of our food is cooked fresh an I don't use salt anyway so I think it's OK.