Author Topic: doesn't seem to want to start solids  (Read 838 times)

Offline Sylvia.

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 232
doesn't seem to want to start solids
« on: December 11, 2006, 02:37:21 am »
just wondered if this was kinda normal, i have been offering solids for three weeks and dd2 just is not interested, she will just not want to open her mouth, i started with rice cereal, then pumpkin mixed with rice cereal, apple, sweet potato, i even went as far as trying store bought, no go, i am concerned as we have finally after months of trying managed to get her to sleep though the night, i am sure soon this will not be enough to sustain her, any ideas, when should i start to worry? sylvia

Offline xfionax

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • We are English living in Thailand
Re: doesn't seem to want to start solids
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 08:20:30 am »
Don't worry at all. I started solids when DD was 6.5 months and it took until 7.5 months before she seemed at all keen. At first, the only thing I could get her to eat more than two mouthfuls of was banana. So I spent ages mixing things with banana and then slowing reducing the amount of banana in the mix.
At 9.5 months, she can still take or leave solids. She has Weetabix for breakfast which she loves,  and two other meals around 1pm and 5pm, which she isn't very keen on. She still has 8oz bottles at 11am, 3pm and 7pm.
She is a big girl (4kgs at birth) and I really thought she would eat like a horse, but no! She never wakes up hungry in the night, so she's obviously getting all she needs.
Just let your LO get used to the idea and don't worry about it. I found it really frustrating at first and wasted so much food by always making too much, but now I've accepted that she's just not a big eater. ;)
HTH
Fiona  :-*

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: doesn't seem to want to start solids
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 21:54:33 pm »
Sylvia just wanted to say that some babies take to solids relly well (mine included) and others take a little longer. Keep persisting and you will probably find soon that DD2 will start wanting it ;)

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Mishu

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 10:51:31 am »
We started solids at 6 months but DS wasn't interested either. He was a big boy at birth (4.18kg) so I thought he would have a hearty appetite but nope. I didn't stress about it, thinking he will eat when he is ready. We had fun those 5 weeks, playing with his food even if he didn't eat it - I wanted him to get used to the texture, getting messy & gooey, so that eating was fun and not a stressful time.

Then, after about 5 weeks of refusing to open his mouth for food, we discovered yoghurt  ;D Once he got a taste of this, DS couldn't get enough, and then he started to eat other foods. So, going from maybe a baby teaspoon or two a day, we are now (at 8 months) having 3 meals a day, with his main lunch meal (vegies & chicken or beef) about 4 tablespoons or more. I cook all of DS's food and he seems to love it, which is great (not too keen on jars of baby food, turns up his nose at that). I also discovered that if DS wasn't keen on a particular vegie mix, I just added a small amount of grated cheese to it and then he wolfed it down  :)

HTH

Michelle