Author Topic: Barely nursing between solid feeds  (Read 1631 times)

Offline Sammys Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Barely nursing between solid feeds
« on: December 11, 2006, 21:53:48 pm »
My LO is just over 6 months old and is not really nursing between solid feeds.
Here's what our eating routine had been like:
7am - breastfeed
8-30am - cereal and pureed prunes (Dr suggestion as a bit constipated)
11am - breastfeed (very frustrating as nurses for a couple of minutes then not interested)
12-30pm - veggies (we are working our way through them)
3pm - breastfeed (same as 11am)
5pm - veggies
7pm - breastfeed (does better here)
10pm - dreamfeed

I am a very anxious first time mother anyway but this is causing me major anxiety as I am concerned about him getting enough liquids (we are "learning" how to use the sippy cup but he isn't really taking any water in yet).
I am also worried about my milk supply...

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated as I am becoming very upset about all this.
Thanks.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

binxyboo

Re: Barely nursing between solid feeds
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 22:01:45 pm »
That seems like a lot of solids at 6 months old IMO. I think most lo's just start off with one small feed once a day at that age. The solids will cause him not to feel hungry when it's time to nurse. I agree with you that milk is the most important for him at that age, so I would suggest decreasing the solids so he just has them once a day for so, either for breakfast or lunch. You should check out the FAQ section for some ideas on how to start solids, sample schedules etc.

I see this is your first post on BW! Welcome!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 22:19:10 pm by Binxyboo »

Offline Sammys Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 22:07:46 pm »
Thanks for the advice.
Do you think I should keep going through the veggies for his one meal or stick with just cereal for a while?
(I looked at the sample schedules - thanks)

binxyboo

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 22:11:38 pm »
I would mix and match. We started cereal, fruits and veggies at around the same time. How long has Sammy been on solids?

Offline Sammys Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 22:15:00 pm »
About 4 weeks.
I feel silly - it seems obvious now that I am feeding him too many solids but he seemed so happy to eat them that I just kept giving them to him.  I am probably overdoing quantities too. 

binxyboo

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 22:18:31 pm »
Some children do just seem to gobble them down! We never had that problem, the opposite in fact! As long as you nurse first, then offer the solids afterwards, you could follow your lo's cues, so long as he is not too overfull for his next nursing. How much does he typically eat?

As regards the prunes, I always found they made Riley gassy, but peaches worked a treat for us. He was a constipated little thing as well.

Offline Sammys Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 22:28:16 pm »
He normally eats:
2 tblsps cereal w/ 2 tblsps expressed milk
2 tsps prunes
For veggies meals: 2 cubes (4 tblsps?)
-I really appreciate your thoughts on this...
I feel horrible as I have brought this problem on myself and just hope that I haven't done irrepairable damage to my milk supply.

Offline Sammys Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 22:40:18 pm »
Thanks so much for the advice - I will be trying that tomorrow.
No solids for dinner tonight and he seems fine.
Thanks too for the reassurance - I very much appreciate it.

binxyboo

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 23:07:14 pm »
I would agree with Stacy, it's all about supply and demand. I nursed Riley until he was 14 months, and there were days when he would eat very little solids because of teething or whatnot, and there was always enough milk for him, even if I had to feed more than usual.

Your baby is absolutely adorable by the way. LOVE the t-shirt!

Offline Sammys Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 14:50:40 pm »
Thanks for the advice.
He woke up to nurse last night and has been grumpy today but I think that is more to do with teething and being constipated (though he finally had a BM!).
Most importantly, he is nursing better.
Thanks for the compliment - we think he is a wee honey and I promise that the shirt was a gift (we should all feel that way though, right?)

binxyboo

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 15:42:44 pm »
Glad to hear that. Does he usually not wake at all in the night?

Offline Sammys Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006, 17:56:25 pm »
No, he does not usually wake at night - he usually sleeps until 6-30am/7-00am.
He woke up around 2am and then again at 5-45am.
He is not having a great day but we are all off our routine as I nursed him when he woke both times (in fact, we started the day at 5-45am so that has thrown us both off a bit).
I only gave him 1 cube of veggies at bfast (I was avoiding cereal until he had a BM) and 1 tblsp prune puree so he may have been hungry as he didn't nap well (or poor napping could be due to non-routine day?).  He just had 2 cubes of zucchini at lunch (about 45 mins after last nurse).  I am not planning on dinner but as suggested, I will offer the breast if he seems to be hungry at about that time.
I was also instructed by the Dr to give him fluoride drops in his food so this may be affecting him.  Did you have any experience with those?
Thanks again for your help - I hope I am not monopolizing your time.

binxyboo

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006, 19:56:30 pm »
You are not monopolizing anyones time, please don't ever think that. We are all here to chat and learn from each other.

I have never used flouride drops at all, why were they recommended? When I started to offer Riley water in a sippy at that age, I used filtered tap water or cooled boiled water, which the doctor said was fine. Maybe it has something to do with the water in your area?

Wow, he usually sleeps through fully! That's great. If you think he is hungry now that you are decreasing the solids, you could definitely offer to nurse more, and also decrease the solids at dinner gradually, so that your supply can gradually adjust. So if you were offering sat 3 ounces of food before, offer 2 and nurse again. KWIM?

Offline Sammys Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 01:24:22 am »
Wow - what a day!
I am absolutely exhausted and I think that poor wee Sammy is too.
We started our evening routine early tonight as he seemed so tired and cranky (not surprising after what I put him through) and he went down very quickly (he nursed for a while then fell asleep during).  I am guessing that he will probably wake up prior to his dreamfeed but we'll see...
So, I nursed him more frequently today - he was asking for it.
I know this will take a few days but I feel comforted that this is the right thing as he is nursing again.
It was the tears and screaming that I have never really seen before that got me today - I am trying very hard not to feel like the worst mother in the world (OK, pity party for me - sorry...)
Re: the fluoride - the Dr said that as he is not really getting any water (Sammy chews the sippy cup more than anything right now) and he is not getting water through formula as he is breastfed that I should do the fluoride until he takes in water from the sippy.

Offline nursekat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2006, 18:52:06 pm »
Hi I just popped in because we are dealing with some of the same stuff, although my dd is a little older...but I wanted to say we also use the fluoride drops because our city does not put fluoride in the water.  It is very important for babes to get it during this time of tooth development.  It shouldn't cause constipation (don't know if that was your question), as we struggle with that and that was one of my big questions.  My DH is a dentist so let me know if you have any more questions 'bout it!

Offline Sammys Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 19:12:02 pm »
Thanks for your input about the fluoride.
We have been mixing it into his food and he doesn't seem to notice so atleast that isn't causing me worry!  Seeing as you have some "teeth" knowledge... do you use baby toothpaste when you brush? 

Offline nursekat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 20:40:29 pm »
We don't have any teeth yet here!  :D  I didn't get my first tooth until 15mos, so we're thinking dd might be going that route...but from what I understand, at this age toothpaste isn't as important as the actual act of brushing (not to mention other care like not putting to bed with a bottle), so it's up to you.  I like to think of Tracy's phrase, "Start as you mean to go on," so I plan on using it just to get the habit going.