Author Topic: Is this normal  (Read 1136 times)

Offline ric131

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 24, 2006, 00:45:08 am »
Hi,

My 4 month old was sleeping at night with 1 feed but has suddenly pick up another. Is it normal for a four month to have two feeds a night and will they decrease again on their own. I breast feed exclusively and have tried increasing his feeds but hav had no change. He also falls asleep feeding at night after a good sized feed and can be very difficult to wake to put back to bed.

Ric

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: Is this normal
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 00:48:43 am »
Can you post your routine with eating and napping times?

Offline ric131

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 03:33:21 am »

He is on a four hour feeding rountine and feeds at 7, 11, 3 and 6. This varies by 15min depending on the day. At bedtime he is put in his sleeping bad his arms are swaddled i sing him a lullaby and put him down awake in his bed. if he fusses we give him a dummy until he calms down but take it away before he falls asleep. We pat/shush to calm but if it amps up we give the dummy again to calm and repeat this until he is calm and we can leave the room. He feed both sides for everyfeed. 25min on oneside and then 5-15min on the other. He wakes up for 2 feeds at night about 12-1 and then 4-5 and takes a fairly good feed. I read somewhere that under 6months If they wake at night you should feed them. I wait til he has definitely woken nefore going in though.

Ric

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 00:13:13 am »
Sounds pretty good to me.  After all he is going 5 or 6 hours between feeds.  Have you tried to do a dream feed at 10 or 11? 

Offline chocho

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 00:29:48 am »
Hi ric131,
It sounds like your DS might be going through the growth spurt since he requires a full feed at that additional time at night.  My DD had the same thing and a dream feed around 10:30pm fixed the problem. 

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 00:49:31 am »
I am having the same problem. ::) My dd is 4.5 months old and started waking through the night after previously sleeping through.  I started doing a DF 6 oz. but she would still wake at least once a night.  During the day she drinks four 8oz bottles plus the DF, that's 38 ozs.  :o  That's alot for her age.  And she still will wake and if I give it to her she would take at least 6 ozs. through the night.  She takes in so much during the day that I can't imagine that she is still hungry through the night. 

Last night I did a DF at 10:30pm and she still got up at 1am and 4am. ::)  It took me 10 mins of PU/PD to get her back to sleep at 1am but then I feed her 5oz. at 4am. and then she got up at 6:30am.  She normally would get up at 7am but I figured why try to get her back to sleep now.   I don't know what her issue is?  I think I am going to drop the DF, I don't know if her stomach is too full and this is waking her up through the night?  She previously slept through the night w/o the DF.  Who knows  ??? ???  I definitely can not figure her out. 

Her reflux is slightly flared up (fussing/crying during feedings) right now so this could have something to do with it.  She is such a good napper, I am not sure what else I could try?
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline ric131

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 02:48:56 am »
My DS won't dream feed. If I can get him attached tp the breast at all when asleep (he shuts his mouth reallt tightly) he doesn't take a proper feed and I still end up having to get up.

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 15:43:10 pm »
The don't do the df if it will only disturb him.  I think he is doing fine. And if he is taking  a full feed then he is hungry so you should feed him.