Author Topic: Eary wakings getting earlier by the day.... please help  (Read 896 times)

Offline torontomamma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • A day at the beach!
Eary wakings getting earlier by the day.... please help
« on: August 25, 2006, 11:30:28 am »
It seems as though once we get over one hurdle another appears... Hoping you can help again with this one...

My DD has been waking earlier and earlier for the past week or so, we recently dropped her DF and that helped with the night wakings for a week or so, but now it's the early wakings.  It  started at 5:45, and has gotten earlier until today was 4:30 - she seems to be taking a full feed when she wakes - but maybe it is comfort sucking?  She usually wakes around 4am for a feed, but that has gotten earlier also, today was 2:30am. She went down for a nap at 6:30am (this is when I want her to wake for the day).  My DH says that I am putting her to bed to early and that she only needs 10hrs sleep... Is that the problem?

How old is your child? 6.5mos
What’s his/her daily routine?Used to be: E (bf) 5:45, E (cereal)7:00, S 8:00 (1.5 hrs) E(bf)10:00 E(cereal & fruit/veggie combo) S 12:00-12:30 (1.5-2hrs) E(bf)2:00 E (cereal and fruit) 3:00 S 4:00 (45 min) E (bf) 4:45 A bath,massage, cuddle, BF top up (she is usually very cranky at this time 6:45pm,  Wake and feed 3:45ish
What’s nap routine?2 naps and a cat nap
How long are naps? 1.50- 2hrs avg, sometimes one nap is only 1 hr, cat nap 45 min
What's bedtime routine? Time? bath, massage, 6:30
Do you bottle or breastfed?? BF
How much? or how long? 4 hr easy, 5-10 min
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) both
How many wakes per night? 1 to feed
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? starts to fuss, then full blown cry,
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? starts as mantra then cry
What have you tried to settle?? shhhh pat, PUPD
What do you do for A time and how long is it? exersauser, play on blanket, practice sitting, go to park
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? she is learning to sit, rolls alot, first tooth, eating solids
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)
She is eating solids 3-4x per day, and gobbles up 2-3 cubes plus cereal each time
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? paci sometimes
Do they have a lovie?no

What is going on?  Is it the teething, I can feel her first tooth breaking the surface as of 2 days ago? Is it the A time or the cat nap? 

I tried to keep her in her room and feed her to see if she would go back to sleep - but she was wide awake.  I also tried keeping her in her crib with a soother and her Ocean wonders but that only lasted 10min before she got upset.

Any help is much appreciated.
Jaime
Jaime - Toronto, Canada

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: Eary wakings getting earlier by the day.... please help
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 17:18:43 pm »
Quote (selected)
What is going on?  Is it the teething, I can feel her first tooth breaking the surface as of 2 days ago? Is it the A time or the cat nap?

It could be any or all of these things.  Have you tried pain meds 20 minutes before bed?

If you are going to try to cut out the catnap then everything will need to move up. Right now there is a lot of awake time from the second nap to bedtime.  Maybe do the cat nap earlier?

Offline torontomamma

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 12
  • A day at the beach!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 11:43:47 am »
It does seem like the teething is bothering her as she has been chewing on her blanket, but it doesn't seem to be affecting her naps.

I am going to try a number of different strategies and see if this helps...

Try to reduce time and have catnap earlier in schedule.
I am going to try switching to formula for the night feed and then try to ween, as I am unsure of how much she is taking.
For the feed I give her when she wakes for the day (4:30-5:30) I am going to try to delay that feed until 6am which is when we hope to have the regular wakeup time.  I will start with 5:30 and see what happens

What do you think of my plan?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Jaime
Jaime - Toronto, Canada

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 00:15:48 am »
I think having the catnap earlier will help.

Not sure what to tell you about formula.  I only FF so maybe you should ask that over on the breast feeding board.

Any wake up before your targeted wake time for the day should be treated as a night waking.  If you feed there is no activity and they go straight back to bed.  If you are not ffeeding then you do pat/shh or pu/pd.

I think it is good to pick a time that you aim for to wake up.  For us it was 7 he has to wait until at least 7 to eat cause he really isn't hungry before then.