Author Topic: I think we've lost our way a little...  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Rachael_T

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 28, 2006, 19:09:55 pm »
Sorry in advance for the length!!

Calum is 5.5 months old. I had a great 3 hour EASY going up until he hit about 3-4 months and it's all gone a bit to pot as he's transitioned to 4 hour eating but is usually sleeping for only 45 mins at a stretch. I have a bit of an idea from the nap forums as to what i have to do to sort it but i thought i'd run the whole thing past you all for advice anyway.

Our routine looks like this on an average day:

Awake between 4 and 4.30 am: Feed, generally takes a full 8oz and back to sleep
E: c7.15-30. Takes very little. Between 2-5 oz
A: 8.00
S: 8.40 wind down and sleeps for anything between 45 mins and 2 hours. It varies wildly
A: whenever he wakes up until next feed time 4 hours after his first
E: 11.15-11.30
   <this is where it all goes pear shaped>
A: anything between 12 and 3.30. I often try to get him down for a nap and fail between these hours. Although i know he's tired, he rarely sleeps. If he does, it's only 30-45 mins
E: 3.15-3.30
A: 3.30
S: 4.15-4.30 (sleeps for either 45 mins or 1 1/2 hours. again, varies wildly)
A: whenever he wakes until 7. In this time, from around 6.30 onwards, we do massage and bath
E: 7.00 Bedtime bottle (but not fed to sleep). Made with extra milk
S: 7.30 sleep

Then we start the whole thing again at 4-4.30

Generally he's good at going to sleep. Definitely in the morning and late afternoon and bedtime. I can put him down and he'll drift off alone. We had a blip when he learned to roll in his cot but i've figured now he only does that when i haven't done enough wind down. Most days he only does 45 minutes at each nap. I know he can do more but he doesn't often.

I've been wondering whether the 4 am wakening and the 45 min naps are linked? I definitely want to get rid of the early morning wakening as he's not taking the food he should at 7 and i'd like him to take more sleep during the day as he's often obviously knackered and overstimulated.

He's a mixture of textbook and spirited, with a little more of the spirited I think. Erm, what else do you need to know? I guess it's relevant that i have post natal depression and tend to get very stressed when he's over tired and grouchy. I am sure that doesn't help as i know already that he's pretty sensitive to my emotions.

Oh, and we've just begun weaning and it's going very well. He loved his carrots anyway  ;D

So, any suggestions?

I am thinking that i need to be much more consistent with naps. We don't have a regular wind down routine for naps and we probably should as we have a brilliant evening routine that works without fail. Any suggestions for good wind down routines? He gets very stimulated very easily so even me sitting in the room with him can be too much. He's so scared of missing something I think!
I was thinking maybe a classical music cd at low volume or something with him in his cot?

Also, how do i get him over the 45 minute bump? He has a dummy (though thankfully doesn't wake when it falls out) so maybe wake to sleep won't work for us?

How do we get rid of the 4am wakening? Will he drop it on his own if we can sort out the nap length? I know we shouldn't feed him but it's by far the quickest way to get him back to sleep and neither of us have much reserves to do PU/PD at that time.

Is there anything else you experts can see from his routine that i haven't thought about?

Well done for making it so far though this and a huge thank you for any advice offered!

Rachael

Offline Rachael_T

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: I think we've lost our way a little...
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 19:10:52 pm »
Oh and we used to DF at about 11 but have dropped it as it seemed to be making no difference to his sleep patterns.

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 19:37:13 pm »
Rachael
does your Lo wake at 7am in the morning or is this just feeding time?
lauren
Lauren x

Offline Rachael_T

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 19:45:26 pm »
Oops, no he doesn't. He usually wakes between 6.45 and 7.20 with a feeding time about half an hour after that

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 19:46:44 pm »
Hi Rachael

Just a point on your night feed;
I never gave Calum a full feed at night, only ever 3 or 4 oz, if you coniue to give 8oz he will find it difficult to stop waking for this feed, I would suggest cutting it – it would also mean he is hungry for his first feed, this is the reason you say he only take 2 – 5oz.

If (your) Calum is then taking all his milk in the core day hours, there is no need for him to wake at 0430ish for a feed.

Does he drain any of his bottles during the day?

What have you done so far (after reading the sleep boards) to stop the 45min naps?

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline Rachael_T

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 20:14:24 pm »
H does the night feed so has been giving him a full feed. He cut it down last night and hopefully we'll cut it further tonight. There is no way he's waking 'cos he's hungry. He burbles to himself for ages before he then builds up to a wail (which is what he does whenever he wakes from a nap after the 1st cycle as i've tried leaving him).

He doesn't drain his bottles regularly during the day but usually he has 6-7 oz, only occasionally taking 8oz. Obv in the morning he takes less 'cos he's been getting a full feed at night.

I haven't really tried much yet to sort the nap situation out. I've been working my way through Tracey's "solves all your problems" book and reading the boards to try and work out what sort of things i could be trying. I have gone in and tried to ease him over the wake up jolt at 45 mins but i am the worlds worst for noticing what time he dropped off to sleep and therefore when i should be there to try and keep him asleep. I also haven't been consistent with method for introducing naps, getting him over the 45 min bump or time of naps.

I would have posted this on the naps board but i think our problems may be wider than just sleeping. Most of the things i go to are in the afternoons (PND group for example) and usually they throw our timings out for naps. I know i am going to have to stop going but it's difficult as there's only me and another girl and if i didn't go then she's sitting there on her own every week. I know Calum is more important though and we won't be here after another month anyway.

We are relocating in the next month so we've been up and down the road (we're going to Aberdeenshire, 5 hours away from where i live now) to stay at my parents' place to househunt etc so his life has been anything but settled overall. I am not really sure whether to try and sort this out now or wait until we are settled somewhere and do it then.

Thanks so much for your help!

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 20:22:13 pm »
Rachael where are you staying just now?

I will get someone from naps to come and look at your post.  :-\
Lauren x

Offline Rachael_T

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 20:26:12 pm »
We're at our own house in Thurso at the minute and will be til we move to our new place, probably end Sept/Early Oct. We will have at least 2 more weekend trips down to Aberdeenshire before that though.

Thanks Lauren, i do appreciate it

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 20:28:23 pm »
Quite a distance then!! here was me thinking Fife to Aberdeen was a huge trip  ::) ::)
Lauren x

Offline Rachael_T

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 21:06:04 pm »
 :D It's a wee bit further than Fife to Aberdeen! It's not too bad though and thank goodness Calum's a great traveller!

I didn't realise you were in Scotland (though maybe should have guessed from your excellent taste in boys names  ;) ), whereabouts in Fife?

Offline Rachael_T

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 07:37:16 am »
Thanks Stacy, i'll give that a go. I have just been putting him to bed when he shows his sleep signs (rubbing eyes, yawning etc) but i'll try to keep him up and see what happens.

Rachael

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 16:25:56 pm »
Hi Rachel - Got her via the link on the spirited suppor thread.  I'll try to be more thorough later, but you could try weaning that early AM feed by using the gradual reduction/dilution method.  It should push those calories into the breakfast bottle.

Gotta run.  will post more later.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt