Author Topic: Want to stop  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Want to stop
« on: February 13, 2006, 23:48:29 pm »
I'm so embarassed saying this but I really need to lean on others right now.  I'm so stressed out.  For over a week I have been sick with the stomach flu.  I'm so sick of watching what I eat.  I'm off dairy, caffine, red meat and now SUGAR :'(  Grayson has terrible gas which I "think" is from sugar.  My supply is going down because I barely eat.  I have been trying to drink enough water and eat eoungh but it is SOOOOOOOOO hard.  I have two jobs, three kids and insonmia.  I HAVE HAD IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I would love breastfeeding if I didn't have to be so careful.  I have lost so much weight and I think my immune system is gone at the moment.  I have been sick more than well the last six weeks.  Which might be why I can't keep up with his demand right now.  Yikes this message is all over the place.  Can you tell I want to throw in the towel and take a vacation :-[ :'(

Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Re: Want to stop
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 02:53:34 am »
Jennifer i want to send you some hugs and tell you that i think it is important to do what is right for you and your family. although "breast is best" and all that, i personally have had both ends of the spectrum in experiences and i do think the challenges with BF can grow exponentially after baby #1. i BF dd1 for 13 mo and dd2 only for 3 mo as it was just not working. i think it is a hard decision to make, but i hope you find peace in whatever you choose to do and that you don't feel pressured to carry on if you are ill and unhappy with how things are going.  also know that you do not have to give it up completely if you want to find a compromise. you can balance FF and BF as your body would adjust to whatever number of feeds you choose to do (so if you do 1st and last feeds of the day your supply would settle at that level and the break you would have to eat right, rest a bit etc would probably help you both)

good luck and take care of yourself!!
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 03:10:38 am »
Jennifer I too want to send you hugs. I know how hard it is when your sick and things aren't going as smoothly as you'd like.
If you really think the right choice is to stop feeding, then I say go for it. Talk to your doctor about what formula is best for your LO and do what you feel is right. Making your stressy and upset is not doing you or your LO any good. Anyone who looks down on you for stopping should be ashamed. Do what you feel is right and make peace with yourself and your choice.
Kimberly

Offline ~tess~

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 03:38:02 am »
i remember when i had to cut out dairy and eggs when breastfeeding my son.  it was hard.  it was a sacrifice...and one i wasn't sure i could do!  or want to do, lol!  i had a limited menu myself and it  was hard not to get resentful.  but stuck it out.  it was hard.  but so worth it.  you can do this...if you want.  it comes to that.  would you regret stopping later on?  or do you feel your health at this point is more important?  you have to be well to give the best to your kids...so really think thru it all.  hope you come a decision you are comfortable with.  ((hugs))
~Tess~
DS, 13
DD, 12

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 08:06:25 am »
If you feel you've given it your all then do not feel ashamed of stopping breastfeeding, just be proud of the months of great nutrition you've allready given your LO, he has had the best possible start. Have you spoken to your doctor/lactation consultant regarding your concerns over your health? I hope you make the right decision for you and theat you get better soon  :)
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 14:05:52 pm »
Thanks ladies!!  I had NINE hours of sleep last night so I feel like a whole new woman ;)  My sweet dh told me to go to bed and let him get up with G.  The funny thing is he slept through 12 hours.  Dh slept in another room so that I wouldn't get woke up and when he came in at 7:00am and said he hadn't heard a peep from him I freaked.  I guess Grayson needed the sleep also.  Dh also asked me to try one more day just to see what I thought.  I was planning on that anyway.  You can't really make important decisions on no sleep.

I really appreciate the support ladies!  I'm going to try to find a way to get in more calories.  I think it would help my supply.  I never thought I would say I need MORE calories ::)
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 14:08:54 pm »
{{{{hugs}}}}  Sounds like you're trying so hard for you lo.  It looks like all the mamas have said what I wanted to say.  My only suggestion might be taking some of the meal replacement shakes to supplement your diet.  I'm not sure what type or if there are any that will help you avoid the foods that you need to, but it's an easy way to get the cals you need.   Or maybe even the bars.  They're jam packed full of nutrition. 

Again.  {{{{hugs}}}}
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

annamum

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 22:32:34 pm »
Jennifer,

<<<HUGS>>> and good luck! I hope you will be getting more rest now and it will start getting easier :-*.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 23:43:44 pm »
My goodness, Jen, I don't know how you do it, I really don't!! You havemy heartfelt admiration.

To get some more calories into you w/o sugar, you can try adding "good fats," like fish oil, flaxseed oil, and olive oil.  Make sure you're taking a good vitamin supplement, too, and maybe even some extra Vitamin C.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} to you, my dear - hang in there!!!! However you finally decide to go, it'll be the best for you and your family. I know this because you'e such a caring mom. :)

Diegos Mama

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 01:54:27 am »
Hi Jennifer,

Just wanted to mention that if you're having issues with eliminating, it can actually be harder to find a formula that agrees with him.  Have you been supplementing with something he tolerates well? If not, I think I'd pump for a while if you decide to make the switch in the event it is even harder.  When we found Emilio's intolerances, it was easier for me to watch MY diet, than to find things that agreed with him.  Just wanted to give you that heads up so you don't find yourself in an even harder predicament.  Of course, he may be just fine and that's cool, but good to be aware.

Hugs.

Offline jbepko

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 02:45:10 am »
I've got a MPSI lol also....and boy it can be hard. I have to work on high protein snacks- especially during workdays. My DH makes an "egg mcmuffin" for my breakfast- and I think the extra protein helps. Also peanut butter sandwich/bagel/toast. There are always multiple factors to consider (especially formular choice with MPSI)....but the nursing relationship is between you and your lo and if you aren't happy...then the relationship isn't working right. I've battled the MPSI and GERD with my LO...so I am with you. HTH.....they eventually grow up and eat on their own....and then we wish they were babies again!!
Jeni

Offline squeaky's mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • Sophie and Tom
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 10:09:18 am »
Hi Jennifer,

I just wanted to add a few words in support...

You are doing a fantastic job, this is one of the hardest jobs in the world and by taking it a day at a time you are giving yourself the best chance of seeing this through. I had major bf problems and got to the point of wanting to give up. I spoke to an anonymous bf councillor who really helped and the fact that I didn't know her helped tremendously. When I hit rock bottom with the bf I gave myself 2 weeks and if I didn't see an improvement in that time I would change to formula. In the end a week was all it took to see an improvement with support from my dh and bf councillor.

I am glad we did see it through because dd developed eczema which is in part caused by an intolerance to dairy. I am also vegetarian so it has caused us some problems with finding stuff to eat. Although you are off sugar there are loads of other foods that can give you energy, dairy products are one (although, I would watch this one if your lo seems to be intolerant to things) but also carbohydrates, such as brown bread, wholmeal pasta, basmati rice, bananas, oats, etc are all fantastic sources of energy. But they are full of the kind of energy that will sustain you for longer periods of time rather than the simple sugar you find in chocolate, sweets and other processed food. A really good place to start is all the books out there on the GI diet as this is designed to help people stabilise their blood sugar levels over the course of a day. Although the last thing you need is a diet, the recipies will help you figure out what you can eat, just eat loads of it.

I really wish you the best and I am sure that you can get through this. Do take care of yourself.

Best wishes

Claire
Claire

Mum to Sophie (08/07/2005) and Tom (09/02/2008)