Author Topic: Green watery poo - can this be normal?  (Read 1000 times)

Offline DJs mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
Green watery poo - can this be normal?
« on: January 30, 2013, 08:57:20 am »
I think I need some reassurance!
DD is 5 weeks old tomorrow.  I'm expressing for all her feeds.  She takes about 4 or 5 ounces at each feed (3 hourly mostly).  When I pump I get about 4 - 5 ounces from each breast so have milk in abundance.  I generally double pump for between 10 and 15 mins and this includes about 5 mins of pumping with no milk coming out (just doing this to keep up my supply - is that what I should be doing?)

What bothers me is the colour and consistency of her poo.  Sometimes it is just like green water.  Sometimes it's a bit thicker in consistency but still it's almost always some shade of green :-\  It's also often quite mucousy.
She's putting weight on well (put on a whole pound in the last 10 days!) and is generally quite settled.

My other DD who is now 3yo was milk protein intolerant (formula fed from about day 2) and I think I'm just anxious and worry that this DD will be the same.  Yesterday we gave her a bottle of formula for the first time and she was screaming or at least unsettled for most of the day :'(  I know it could have just been a coincidence but I fear she's MPI.  Would this mean I should cut out dairy from my diet?  Should we then notice a change in the colour of her poo?  If she's thriving and settled on breast milk does it matter if she has green mucousy poo?  Am I just worrying about nothing?

Thanks
Hazel

Offline PaulsMom

• Showing Appreciation 41
Re: Green watery poo - can this be normal?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 10:54:29 am »
If she's getting the green poos when taking EBM then she may be getting too much fore milk and not enough hind milk.  Is it possible to switch bottles or collection containers while pumping so that the initial bit of milk is collected separate from the hind milk?  If you are able to do that, then try just feeding her the hind milk part and see how her poos are.

Wrt expressing, I haven't exclusively bottle fed EBM but it sounds right. 

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 11:44:00 am »
Hi Hazel, regarding the amounts, check out http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

As for the green poos, how was your other DD with the MPI?  Was she uncomfortable and unhappy with the green poos as well and so this is different?  Have poos always been like this or is it a relatively new thing?
*** Amanda ***

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 14:26:58 pm »
I would as your Dr to check the green poop.
Yes if she is MPI you would need to cut milk products from your diet.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011